GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Potential Paint Issue Important to ALL MK7/7.5 OWNERS

Zillerr

Hello all,

I have not seen too many posts on this issue (if any at all) and frankly I am not sure if any of you will have this issue. Based on the fact that I have had both a 2017 north American golf R and now a 2018 North American Golf R and both of these cars have had this issue I felt based on my personal statistics it would be a great idea to inform everybody. In a previous post several months ago I posted about my MK7. The paint was worn all the way through the leading edge of the drivers door. Basically the seal that is pressed into the fender just forward of the drivers door leading edge comes un-seated very easily. This causes it to rub on the leading edge of the door every time you open and close it. Add a little bit of regular road grime and you have sandpaper in action. My MK7 only had 4000 miles on it and it was worn all the way through to the metal on the edge about 2 to 3 inches long. After a lot of research and long discussions with the dealer it was fixed under warranty via a specific procedure I requested. It turned out great, but alas it was still now touched up :(.

I encourage you all to check the seal as with my brand new 2018… It was also rubbing. Typically once the car is clean and the door is opened all the way you can use your fingers and pull the seal towards the front of the car getting it to re-clip and seat properly. My passenger side was also on the verge.

Do with this what you may! If it helps even a few of you prevent the issue I can live/drive happy ;).

I am sorry but I did not get a photo of the 18 before I fixed it... but you can see the rubber seal is scuffed from the door edge. Photo 1 and 2 shows the seal properly seated. The seal should not be easily seen from the outside looking straight at the seam. When seated properly it is recessed.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thank you for the heads-up. My 2017 GTI with 7750 miles has this issue on the driver's door, but not as bad as yours- only about 1/2" so far of the paint removed. The middle part of the seal is clearly visible in the gap when the door is closed.
Can you provide some specifics on the method you specified to fix the paint? I'd like to have that in-hand when I go to the dealer this week. Is there a permanent fix to keep the seal properly fixed in place?

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I’m confused. Where should the liner be? This is what my 2016 GTI looks like where the leading edge of the front door meets the fender. Same on each side. The black stuff is some sort of foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Joesid, is your first photo of the underlying metal of the fender and the second of the liner? Kinda hard to tell for sure.
On my car, with the front doors closed, on the passenger side, the plastic seal/liner is not visible in the gap between the front fender and front edge of the door- it is set back (towards the front of the car) from the trailing edge of the fender. On the driver side, approximately 1' of the middle section of the edge of the seal is clearly visible in the gap. This is where the paint wear is occurring on the door edge.

Last edited:

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Joesid, is your first photo of the underlying metal of the fender and the second of the liner? Kinda hard to tell for sure.
On my car, with the front doors closed, on the passenger side, the plastic seal/liner is not visible in the gap between the front fender and front edge of the door- it is set back (towards the front of the car) from the trailing edge of the fender. On the driver side, approximately 1' of the middle section of the edge of the seal is clearly visible in the gap. This is where the paint wear is occurring on the door edge.

No, the second pic is just a different angle. The black material in both photos is the foam/sponge stuff that’s inside the actual fender. I don’t think I have the liner on either side? No, I haven’t had any bodywork...I checked the parts diagram and can’t find the liner for any of the mk7’s.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Would you guys please mark up the picture? I am not sure where you are all talking about.
Thanks.

zillerr's first photo shows the plastic liner that fills the gap between the rear edge of the fender and the frame below the A-pillar running vertically down to the sill. His door is open about half-way. The liner is pressed into place. From joesid's photos of his 2016 GTI, it appears he does not have the liner. Was the liner added in 2017? My 2017 GSW has it, it looks just like the one in zillerr's photo. In his photo, the liner has moved rearward, and has caused rubbing on the front (leading) edge of the door whenever the door is opened and the front edge hinges into the inner fender space.

Zillerr's second photo shows the gap between the fender and the front door. You only see air because it's the "after" photo. If there were a "before" shot you'd have seen the plastic liner intruding into the gap space.

My guess is that the liner does nothing but hide the fender mounts and gives a cleaner appearance when the door is opened.

I will check mine in the morning and make sure they are in place and not coming into contact with the door edge.

elterrible

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the heads up OP.

I checked my 2017 sport (US) model. I have the liner and it is not loose and no paint damage. I have about 10k miles now. I will keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt come loose.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
southpawboston- Thanks for the explanation! My R has the cover and there is plenty of clearance with the door when opened, no scuffing. My GTI does not have that cover so no issue there..

Maybe installation error on OP’s car??

Zillerr

Thank you for the heads-up. My 2017 GTI with 7750 miles has this issue on the driver's door, but not as bad as yours- only about 1/2" so far of the paint removed. The middle part of the seal is clearly visible in the gap when the door is closed.
Can you provide some specifics on the method you specified to fix the paint? I'd like to have that in-hand when I go to the dealer this week. Is there a permanent fix to keep the seal properly fixed in place?

Glad to hear!!! So.... in my case the dealer said they would have to “remove door, respray, and blend the door and fender”. I said ... no thanks. After lengthy discussions with the VW body shop manager (Keith) we decided that on this process:

-remove driver door (very easy as hinges are split hinges. There is a male torx on each hinge covered by a black plastic cap...once those are removed and the wiring plug is unseated the door lifts right out without any pain damage....provided the shop is careful not to hit it on anything).

-clean/prep worn door edge.

-tape as needed to assure no overspray contaminates the exterior door panel

-use small sprayer to paint door edge OR fine brush

Mine was fixed at the Hall VW body shop shop may be worth having your dealer call them and ask the body shop manager to assure they are well informed on the process. Mine had turned out perfect...and I am very very picky (anal).

Zillerr

I’m confused. Where should the liner be? This is what my 2016 GTI looks like where the leading edge of the front door meets the fender. Same on each side. The black stuff is some sort of foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting...... I assumed the GTI’s had them... there is no liner in yours for sure....probably better!

Zillerr

southpawboston- Thanks for the explanation! My R has the cover and there is plenty of clearance with the door when opened, no scuffing. My GTI does not have that cover so no issue there..

Maybe installation error on OP’s car??

Certainly possible. But this has been the case on two separate Golf R’s I have now owned. Not good odds :(. Install error...shipping shifting. Who knows.