GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8tsi issue- too much power, too less torque. Stock engine.

AK89

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi! It's my first post- so... Hello! [well... exactly second- first was almost the same as this]

I've been directed here by google phrase "bad turbo gti"- but my issue doesn't fit into this topic directly- but somehow it's connected.
Car: Seat Leon 5F, eurospec, CJSA engine. MY2013
Turbocharger- 06K145701S [they have quit mounting it on november 2014]
Mileage- 40kkm, still going
Symptoms- rattling noise under light/moderate acceleration (like a midget under a bonnet, furiously rustling with a plastic trash bag)- I've checked an wastegate arm- well, there's some loose. Under full throttle- it doesn't sound so bad, as long ambient temperature is below 27*C [80*F]- when temperature rises above 32*C[~90*F]- noise is quite disturbing. Last summer I was driving in 37*C [~100*F]- and it was howling like an dying animal.
Oil consumption- it ate some of it, especially last 2000km (about 100ml)

Other symptoms? Without power-box connected, on dyno chart- torque was below factory numbers (where it should generate ~250NM+, there was roughly 215NM, and it started to rise above 4krpm, to peak with 275NM @ 5900rpm), power also was where it shouldn't- factory declared power was 180HP, on dyno it blowed 237 @ 6krpm.

Mods? At 28kkm i've mounted power-box, took it off at 31kkm. Rest of distance was stock, because i've wanted to make stage 1 [which was made, but the gains were symbolical- 306NM, 247HP- so i've come back to stock, and finally didn't made any changes]

And... On autoscan- no fault codes. DashCommand displays 0.6bar boost. Trims are good, MAF/MAP doesn't give strange readings. MPG is normal. AFR- 14,7 almost constantly. MPG is correct (maybe bit above what was when i've buyed it).

What's next? I didn't know. Warranty has ended, car runs well (besides the numbers, and some kind of turbo-lag). And i'm still wondering- what the hell is causing that. And how long will it go.

Edit: I remember something- while using box, i was once rushing to work, and after that i've experienced dv-clicking noise after ignition off. Thing stopped to happen immidiately after disconnecting power-box. So... Maybe not turbocharger crapped out, but dv given up?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Wastegate won't open because there's no unused boost when you are at full throttle, so the actuator rattles worst on part throttle or full throttle in low gears.
Not sure what to make of your performance numbers, other than wheelspin on the dyno .. ?

AK89

Passed Driver's Ed
The performance numbers weren't affected by wheelspin on a dyne. Test was repeated multiple times and the results were the same. In attachment i've pasted mine results, and the other from the same type engine.
Thin lines are stock results, on both charts.

So- first at all- don't care about the rattling noise, because it's wastegate arm which rattles?

Attachments

• kosmos.jpg
    kosmos.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 847
  • stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 932

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The performance numbers weren't affected by wheelspin on a dyne. Test was repeated multiple times and the results were the same. In attachment i've pasted mine results, and the other from the same type engine.
Thin lines are stock results, on both charts.

So- first at all- don't care about the rattling noise, because it's wastegate arm which rattles?

Almost certainly wastegate yes.

No clue on the performance numbers. Presumably the guy who sold it to you had changed something and forgot to mention it ... :)

AK89

Passed Driver's Ed
I've bought it brand new from dealership with 5km of mileage. With foils on the body. So it was clearly stock, and any mods were installed with my hands (power box- removed before dyno).
So... Ride until it fail, and think about it later?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Hehe, not an unpleasant surprise.. :)

The differential is quite large, so either they actually gave you a different model than the one you thought you were getting or this one has a fault in turbo output regulation.

You have a warranty .. so drive it until something breaks .. Cannot imagine what a dealer will do if you take a car back to the dealer and declare it's "too powerful, make it slower"..