GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uni Stage 2 Initial Impression

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Appreciate all of the comments guys. To clarify I have never flashed to stage 1. I bypassed stage 1. So I'm not sure why I'm not feeling the difference. Maybe I'll just blame the stock clutch and 91 octane fuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I tried st2 on 91 after running st1 for 1.5 years. There's a very noticeable difference.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
ohhhh good point. I was kinda referring to a stage 1 with downpipe as you suspected.. but no tune whatsoever.. and super low boost? ya it should have been huge then. but uni does take a while to adjust up, and keep in mind its one of the milder tunes for sure. i have had 4 VW's with APR and 3 with Unitronic. I think I will give Cobb a try sometime in the future also.

If you had no tune at all as you say then you were stock with a catless DP. Cobb's OTS tunes aren't very good. The real reason to get an AP is to get a protune.

Cesco_93

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S M/T
you could run 87 octane (dont do this) but you would feel a huge huge difference. check the file / report back. clutch will hold the power its not that, over time clutch will slip, but the power would still be there. no worries, trial and error it happens
I called Unitronic and they verified that the file is the correct one for my car. I also flashed back to stock and then back to St2. This is my first car with a tune, so maybe I am just not experienced enough to notice the difference.

My car has been and is definitely still fast af, but I think it's all of the hardware that I installed that deserve most of the credit. I do plan on keeping the Uni tune.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice! Maybe one day Ill get it on a dyno.

Last edited:

Juggar

Ready to race!
I called Unitronic and they verified that the file is the correct one for my car. I also flashed back to stock and then back to St2. This is my first car with a tune, so maybe I am just not experienced enough to notice the difference.

My car has been and is definitely still fast af, but I think it's all of the hardware that I installed that deserve most of the credit. I do plan on keeping the Uni tune.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice! Maybe one day Ill get it on a dyno.

If you want more power JB4 stack it. Thats what I did. Work with George and get it fine tuned such that it adds good power and doesn't pull timing.

Mines stacked up top and runs a little extra boost for more top end. Its almost too much for these backroads here. You go full throttle and then thank god that traction control is a thing sometimes.

Last edited:

Ssleepy

Passed Driver's Ed

My previous car was a stage 2 Gti and the common problem was wheel spin and hop slowing me down. Best thing I ever did was get good winter tires, a dog bone mount to control the slop with inserts. This made a huge difference.
Or you could just get an R :D

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I am still floored that you can't tell it's tuned adding that much power? Should be wildly different.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
I am still floored that you can't tell it's tuned adding that much power? Should be wildly different.
Same here. I flashed back to stock to get a sticker and it was horrible lol....back to stage 2 bliss now!

Cesco_93

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S M/T
My previous car was a stage 2 Gti and the common problem was wheel spin and hop slowing me down. Best thing I ever did was get good winter tires, a dog bone mount to control the slop with inserts. This made a huge difference.

Or you could just get an R :D
Word. Just got new tires last week and I think the dogbone and inserts are next in the chute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk