GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 87octane JB4 or APR?

hockeynut258

This is dumb. Don’t buy an is20 or mod your car if you want to use 87 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s only a 19hp/7ftlb difference 87 to 91. I’ll leave that on the table and still be up 104hp/113ftlb over stock while keeping fuel options and daily cost down. I don’t care about 1/4 time and trap speed.

But I am going to install an intake to scavenge a few more ponies out of it! ;)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
This is dumb. Don’t buy an is20 or mod your car if you want to use 87 octane.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It’s only a 19hp/7ftlb difference 87 to 91. I’ll leave that on the table and still be up 104hp/113ftlb over stock while keeping fuel options and daily cost down. I don’t care about 1/4 time and trap speed.

But I am going to install an intake to scavenge a few more ponies out of it! ;)

It is beyond dumb. look up low speed pre-ignition and then think again if the tiny amount of money you'll save is worth blowing up your engine. I would never put 87 octane in. Even when stock. Save that junk for a naturally aspirated car. If you want power, you should only run premium. Otherwise leave it stock. And as far as your STI, don't put an is20 and tune on the golf unless you want the STI to be the slow daily driver.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It is beyond dumb. look up low speed pre-ignition and then think again if the tiny amount of money you'll save is worth blowing up your engine. I would never put 87 octane in. Even when stock. Save that junk for a naturally aspirated car. If you want power, you should only run premium. Otherwise leave it stock. And as far as your STI, don't put an is20 and tune on the golf unless you want the STI to be the slow daily driver.

The real reason he wants to go with 87 octane, to keep it from beating his STI too badly :p.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Have low timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Or the wife doesn't want to use anything but 87...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Or the wife doesn't want to use anything but 87...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

But the wife wants a bigger turbo?

It's pretty simple: Either get the 87 octane tune from APR and run 87 octane, or get an IS20 and run premium. you can't really have your cake and eat it too when it comes to increasing power on a turbo car. If you understand how turbos make power, it's not difficult to comprehend that it's inadvisable to run a bigger turbo and pushing significantly more power (like, 30%+), without running 91+ octane. and as said before, research LSPI (low speed preignition) before continuing with your decision.

I am 24, make $15 an hour, and I can afford 93. On my stock power GTI. You can too.

Note that, were I in your situation, I would STILL run 93, even on the 87 octane tune. Even Arin has said that 87 octane is trash and he would never run it, even if he had an 87 octane tune on his car lol. An APR representative said he would not do that.

hockeynut258

Thanks for the input guys, some more helpful.

APR has a 87 IS20 tune. I talked to them last week which sparked this thread. But now you’re saying it’s a bad tune? Why would they even release it then? Are they known for sketchy business? That’s not the vibe I’ve gotten from here or corresponding with them. Pretty gimmicky to advertise something that is just a joke. If it was just a test to see what’d happen why develop and sell it?

It’s not mainly about the cost savings as I’ve said (however I just drove 1000 miles today and 93 was 0.80 more per gallon, $25 difference in 1 day) but about fuel flexibility. If you’ve driven through west Texas and the Rockies there are some places without premium. if APR is just selling fairy dust then I’ll scratch them off the list as a reputable tuner and let my dream of eating 87 octane cake with a big spoon die.

My wife would love a faster car lol

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Thanks for the input guys, some more helpful.

APR has a 87 IS20 tune. I talked to them last week which sparked this thread. But now you’re saying it’s a bad tune? Why would they even release it then? Are they known for sketchy business? That’s not the vibe I’ve gotten from here or corresponding with them. Pretty gimmicky to advertise something that is just a joke. If it was just a test to see what’d happen why develop and sell it?

It’s not mainly about the cost savings as I’ve said (however I just drove 1000 miles today and 93 was 0.80 more per gallon, $25 difference in 1 day) but about fuel flexibility. If you’ve driven through west Texas and the Rockies there are some places without premium. if APR is just selling fairy dust then I’ll scratch them off the list as a reputable tuner and let my dream of eating 87 octane cake with a big spoon die.

My wife would love a faster car lol

Well the thing is you can still do an 87 octane tune and enjoy gains, but you should STILL use 91+ octane. LSPI is a condition that can occur in forced induction (turbo/supercharged) engines that your knock sensors cannot sense before it happens. if it happens, your engine blows up, literally. and it is caused by using 87 or lower fuel in a turbo engine. you can run regular on the stock tune fine, because it is designed for regular.

APR's 87 octane tune, while "designed for regular," is still pushing the boost significantly higher than stock, which puts it past the "safe for 87" level. you might be fine, you might not ever experience any issues (besides pulling timing all the time). but you also might need a new engine. or, the loss of power in the wrong situation could lead to something worse than "a new engine," if you catch my drift.

APR makes an 87 octane tune because they are a massive business, the largest in the VAG tuning community. and they want to have a product offering for all customers. the same way that McDonald's has "salads" on their menu, to have a product offering for their "health-conscious consumers." but in reality those salads are over a thousand calories, and are just as unhealthy due to the pesticides used in the produce and the preservatives in the meats and the fat in the dressings.

businesses do not give a shit about you. especially not big ones. they want your money. We're not saying these things to be rude or mean to you, we're saying this because this is how it is. If you want to run an 87 tune that's totally cool man, I'll probably even do that on my next car. but I will still run premium on it, for maximum safety, and assured power delivery amidst high IATs and boost levels (and better gas mileage, lol)

one last note: I drove my car thru Kansas the other year, and I know what you mean about going tens and even over a hundred miles without finding a station with premium. but if you're doing that, just use a trip planner. it just takes a little planning. as the saying goes, you have to pay to play. don't try to cheat the system, because very often it will bite you in the ass and cost you more money and frustration than it would've had you just done it correctly in the first place. and i am speaking from plenty of experience in that realm.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I don’t think a turbo and a tune is going to net you 100HP... certainly not on 87.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo