GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogbone mounts on the Golf R - are they necessary?

Cole Trickle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi S4
I had a Vibra Technics full dogbone mount replacement on my Mk6 GTI and I loved it, so I’m considering a dogbone mount upgrade for my Golf R.

My question is whether my Rolf will benefit from a dogbone mount upgrade like my GTI did.

Does the engine pitch back and forth on a Rolf like it does on a GTI?

Is the engine anchored by the driveshaft, Haldex, etc. so as to make a dogbone mount replacement unnecessary?

If you’ve used a dogbone mount insert or replacement on a GTI and a Golf R, I’d like to hear your thoughts.

Uffda

Passed Driver's Ed
I am putting one on my Golf R soon. "as soon as I can get my EFR7163 waste gate redone". What I can tell is if you track the car it does help. If you drive casual perhaps not. You can can feel more of the shifts as well as some vibration in the steering wheel at start up. NOTE: Mine is not in yet. This is from watching videos on the replacement and the reviews.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Yes it will. I had a GTI with 034 dogbone insert which improved somewhat, also got a Golf-R with 034 dogbone insert which helped some what as well.

I installed a pendulum mount by ECS with its dogbone insert and it is a night/day improvement over just doing the dogbone. I'm at a point I could accept it as it stands now... however I may still do the engine and tranny mounts down the road.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
It's engine torque that causes that rocking, so the R should be worse than a GTI technically. The AWD system doesn't anchor the engine like you're thinking.

I have had both the lower 034 insert which reduced some movement, but recently went to the Powerflex Hybrid insert which replaces the lower puck and has "fingers" to extend to the upper puck as well. Some added vibration but that along with 034 HD motor mounts I've reduced engine movement significantly but it's still a very daily driveable setup, which I do. Very honestly feel like most dogbone upgrades that fill in the majority of the gaps for the OEM pucks add vibration, and then motor mounts will actually reduce that overall.

Finding a good combo of the two, or not going too far on just the dogbone is the balancing act.

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
I just did the pendulum (Aliexpress,) 034 Motorsport upper, and lower dogbone, what a difference! Very happy with the new feeling. A lot more solid and direct.

Serzyfritz

Passed Driver's Ed
I just did the pendulum (Aliexpress,) 034 Motorsport upper, and lower dogbone, what a difference! Very happy with the new feeling. A lot more solid and direct.

Got more info on the Aliexpress pendulum? Just looked it up and looks quality and its only like $50 shipped as opposed to 250+ from other vendors.

Does it have a spherical bearing in it or poly/rubber?

civicdrivr

Ready to race!
It makes a huge difference. I'm running the Powerflex Hybrid insert (it replaces the bottom puck and inserts into the top) along with the RocEuro stabilizer bar. NVH increase is very minor.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
It makes a huge difference. I'm running the Powerflex Hybrid insert (it replaces the bottom puck and inserts into the top) along with the RocEuro stabilizer bar. NVH increase is very minor.

This looks really compelling, how did you get the lower puck out? I'm assuming you didn't drop the subframe?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
This looks really compelling, how did you get the lower puck out? I'm assuming you didn't drop the subframe?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
You cut out the lower one and pry it out. Took about 15 mins without quite the right tools, saw and a big screw driver.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Got more info on the Aliexpress pendulum? Just looked it up and looks quality and its only like $50 shipped as opposed to 250+ from other vendors.

Does it have a spherical bearing in it or poly/rubber?

Man, its a really solid piece, great manufacturing and spherical bearings. Solid value IMO. Would buy without hesitation again. It comes with bolts, but if you plan installing it, get new ones because the grade numbers were one step below stock. I just reused the 2 smaller ones and had a new one for the dogbone already. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pen...295.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.36724c4deUrdVx

Last edited: