GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most annoying thing about your GTI

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
#1- hesitation from reverse to drive on DSG. I know it takes a second to go from reverse to drive since 1st and reverse are on the same clutch, and I am ok with that. But it intermittently will act as if it is going to stall out for second maybe 1 out of 3 times when performing this maneuver. My foot is firmly planted on the brake when changing gears and it does it. No rhyme or reason that i have figured out. Anyone else?

#2- i cant believe how much dirt, grime, and dust collects on the hatch and rear bumper. One drive in the rain and the rear is filthy. Rest of the car could wait for a wash, but the back forces my hand everytime.

I don't experience #1 on my DSG GTI.

#2 is inherent to the aerodynamics of the hatchback design. Nothing can be done about it.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I saw two Impreza's this weekend that were on the same dirt road I was on and neither was filthy. I think it was because their hatch is rounded. I was kinda embarrassed at how dirty mine became.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
#2- i cant believe how much dirt, grime, and dust collects on the hatch and rear bumper. One drive in the rain and the rear is filthy. Rest of the car could wait for a wash, but the back forces my hand everytime.

I had the same issue on my old Impreza wagon. I think it's a combination of the air properties behind the hatch and the fact that the rear bumper gets all the water/dirt runoff from the glass and painted surfaces on the back versus something like a sedan.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
#1- hesitation from reverse to drive on DSG. I know it takes a second to go from reverse to drive since 1st and reverse are on the same clutch, and I am ok with that. But it intermittently will act as if it is going to stall out for second maybe 1 out of 3 times when performing this maneuver. My foot is firmly planted on the brake when changing gears and it does it. No rhyme or reason that i have figured out. Anyone else?

Ditto. Seemed to get a little better after performing the dsg adaptation procedure. But it comes back. Usually on the very first start when I back out of the garage. My street is sloped if it matters. So I reverse on the decline, and first gear is an incline.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KlipZ

Ready to race!

I was gonna come post something about this today. Glad i'm not the only one. Its happened only a hand full of times to me, but otherwise the change is quick. Today i was leaving work, backed out, dropped to "D" and the car just sat there for a second or two before it engaged and i could pull away. Weird..

Starshine

Passed Driver's Ed
Every time my shoes are even a little wet, my foot will slip off the clutch because of the (fake?) aluminum pedals. So stupid. Just give me textured rubber. I don't need my pedals to look fancy, I need them to work.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Every time my shoes are even a little wet, my foot will slip off the clutch because of the (fake?) aluminum pedals. So stupid. Just give me textured rubber. I don't need my pedals to look fancy, I need them to work.

Get the standard golf peddle?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I've been contemplating adding grip tape to the pedals. Might want to try that

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Corndart

+1 for rear filth but then again all of my HB's have had this "feature"

My biggest pet peave is the behavior of the center gauges when either no lights or running lights are on. Never had a vehicle that didn't light up the entire instrument panel when at least the running lights are turned on. Is there a VAGCOM or ODBEleven fix for this by chance? I honestly haven't looked.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I haven’t tried it but there is a tweak for this, yes

xmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine does this on occasion, more often in the morning when it's cold. I don't think it's too much of an issue and figure it's a DSG quirk?

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Mine does this on occasion, more often in the morning when it's cold. I don't think it's too much of an issue and figure it's a DSG quirk?

Mine seems to only happen when the car is cold also. Didn't notice once this summer and now its just starting with temps in the 40's. If iirc, i first noticed the issue last winter (as i bought car in July '16)

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Well, how many times to do you go reverse to drive? Usually when first leaving home...

I notice it happens if I am quick to let me foot off the brake. Never happens if I am patient and wait 1 or 2 seconds for 1st to engage.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
+1 for rear filth but then again all of my HB's have had this "feature"

My biggest pet peave is the behavior of the center gauges when either no lights or running lights are on. Never had a vehicle that didn't light up the entire instrument panel when at least the running lights are turned on. Is there a VAGCOM or ODBEleven fix for this by chance? I honestly haven't looked.

It actually makes sense! The reason they have it like that is so that you don't accidentally leave your headlights off. Every car SHOULD be like this. They make it so that when the lowbeams are off/DRLs are on, which would imply that it's daytime, the gauge cluster isn't backlit (because you don't need it to be backlit during the day). When the sun goes down, you're forced to notice your headlights aren't on because you can't see how fast you're going, so you put the headlights on.

I think it makes a lot of sense, and that it should be legally required of all cars. I see other people with their headlights off all the time because A) they've got bright LED DRLs that suffice at night, and B) because their instrument clusters are still backlit, so they don't realize it.