GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vargas Turbo Build - 2017 GTI SE

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
There’s a recall for the fuel pump, I was having the same problem, took it to the dealer, change the fuel pump for free (already tuned stage 2) and problem solved no
More gas smell.

MadMen

Ready to race!
Are you running an ethanol sensor by chance?

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
So, I got my first update from 5150 this morning. I had told Jon about the gasoline smell in Sport mode and manual shifting on the last one. BTW - I put 1500 miles on my GTI last week. All appears well with the turbo install etc. Got close to 40 mpg both ways.

The new tune seems to have cleared up the gas smell in Sport mode. My guess is that it was running extremely rich before and has been leaned out a little. Also, the performance of the VTT/5150 is truly incredible. I will try to upload a bit of GoPro footage very soon.
I'm going to get one more revision of the pump gas tune and then ask Jon for my E30 tune.

Once I get my LPFP installed and E30 going I'm going to put it on the dyno and publish the results. I'll also plan a track day at the local drag strip to see what it can do in the quarter mile. I'm hoping to get my motor and DSG mounts and VWR springs and shocks installed, in the meantime.

I'm not going to lie, I was regretting this big turbo install for a time and wishing I kept it at MAP Stage 2. However, I think that I'm finally starting to see the fruits of my labor (and large ass expenditures!)

FLOG1

Glad to hear you are enjoying the big turbo, now lets see some video clips of this thing in action! What is your wheels/tires setup to put the power to the ground?

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
What is your wheels/tires setup to put the power to the ground?

UPDATE: Got my VWR Springs and Shocks installed yesterday as well as my BFI Stage 2 engine mount. The car is sitting just a tad bit lower now, but I suppose the springs will settle a bit still. Haven't pushed the car too much, so not sure how they handle yet. BTW - My very first mod was to replace the off-season tires that came on the car stock with a set of Michelin 4S tires. I've run Super Sports on my cars for a while now and swear by them. The 4S is an updated Super Sport that handles better in the wet, which is perfect for Georgia in the summer. With these sticky bad boys on I barely ever spin the front tires!

Won't you have to redo your pump tune if you upgrade the lpfp after it's done?

I built my Precision Raceworks Fuel Pump today! I found a deal on a stock pump and just modified it with the PR kit that contains a Walbro 450. I will swap out the pumps when I get a new version of my 5150 93 tune that supports the new one. Jon at 5150 said no big deal for hm to add support to this. Once all is well with that then I will get my e30 tune from Jon and try running some e30. Getting close... Will video me logging the 93 tune with the new pump.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Did you already do HPFP? Far more important than LPFP on stock injectors.

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
Got my tune that supports with Walbro 450 from Jon at 5150 last night, so I installed the fuel pump and loaded the tune. So far, no issues. I bought the kit from Precision Raceworks and had support from this thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44651&highlight=LPFP

I'm going to log the new 93 pump tune soon and will post some video of the runs. I'll ask Jon for my E30 version when I send him the logs.

The VWR springs and shocks are really sweet! They are much more comfortable AND better performing than stock ones, for sure. Did a balls to the wall run yesterday and they performed like a champ. The also eliminated the "chatter" my old ones produced on the highway that made the stocks ones almost unbearable on my recent long road trips. Finally, they've settled down and are plenty low now. I highly recommend this kit that goes on sale every now and again at USP Motorsports: https://www.uspmotorsports.com/VWR-Sport-Spring-and-Damper-Kit-For-MQB-Platform-FWD-MK7-GTI.html

I haven't done any hard launches yet since installing the BFI Stage 2 engine mount. However, I can tell you that the vibration at idle it has introduced is substantial. I don't mind it so far as it just makes the car feel like it's got a little something something under the hood. Kind of reminds me of my 500HP n/a 2013 Boss 302 Mustang at idle where the rear view mirror adornments would visibly shake and sway back and forth at the light.

CrossFit67

Ready to race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk