GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sleeper

depth_charged

Ready to race!
Who are these cars considered sleepers by? I'm pretty sure most car enthusiasts would know what they are looking at... with the exception of the Accord 2.0T, which I don't think anyone knew was a thing or would consider a sleeper.

lostru

Ready to race!
There aren't that many down here in Arkansas so many think the fastest VW is the GTI. You have to explain what the R is. Doesn't help that VW is now slapping an R on almost everything.

civicdrivr

Ready to race!
Who are these cars considered sleepers by? I'm pretty sure most car enthusiasts would know what they are looking at... with the exception of the Accord 2.0T, which I don't think anyone knew was a thing or would consider a sleeper.

The "big" motor Accords were always decent sleepers. The 2.0T is no exception. I seriously considered a Sport 2.0T 6MT as a replacement to the GTI but the open diff and some of the other features it was down compared to VW swayed me away. It was definitely a quick car though.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I like that no one bugs me while I’m enjoying my relaxing drive on the weekends in my R.
Such a sleeper even minivans and slow SUV’s tries to out accelerate me at a merge thinking my grocery getter is slow. At those times I like to release a little R goodness to remind them they are driving the slow car.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4

I think sleeper by most definitions does not include enthusiasts as the people who get to rate something as a "sleeper". We know what we're looking at

- Everyone thinks a Ferrari is fast because it looks fast (enthusiast or not) - not a sleeper.
- Mercedes E63S AMG - some (not enthusiasts) may pass this off as just a Merc sedan.... until it blows the doors off their camarustang. This is a sleeper (barely)
- Old B5 S4 in good condition - most people think, "Old audi". We see an upgraded exhaust and hear lots of intake / spool - "That's probably fast" - sleeper.

Last edited:

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I think sleeper by most definitions does not include enthusiasts as the people who get to rate something as a "sleeper". We know what we're looking at

- Everyone thinks a Ferrari is fast because it looks fast (enthusiast or not) - not a sleeper.
- Mercedes E63S AMG - some (not enthusiasts) may pass this off as just a Merc sedan.... until it blows the doors off their camarustang. This is a sleeper (barely)
- Old B5 S4 in good condition - most people think, "Old audi". We see an upgraded exhaust and hear lots of intake / spool - "That's probably fast" - sleeper.

To add to this, the R is very understated with the silver accents. The GTI is much more "boy racer" than the R simply due to design queues. The R just looks like a poverty spec golf when compared side by side to a GTI.

The only cars I don't even bother trying to beat at lights when I need to be somewhere these days are Teslas. I'm like, heh, nope, not even gonna bother.