GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vargas Turbo Build - 2017 GTI SE

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
The engine having cooled overnight, I did my contortion of loosening the jam nut and giving the actuator rod a turn with my needle nose. The voltage jumped from 3.74 to 3.86. For grins I went ahead and ran the BASIC TEST and it passed. Says the First Adaption of Charge Pressure Actuator test under BASIC Settings is "Not Available". Note there is no test this name under Adaption. However, there are no codes, etc. I tighten the jam nut, close the hood and take it for a test run. No EPC code. Just lots of pull from the new turbo and a gazillion DSG farts from the new 5150 tune.

I'm going to take it on a longer test run this morning and see if it sticks...

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Oh man, I hope everything is ok now, I'm following your progress with great expectation :D

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
Just did a longer test and even logged a few pulls for Jon over at 5150. Here are my first impressions:

There is definitely more noticeable lag down low. Holding gears in manual mode definitely helps. Investing in a better DSG tune is going to be a high priority. I’m current running the Cobb IS38 OTS.

Not much wheel spin, which is surprising. The Michelin Super Sports and the 100 degree pavement today helping out, I’m sure.

There was a much more noticeable performance gain going from stock to MAPerformance Stage 2, which was their downpipe and tune. I have to say that that was a serious bang for the buck upgrade! Since, I’ve spent $3K+ on a turbo, intercooler, and catchcan with an additional $2K in labor. I will hold final judgment on the worth of these upgrades when I’ve had a bit more time and have my final tune. For now, I’m just happy my car seems to be running!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
Please confirm I am seeing this wrong.

Looking closely it looks as if the casting of the exhaust housing is angled not the arm for the wastegate. And I wouldn't be too concerned about the gap on the c-clip as long as it's fully installed and the yoke isn't pinched enough to bind; worse case it'll rattle a little. However he is missing a bracket.

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
More drama... Just lost all of my coolant. Looks like they let a coolant line rub up against the alternator belt after the intercooler install.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Wow. I just got an email from ECS about exclusive vtt turbo rights and was thinking the only vtt car in the wild is going through a cluster fuck lol. After all the lovely threads we had on the forums by them and now this... Hope you get it sorted. I'm very interested in this but it's not looking good.

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
This latest has nothing to do with the turbo. It’s the intercooler install that is the issue. I’m going to take it back to the mechanic in the morning (slowly) and see what they say. Hopefully, they just fix it and don’t blame the BMS intercooler itself for causing the problem etc. Will update.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Yeah I understand it's not related but seems things keep cropping up. I just find it ironic with all the Vargas mumbo jumbo. Maybe it's cursed. But that's a side joke. Reality is, it has been bad luck so far. I'm rooting for you and the turbo tho.

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
Yeah I understand it's not related but seems things keep cropping up. I just find it ironic with all the Vargas mumbo jumbo. Maybe it's cursed. But that's a side joke. Reality is, it has been bad luck so far. I'm rooting for you and the turbo tho.

I understand. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
Did they undo the dogbone or something?

Looks like part of the radiator, a sensor perhaps, was able to reach the alternator belt after the install. The belt spent the day wearing it down until it finally broke through amd started spewing. Better to have discovered it now, I guess. I’m hoping to take some road trips here soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk