GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do I remove the center console?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Can anyone point me to a video or step by step for removing the center console on NAR Mk7s? I have the workshop manual but it only has instructions for the ROW console, which is different enough that the instructions don’t work for the NAR version.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
About 2 or 3 years ago I do a video or pictures of someone removing everything but I can’t find it now, I’ll keep looking maybe I saved the link on my PC or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
About 2 or 3 years ago I do a video or pictures of someone removing everything but I can’t find it now, I’ll keep looking maybe I saved the link on my PC or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, but I should have been more specific, namely, NAR MK7s other than the R and e-Golf. They have a different console and the trim pieces that make up the sides and top are completely different even though they look similar fully assembled.

ofektal8

Passed Driver's Ed
you can try to find the center console on ebay and look for bolt holes or clips, it helps me when i try to take something off

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I just removed mine recently, could not find any helpful DIY's other than a diagram.

I'm kicking myself for not making a video when reinstalling it, could have cashed in on that youtube money :D:D

seriously though - I may make an instructional video. won't actually take it apart again but I think it will help. if you can wait til the weekend I'll do it while it's daylight. I don't have a garage...

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I just removed mine recently, could not find any helpful DIY's other than a diagram.

I'm kicking myself for not making a video when reinstalling it, could have cashed in on that youtube money :D:D

seriously though - I may make an instructional video. won't actually take it apart again but I think it will help. if you can wait til the weekend I'll do it while it's daylight. I don't have a garage...

That would be helpful, thanks!

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE

Same boat as you. Unheated garage without power.

This is from memory

Pull shifter all the way up and cover brake with a towel and secure it with tape.
Remove shifter surround and pry up the metal reinforcement bracket
Remove shifter and boot
Pull out the cubby
Remove now exposed torx bolts for the shifter surround
Remove faceplate for climate control
Slowly pull pins for climate control
Remove now exposed torx bolts
Remove footwell paneling
Remove rear console side bolts (under plastic covers visible from the rear seats
Remove rear vent
Remove the 2 bolts on the bottom
Lift up center console and support with a rolled up towel
Unplug all the 12v and other connections
Pull out the console

I probably missed a step but I'm at a bar [emoji2369]

PM me if you want to chat or talk on the phone. A walkthrough is deserved but I'm lacking light/electricity in my cheap rental garage. If no one does a diy soon I'll make one in the spring

P.S. DO NOT REMOVE the trim piece highlighted in yellow in the attached photo. You can remove the console without touching this peice. And if you remove it you will break most of the clips lol

Last edited:

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Remove the little metal support under the shifter. That why the handle got mangled. Thanks for putting a video together!