GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much do you LOVE your Golf R? HELP!

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
I’m kicking around the thought of getting an R maybe MK6 but most likely MK7, but am on the fence about a few things. I have been lusting after an R for a couple years.

I currently own a 2011 GTI and love it. The versatility and practicality of it is awesome. I’m not making a ton of power but the traction is limited even now.The hatch aspect is perfect for what I need for camping, biking, dog, people hauling, active lifestyle etc.

I also own a 1999 Corvette C5 that resides in the garage most of the time. I have moved to Austin and rarely drive the Vette seeing how everything is so close. I work from home so “enjoying” the commute to work is nonexistent. I have had my Vette for 11 years and feel like it’s time to move on.
I am debating selling my Vette and trading in/selling my GTI to have one Golf R.

The question is, will the R fill the performance aspect void that I will have if I sell my Vette? (Different animals, I know) After a few mods, I’m sure the speed and handling will be more than enough. What do you love/hate about your R??

dynastyss

Ready to race!
Great car. Good power, practical, comfortable.

Only thing I really hate is it creaks a bit, and the leather seats look like shit real quick.

Mjonesjr8

Passed Driver's Ed
if it helps I had a '13 Corvette Grand Sport and sold it after I got the "R" and have not missed anything but, the looks of the vette. Of course right now the R doesn't have the power but, i'm not missing it at all and will be easy enough to boost the power in the future if I feel I need to. I never ever thought I would own a VW or had I even heard of the "R" until i was looking at Audi and a friend suggested I look at the R, I could not be happier.

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
@Mjonesjr8 - that does help, Vettes are never "practical" its more of a toy, I figure move on to the R and if I feel the itch to get one again, maybe pick up a late C6 or C7.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The R is objectively a fabulous car, especially if you view it from the perspective of how well rounded it is. That same balance, though, means it is less visceral than many other rides you might want. It certainly won't look as sporty/fast/sexy as a 'Vette, nor will it register as such with anyone else (that may or may not be an issue for people).

Me, I like the subtlety of the car. It has a nice quality vibe to it on the inside (even though, yeah, the leather upholstery is not that great, but then, short of cars costing $50k+, most leather seats are kind of a disappointment), a restrained sophistication on the outside, and excellent performance wrapped up in rather polite manners. But it definitely lacks even the rambunctiousness of a regular GTI.

Depends on what you are looking for I suppose.

GTI_Guy13

Passed Driver's Ed
I had an MK6 GTI and loved the car. This past August I upgraded to an MK7 R and haven't looked back. Everywhere the GTI shined the R shines brighter and where the GTI fell short the R picks up some slack. I have yet to tune the R, but stock GTI to stock R is a night and day difference. Additionally, I went from a 6MT GTI to a DSG R and don't regret it.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Only thing I really hate is it creaks a bit, and the leather seats look like shit real quick.

After 3 years mine doesn't creak and the leather looks great. I must be doing something wrong.

I'm not very fond of Vettes, but they do have a certain presence. That can be good or bad, depending on the moment and on how you feel about such things.

Neil

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
After 3 years mine doesn't creak and the leather looks great. I must be doing something wrong.

Neil

2 years, but same here. No odd creaks/vibrations and my leather seats look practically as good as the day I bought the car. Only noise it really ever made was the passenger rear seat rocking back and forth from start/stops and the latch for the seat release would click from the movement. I wrapped both latches in thin felt and haven't heard the noise since.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
My vote: keep the Vette and spring for an R. Two very different animals but each is great in its own way. Using the former on only the best of days, it will last and bring its own kind of joy for a very long time. And how nice would it be to also have the latter, an efficient, stealthy, refined, utilitarian all-star on all other days.

Bvstp

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m kicking around the thought of getting an R maybe MK6 but most likely MK7, but am on the fence about a few things. I have been lusting after an R for a couple years.

I currently own a 2011 GTI and love it. The versatility and practicality of it is awesome. I’m not making a ton of power but the traction is limited even now.The hatch aspect is perfect for what I need for camping, biking, dog, people hauling, active lifestyle etc.

I also own a 1999 Corvette C5 that resides in the garage most of the time. I have moved to Austin and rarely drive the Vette seeing how everything is so close. I work from home so “enjoying” the commute to work is nonexistent. I have had my Vette for 11 years and feel like it’s time to move on.

I am debating selling my Vette and trading in/selling my GTI to have one Golf R.

The question is, will the R fill the performance aspect void that I will have if I sell my Vette? (Different animals, I know) After a few mods, I’m sure the speed and handling will be more than enough. What do you love/hate about your R??

I love my ‘17 Golf R. No creeks or rattles at all. I think you’ll have fun tossing it around winding roads and darting through traffic. It’s surprisingly powerful and rewarding. Mine is stock and will be until the warranty period is up and it still makes me smile every time I drive it. Where I live, the hi-ways are generally congested and the towns have low speed limits with lots of stop lights. But the secondary roads are typically hilly and twisty and I find myself taking those routes more often than the hi-ways because it’s fun to drive on them. I don’t think you’ll regret getting one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gr53716

Can't speak for the 'Vette, but I bought a 2017 GTI SE with a manual transmission a year ago and immediately kicked myself for not buying the R. Loved the GTI, drove it 17000 miles including a spectacular road trip from NY to WY and back. The advice I got before buying the GTI is that the R is great, but not worth the extra 10 grand.

Then a month ago the GTI gets totaled by my parking garage (some sort of freak flooding accident from a burst sprinkler line.) I went out and bought the only 'new' R I could find in the NY/NJ/CT area. It was a dealer demo with 2500 miles on it, white with a manual transmission. And I absolutely love the R. The performance edge shines every day, and I love the improved handling of the R on the few occasions I have had to push it a little bit.

Not sure if this helps your decision, but I am happy the GTI turned into an R--even if it did cost me $15 grand (with the depreciation.) I think its worth every penny.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I had a modded MKV GTI and have had several American Muscle Cars over the years as well.

If you buy the Golf R I'd suggest a Stage 1 tune to start with. If you stay stock you'll be disappointed coming from a Vette.

Stage 2 in these cars is down right insane IMHO!

The car is sleeper!

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I can't complain. In Stage 2 form with a DSG they are beasts with 0-60 under 4 seconds and quarter mile under 12. Incredibly practical, handsome styling and quality interior are all hard to beat.