GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! Accidentally used synthetic blend..

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
PQIAmerica, which tests lots of different auto fluids has checked CAM2 oils before and they all meet or exceed the API specifications for all major auto makers. Any oil that meets or exceeds these standards is safe in your car.

http://www.pqiamerica.com

The only thing I'd say is a little off-putting is they seem to use a recycled base for their blends which in and of itself is not a bad thing as long as the oil meets the standards.

The company that makes CAM2 also makes race-proven products so if they are working for race car engines, they should work in your consumer-grade engine.

There's no need to be scared and remove the oil tomorrow. Your car is not going to die. Instead of doing that, just check it periodically and see that it's still clear and is at the right level. Maybe don't wait until 5000 miles to change it and instead go 3000. But no need to panic. This isn't like you put honey in the car instead of motor oil.

adam1991

Banned
PQIAmerica, which tests lots of different auto fluids has checked CAM2 oils before and they all meet or exceed the API specifications for all major auto makers. Any oil that meets or exceeds these standards is safe in your car.

http://www.pqiamerica.com

The only thing I'd say is a little off-putting is they seem to use a recycled base for their blends which in and of itself is not a bad thing as long as the oil meets the standards.

The company that makes CAM2 also makes race-proven products so if they are working for race car engines, they should work in your consumer-grade engine.

There's no need to be scared and remove the oil tomorrow. Your car is not going to die. Instead of doing that, just check it periodically and see that it's still clear and is at the right level. Maybe don't wait until 5000 miles to change it and instead go 3000. But no need to panic. This isn't like you put honey in the car instead of motor oil.

so, your advice is to ignore that he put oil in that doesn't meet the manufacturer's spec? As long as it meets OTHER specs?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
so, your advice is to ignore that he put oil in that doesn't meet the manufacturer's spec? As long as it meets OTHER specs?
API SN and ILSAC GF-5 are both the top rating in both of those scales. While that might not meet the specifications of the VW approved standard 502 in all criteria, it is not going to break the engine.

As for the container not saying it meets 502, so does a quart of Mobil 1. Doesn't say it but it is. So, while this particular oil might not say it and it might not be it, that doesn't mean it's going to kill her car. Unless she's going to track it tomorrow, there's no reason to change it. If she drives it normally for a few months, she'll be just fine.

So yes, I am saying just that

adam1991

Banned
Well, even VW says it won't break the engine--but they do say to change it at the soonest opportunity, per the owner's manual.

jackalope

Ready to race!
People are saying it's no big deal...

Well the car has a turbo that gets very hot and spins at many thousands of rpm. Pretty sure you don't want to have it lubricated by the wrong oil

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I could be wrong but I don't believe the turbos have oil supplies to the bearings these days. That went away a long time ago.

And anyway. When you say "wrong type of oil"? Oil is oil, as long as its viscosity falls in the right range and it's not full of impurities then it is functionally identical to any other oil and won't cause short term damage. Long term it may degrade differently and need to be changed sooner of course.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Elwood

3-7-77
And anyway. When you say "wrong type of oil"? Oil is oil, as long as its viscosity falls in the right range and it's not full of impurities then it is functionally identical to any other oil and won't cause short term damage. Long term it may degrade differently and need to be changed sooner of course.

Non-synthetic oil will break down and coke in the turbo when you shut off the car. That was the problem the early 1.8Ts had years ago when VW came up with the new oil specs (502, 505, etc). They even put bigger oil filters on the cars thinking that would help, but although there was some success, it was limited.

danall

Passed Driver's Ed
API SN and ILSAC GF-5 are both the top rating in both of those scales. While that might not meet the specifications of the VW approved standard 502 in all criteria, it is not going to break the engine.
I agree it likely will not "kill the car" but if something engine related was to go bad it would give VW an out to not cover it. Just a matter if one wishes to take that risk.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I could be wrong but I don't believe the turbos have oil supplies to the bearings these days. That went away a long time ago.

Umm, don't trust this guys advice. It's not that he could be wrong, it's that he is wrong.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Umm, don't trust this guys advice. It's not that he could be wrong, it's that he is wrong.
Lol, .. dry bearing turbos do exist, I assumed that the industry was moving that way some time ago to remove the normal issues you see with wet turbos.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

I don't mean to pick on this guy, but basically everything in this post is false. Pretty much every production car turbo uses oil for both lubrication and cooling. Journal bearing turbos cannot function without it, event for a very short time.

"Oil is oil" is also VERY wrong. Oils have additive packages that resist absorbing water, raise their smoke point, reduce coking, along with a whole lot else.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

As for the container not saying it meets 502, so does a quart of Mobil 1. Doesn't say it but it is. So, while this particular oil might not say it and it might not be it, that doesn't mean it's going to kill her car. Unless she's going to track it tomorrow, there's no reason to change it. If she drives it normally for a few months, she'll be just fine.

So yes, I am saying just that

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets VW spec.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
"Oil is oil" is also VERY wrong. Oils have additive packages that resist absorbing water, raise their smoke point, reduce coking, along with a whole lot else.

I think the point I was making is that "oil designed for car engines is all approximately the same". Very minor variations in formulation and additives is all you will see between the different ratings for the different manufacturers. No one is suggesting you can swap in chip fat and be ok...

As for the turbos thing.. I read years back that some were going to dry bearings but I guess that didn't catch on in the end..