GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Stage 1 Engine & Tranny Mounts

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
So I am pretty sensitive to NVH and because my car is a daily driver I try to keep it comfortable. I have shied away from motor mounts for a long time because I was worried about NVH. I even replaced my busted up stock mounts with new stock mounts last time.

Well I like stock mounts for about a day (exaggeration) before they get soft and slop rears it's ugly head. I wanted to go Superpro but after dropping a bunch of $$$ on other mods looked for another option. I ended up rolling the dice on BFI stage 1.

So I just replaced my dogbone bushing with a new factory bushing and run a 034 insert and am very happy with that combo in regards to NVH so I left it as is and did not install the BFI insert provided in the kit.

Having done the mounts prior I open the hood and drop in the BFI tranny and engine mounts.

I am happy to report the mounts are very livable for a daily driver. You do get more vibration in gear at idle (DSG) but not a big deal. You feel a bit more of the engine under acceleration but it is a very tolerable (might say better) NVH. With a DSG under deceleration you do get a bit more NVH just as you stop. Cruising on the freeway or at a constant speed it's like stock.

So very happy with it. I do think had I installed the BFI dogbone insert instead of keeping my 034 insert there would be a bit more NVH.

Just FYI, if installing this kit be sure to get new tranny mount bolts as they are stretch to yield.

Attachments

• IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,083
  • IMG_1367 (1).JPG
    IMG_1367 (1).JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,051
  • IMG_1443 (1).JPG
    IMG_1443 (1).JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 2,355
  • IMG_1431 (1).JPG
    IMG_1431 (1).JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,252

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
See, BFI ftw.

Once you hit about 1,000 miles they’ll soften up noticeably. My stage 2 (full set) mounts have almost 60,000 miles on them and still look and perform like new

Aphron

CW :)!
Almost bought the bfi stage 1 set as I’m tired of these crappy oem mounts.. ended up getting 034 dogbone insert and 034 motor and tranny mounts. They are going in Saturday, hope I don’t regret not going bfi. Either way they can’t be worse than crappy oem.. the throttle lift into deceleration then giving light throttle in traffic is horrendous. Was just as bad on my 2016 manual GTI

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I did 034 engine/trans + APR Steel Insert and the vibrations from the APR were pretty miserable for 500 miles. at 1.2K miles since install, and I would describe vibrations as what would be OEM for, say, a Nissan Versa. I'm super happy with the performance increase and general lack of vibrations, besides the same instances you noted. DSG downshifting 2-1 below ~5mph upon stopping, and in Neutral/reverse. fine in D when stopped. it's like stock with AC off. I'm looking forward to Uni Stage 1+ ECU/TCU in 10K miles when I get my carbon cleaning, new tires, and plugs/coils, so that I can really put the new stiffness to good use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
I did 034 engine/trans + APR Steel Insert and the vibrations from the APR were pretty miserable for 500 miles. at 1.2K miles since install, and I would describe vibrations as what would be OEM for, say, a Nissan Versa. I'm super happy with the performance increase and general lack of vibrations, besides the same instances you noted. DSG downshifting 2-1 below ~5mph upon stopping, and in Neutral/reverse. fine in D when stopped. it's like stock with AC off. I'm looking forward to Uni Stage 1+ ECU/TCU in 10K miles when I get my carbon cleaning, new tires, and plugs/coils, so that I can really put the new stiffness to good use

How many miles are you doing a carbon cleaning?

Hans

Ready to race!
Maybe I am old, and/or more concerned about NVH like the OP, but my factory mounts feel fine to me at 46k. With by DG springs and Performance all seasons (don’t laugh), there are still some bumps and road imperfections around these parts that make my cringe. I don’t do a lot of hard launch starts, so I don’t experience wheel hop very often. BFI is local to me, so if/when I decide to replace, they would be my first option likely.

Mars1

Ready to race!
Been running the bfi stage 1 mounts for about 40k miles now, I forget I have them on. If I ever replace the bushings, I'l go with the stage 2 bushings I think.

I installed a revo pendulum bushing the other day, that added some nhv. I had the 034 insert before, I agree the BFI insert would add a bit more nvh than the 034.

Still good for a daily, hooks up pretty good with no wheel hop.

Aphron

CW :)!
Almost got the same set you did, but ended up getting 034 engine and tranny mount plus the dogbone insert. Installed everything today took about 3 hours total, engine mount took the longest because it moved a good amount and had to realign, tranny and dogbone were easy after removing everything. Little bit of vibration from stock, but if you never set foot in the car before youd think it was stock. Moving the drive selector through reverse down to drive was suprising no more clunking or moving at all. Taking off from a dead stop is amazing doesn't have that elastic rubberband feel after you hit the throttle. Coming to a stop is a lot better as well as the downshifts are crisper, amazing upgrade for 350 ish including all new bolts. Id imagine the bfi would be just as amazing! If you're on the fence you probably cant go wrong with either, really tightens everything up!

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
Just installed the stage 1 BFI insert alone today. Roads are currently raining so I haven’t been able to get on it too much. Car feels so much tighter in daily driving and shifts are definitely more direct feeling. Vibrations are noticeable, especially in reverse, but I am sure they will calm down after a few hundred miles. I’ll definitely be doing their full stage 1 mounts when the time comes.