GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery/APR Tune/Warranty

aadouglass.13

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had my MK7 GTI with APR stage 1 tune for less than three years with about 31k miles. It's still in warranty.

My battery has died. It feels premature to any other vehicle I've had. If I take it in for a new battery under warranty would they look for ecu/tcu tunes? Would they check any systems normally that would bring this up?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've had my MK7 GTI with APR stage 1 tune for less than three years with about 31k miles. It's still in warranty.

My battery has died. It feels premature to any other vehicle I've had. If I take it in for a new battery under warranty would they look for ecu/tcu tunes? Would they check any systems normally that would bring this up?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

If they connect to your ECU then yes. But I don't know why they would connect to the ECU for a battery warranty. Your tune wouldn't void the battery warranty if it's really under warranty. My dealer just replaced the driver's door widow switch and I'm running all bolt ons and an IS38 with no cat and they covered it.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
Mine's a 2015 and had to replace the battery last year with ~35k on the odometer. Three years is normal with the cars I've owned and had been running a JB4 up until last Fall. Extreme hot or cold weather doesn't help. I'd just swap it out at home since I don't have the time or patience with the dealer.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Mine's a 2015 and had to replace the battery last year with ~35k on the odometer. Three years is normal with the cars I've owned and had been running a JB4 up until last Fall. Extreme hot or cold weather doesn't help. I'd just swap it out at home since I don't have the time or patience with the dealer.

If he's under warranty why would he swap it out at home? The dealer isn't going to hand him a battery and say there you go.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Unlikely they will replace (wear item) and if they do it will be with the same undersized battery for the load. The warranty on their replacement battery is 2 years: https://www.vwserviceandparts.com/car-care/volkswagen-warranty/battery-warranty-coverage/

Use the opportunity to purchase a larger capacity battery and be done with it. See Golfdave's excellent write up.

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf;-
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

Costco's Interstate Size 29 is what I used.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Use the opportunity to purchase a larger capacity battery and be done with it. Unlikely they will replace and if they do it will be with the same undersized battery for the load. See Golfdave's excellent write up.

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf;-
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

Costco's Interstate Size 29 is what I used.

If the OP can get a free battery replacement under warranty why would he spend his money getting a bigger battery when a bigger battery won't necessarily last any longer?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
If the OP can get a free battery replacement under warranty why would he spend his money getting a bigger battery when a bigger battery won't necessarily last any longer?

Battery is wear and tear, 3 years is a normal range for a battery life.
The dealer won’t replace it under warranty.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Because battery is not warranted past 3 years and he will likely lose his engine warranty as he is tuned.

https://www.licvw.com/what-is-the-volkswagen-warranty/

Battery, halogen/xenon bulbs, and paint (3 years or 36,000 miles)

He said that it was still under warranty. If he is wrong about the battery warranty then I wouldn't get a stock replacement either. The tune is irrelevant concerning the battery.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Battery is wear and tear, 3 years is a normal range for a battery life.
The dealer won’t replace it under warranty.

I was just going off of what the OP said. He said that it was still under warranty. If he's wrong he's wrong.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
If he's under warranty why would he swap it out at home? The dealer isn't going to hand him a battery and say there you go.

Maybe I should have been more clear and I was certainly not implying that the dealer would hand over a battery. So here we go; if I were him, I would buy the battery myself. It's important compared to the other mods discussed on this forum. My wasted time at the dealership far exceeds the cost of a battery.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Go to Autozone, hand them $150ish dollars, battery problem solved.

This isn’t rocket science.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Best investment so far. Tax and all out the door was around 210.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The dealer would plug the car into ODIS to register the battery replacement and that would flag the car for a tune. If you are going to switch from lead acid to AGM, you would want to change the charging profile in the ecu just like how you register the battery when you change it. This ensures the battery won't be under or over charged.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Heat is a big killer of batteries. Since the OP is from the Houston area.... it's expected.

Go to Autozone and get another flooded lead acid battery such as the Duralast Gold. Has 3 years free replacement warranty with another 2 years pro-rated.

The problem with aftermarket AGM batteries is they do not contain the information needed to register the battery with the car, so to get the proper BEM info, you need to buy the battery from VW.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Battery_Replacement

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Heat is a big killer of batteries. Since the OP is from the Houston area.... it's expected.

Go to Autozone and get another flooded lead acid battery such as the Duralast Gold. Has 3 years free replacement warranty with another 2 years pro-rated.

The problem with aftermarket AGM batteries is they do not contain the information needed to register the battery with the car, so to get the proper BEM info, you need to buy the battery from VW.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Battery_Replacement

You don't actually need the code, 0123456789 works fine. The code is just to let the car know it had a new battery installed. There is a section where you chance the type of battery installed from lead acid, to AGM, to Lithium and all sorts of other types of batteries.