GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Golf R - First Oil Change completed

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I just got back from the local DIY Garage where I rented a two post lift. Everything went as expected; however, I believe I overfilled the oil.

I had the vehicle lifted and removed the plastic oil drain plug and waited for the oil to trickle out before replacing with a new plastic oil drain plug. The vehicle was then lowered back down and I removed the oil filter housing, replaced oil filter, reinstalled oil filter housing torque'd to spec. Then I removed the oil filler cap and began to fill with new oil. After 5 quarts of oil, I started the engine and let it run for two min before turning it off. I then allowed the engine to rest on a level surface for a minute or two. At this point I checked the oil dipstick and it indicated that the oil level was in the lower safe zone area. As a result, I began to add a little more oil from my 6th container, approximately .375 quarts were added before rechecking the level. I waited a minute or two before checking and the oil dip stick was indicating just above the oil safe zone.

I'm concerned because 5.375 quarts of oil should not have brought my level above the safe zone on the dipstick. The owner's manual says oil capacity of 6 quarts with oil filter.

I assume I made the following mistake in ensuring that all old oil was drained when I removed the plastic oil drain plug:
Before removing the plastic oil drain plug should I have cracked open the oil filler cap or the oil filter container on the top of the engine? Would this allow better air flow through the engine allowing more oil to drain out?

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
Did my MK7 and added 6 Quarts of Mobil 1. Not sure how much the filter housing holds, looks like like about 1/2 liter.
Oil is now right at the full line on the dip stick.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Did my MK7 and added 6 Quarts of Mobil 1. Not sure how much the filter housing holds, looks like like about 1/2 liter.
Oil is now right at the full line on the dip stick.
Prior to draining the oil did you crack open the oil filter housing, oil filler cap, both or none of the above?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
This is how I do it on my R or any other car.

Empty the hot oil from the sump via drain plug and then loosen the filter / filter house since the dirty contaminated oil from the filter will drain down to the oil sump. Then AFTER no oil is dripping from the drain hole fit the drain plug and a new filter. Fill the engine with oil.

In your case you can expect some of the old oil still is inside the engine. No "big deal" but that's how it is... You just have 1760 on the odometer. No problems :)

/Peter

PGT

Ready to race!
what's the recommended interval for oil changes? I'm used to BMW and Mercedes that go 10k miles and tell you when service is due.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Empty the hot oil from the sump via drain plug and then loosen the filter / filter house since the dirty contaminated oil from the filter will drain down to the oil sump. Then AFTER no oil is dripping from the drain hole fit the drain plug and a new filter. Fill the engine with oil.

In your case you can expect some of the old oil still is inside the engine. No "big deal" but that's how it is... You just have 1760 on the odometer. No problems :)

/Peter
Thanks Peter!

Just concerned that I may have over filled the oil; however, if I had I probably would have received a check engine light for a damaged Catalytic converter or engine damage by now.

Sailor737

Ready to race!

I feel like 10k is for the grandma who babies her car, never sees the speed limit and is definitely not tuned or getting her car into any high rpm. I'm planning on every 5k just for that price of mind. Go ahead and flame me but I drive my car hard and I like to know that it doesn't have any issues.