GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are your door sills naked or protected?

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
BTW, NGP seems to have this stuff again. I ordered the sill guards and they've already shipped.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I have the RGM Sillguards as well, really well made. Install instructions are good too you just have to really take your time.

I thought mine were installed perfectly but after a month or so I've noticed some white marks where some type of friction is happening. It's pretty tight in there so quite possibly some dirt was on the sillguard and then the door was closed. Didn't notice anything on my door paint in the area of the scuff.

Thinking next time I detail the car I might do some xpel tape on the area of each door that is "in contact" with the sillguards. I'm generally OCD about things like this but it's the bottom of the doors and I will never see it. Will just have to check the xpel after a week or so to make sure it's not causing more of a problem than it potentially solves.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Has anyone tried applying a plastidip? Seems like you could pretty quickly mask off the interior opening and door panel with some plastic and get a custom application sprayed on. Overkill??

I like this idea. With proper prep it should be fairly easy and get the job done well. The only thing I can see being an issue is that plasti dip isnt the MOST durable stuff out there, but for the cost of a can and a few coats you could re apply it every few months/years depending on use and be happy.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
It's not about putting your foot there. It's about dust and grit that falls from your boots and shoes and gets ground between the sill and the door bottom. I had this problem on my '16 R. Took it to the dealer, and the service manager told me that it happens fairly often, and that no, it's not a defect, because it's external matter getting in there in the normal course of use. In my case, it wore off about an eight inch by quarter-inch strip down to bare metal. Cost me about $600 to have it fixed (at the same time I had a nasty door ding fixed, and that itself was another $500 or so).

I now have clear protective chip guard tape on that spot, and some carbon fiber tape protectors I got cheap on Amazon I may install if I need to. In my case, living on a dirt road in a state with tons of road salt, I never touched the sill with my footwear. The crap falling off of my shoes though did the trick.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
I had custom clear bra pieces put on the door sills (and top of the rear bumper for the hatch area) when I had my car done. Mainly for my dog getting in and out of the car.
They work and you can't see anything.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
BTW, NGP seems to have this stuff again. I ordered the sill guards and they've already shipped.

I ordered mine today. They were out of stock when I got my car and went with gorilla tape. Forgot about them until this thread got revived.

Btw, the gorilla tape held up well. After a year it was still clear and came off without any residue.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I got them because my 4 year old is clumsy and slips on or otherwise touches the door sills on his way in/out. He was able to do a safe and paint contaxt free enter/exit on my MINI but the high jamb coupled with how narrow it is makes it impossible at this stage :/

pwomble

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered Sillguards from NGP last night and my order shipped today!

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Naked. But even a protective film wouldn't have saved me from this dumbass move:

I was measuring my roof rack spacing and the (too large for the job) tape measure slipped from my hands and bounced off the sill. I'll eventually remove the trim and get a paintless dent wizard to fix it.

Scott

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Naked. But even a protective film wouldn't have saved me from this dumbass move:

I was measuring my roof rack spacing and the (too large for the job) tape measure slipped from my hands and bounced off the sill. I'll eventually remove the trim and get a paintless dent wizard to fix it.

Scott

Sillguards would have prevented.
Sillguards would also cover this without repair. FYI.

pgh_dshaw

Ready to race!
When it rains, the water goes through the doors, hits the sills, and runs off or lays there. I'd be worried about moisture with the plastic sill guards.

pgh_dshaw

Ready to race!
3 years, no issues.
Never seen them wet unless door was open while raining.
Let you know how it goes.

Wish mine was like that. Both mk7 GTI's I've had have always had water sitting on the sill after a rain. What doesn't run off, lays there until it's wiped or dries. Even after having the whole cracked speaker seals issue fixed multiple times.