GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI is gone and the replacement is here

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Nice!

Curious if you even looked at Volkswagen's SUV offerings and how they compared. Did you just get the Durango because it looks more sporty and the lure of a rumbly V-8? Or were there features and utility the Durango offered over the VW?

I won't ask about fit and finish as I know people that work the assembly line at FCA and you don't want to hear the stories.

I actually cross-shopped both Atlas and Durango. The Durango was a little more sportier/faster, and definitely had a lot of cool interior features, but the Atlas was a bit bigger and just felt put together better. So i would have chosen the Atlas over the Durango. Ended up keeping the GTI and super happy with my decision. Thanks for delivery services :D

meatatarian

I love the practicality of hatches / wagons and would love to have one in the garage anytime. But when you need a vehicle with a third row, the options are limited. Yes the mini vans are more practically but some people don’t like to drive one and it’s as simple as that.

I would totally disagree with your statement that SUVs are not safer on the road. Safety on the road depends on the driver and not the vehicle what they drive. I have come across unsafe drivers who own a hatch or wagon. And some of the current generation SUVs have come a long way and they handle pretty good.

There was a time when a myth was floating around “You are not an enthusiast unless you own a vehicle with NA engine” when turbos came in. Then came these ones “You are not an enthusiast unless you own a vehicle with manual transmission”, “You are not an enthusiast unless you own a hatch are wagon”. One has to understand that every enthusiast would like to own a perfect car but its limited by family, health or financial needs.

This is a great point! For me, the GTI was a compromise of circumstances. I had a Cayman and an E36 M3 prior- I moved into a denser area and can only have one car and my needs were such that unless I compromised with my car I'd have to majorly compromise other areas of my life and ultimately I'd rather have an imperfect driver's car and a fuller life- more money and time for other pursuits!

Cars are great and fun and I'll always try to have some sort of enthusiast vehicle, but it's just one small piece of a fuller picture of life.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
This is a great point! For me, the GTI was a compromise of circumstances. I had a Cayman and an E36 M3 prior- I moved into a denser area and can only have one car and my needs were such that unless I compromised with my car I'd have to majorly compromise other areas of my life and ultimately I'd rather have an imperfect driver's car and a fuller life- more money and time for other pursuits!

Cars are great and fun and I'll always try to have some sort of enthusiast vehicle, but it's just one small piece of a fuller picture of life.

Yeah people miss the bigger picture many a times when it comes into cars. Typical statements in forums: You are not an enthusiast unless you own a ......... ! I wish people would move on and accept the fact that car buying decisions has a lot of other influences as well. In my case, i might not own a sporty car but i have take up automotive as my career for a reason.

Verichai

Passed Driver's Ed
I would totally disagree with your statement that SUVs are not safer on the road. Safety on the road depends on the driver and not the vehicle what they drive. I have come across unsafe drivers who own a hatch or wagon. And some of the current generation SUVs have come a long way and they handle pretty good.

About 15 years ago I witnessed a horrible accident on the highway. I was riding my motorcycle in the left lane. The Honda Civic in front of me blew a tire and the driver lost control. What happened next was in slow motion, as the Civic careened out of control and into the right lane, a woman in an SUV attempted to take evasive action and swerved onto the shoulder. Her inputs were aggressive, understandably, but the thing just started rolling, end over end. As I am watching this whole thing unfold in front of me, she gets ejected from the passenger side window as the SUV tumbles. She died at the scene. Her daughter and a friend who had been in the back seat were wearing their seat belts and only suffered minor injuries. Obviously, every accident is unique, but I do remember thinking that if she had been driving a car instead of an SUV, she would have just lost control instead of rolling it.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Looks like those scenes are still vivid in your memories. Its really sad to know that the woman passed away after the accident.

cb1111

About 15 years ago I witnessed a horrible accident on the highway. I was riding my motorcycle in the left lane. The Honda Civic in front of me blew a tire and the driver lost control. What happened next was in slow motion, as the Civic careened out of control and into the right lane, a woman in an SUV attempted to take evasive action and swerved onto the shoulder. Her inputs were aggressive, understandably, but the thing just started rolling, end over end. As I am watching this whole thing unfold in front of me, she gets ejected from the passenger side window as the SUV tumbles. She died at the scene. Her daughter and a friend who had been in the back seat were wearing their seat belts and only suffered minor injuries. Obviously, every accident is unique, but I do remember thinking that if she had been driving a car instead of an SUV, she would have just lost control instead of rolling it.
and had she been wearing her seatbelt then she would have survived.

Given basic safety features (seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, ABS) and no ridiculous action on the part of the driver (DUI/ absurd speed/reckless) then most accidents are survivable.

This death was avoidable.

Back in the early 70's I was walking home from school in Munich and saw a guy in an Opel Kadett (probably a 63 to 68 model) rearend a city bus. I don't think he was going that fast (20-30mph?) but by the time we got there we saw that he was impaled by the steering column. This was before seatbelts, airbags, collapsible columns or soft interior surfaces.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Kindly update as to how your new beast of a ride is treating you! thx

There were some minor issues which were taken care by warranty. Its been a family hauler for the past 5 months and everyone is satisfied.

I am very happy with the overall package offered by the D.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I am very happy with the overall package offered by the D.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Finally, i am happy to be "officially" back with another GTI. I didnt want to create another new buyer thread, so just reviving my old discussion.

Latest addition to my garage is 2019 GTI Rabbit. I finalized this deal early this month and took delivery over the weekend from one of the dealers in DC area.

Initially i was planning to get the last MK7.5 MY GTI sold in US (probably MY20) but i sealed the deal this month because of the following reasons.
- VW is ending People's warranty by MY19.
- Dealer offered $6700 off sticker.
- Cloth seats will only be available in the base trim for MY20 and i didn want the base trim.
- Rabbit trim offers most features i want and i prefer a vehicle with less tech in it.
- Didn want to spend more on a MY20 SE.

I have bought most of my vehicles from DC area dealers and we always get a good road trip while taking delivery of our vehicles. We prefer driving through the inner roads as much as we can and this trip was very special as its the first proper road trip with our 7 month old baby.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Finally, i am happy to be "officially" back with another GTI. I didnt want to create another new buyer thread, so just reviving my old discussion.

Latest addition to my garage is 2019 GTI Rabbit. I finalized this deal early this month and took delivery over the weekend from one of the dealers in DC area.

Initially i was planning to get the last MK7.5 MY GTI sold in US (probably MY20) but i sealed the deal this month because of the following reasons.
- Cloth seats will only be available in the base trim for MY20 and i didn want the base trim.
- Rabbit trim offers most features i want and i prefer a vehicle with less tech in it.

I have bought most of my vehicles from DC area dealers and we always get a good road trip while taking delivery of our vehicles. We prefer driving through the inner roads as much as we can and this trip was very special as its the first proper road trip with our 7 month old baby.
It's cool that you take your little kid on road trips. Enjoy the Rabbit.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Still have the Durango? If so, hows it doing for y'all?

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!

Nice! Welcome back!