GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BG MOA oil additive offered by vw dealer

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Hi All,
wanted to know what were your thoughts on this.
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-moa/

My dealer offered it to me and after reading quickly online I agreed to have it put in. I've been on it since first oil change and then roughly every 7k miles after that. I am on stage II if that matter since the car was new pretty much :p

Apparently they offer their own engine warranty, and I was wondering what would happen if VW declined a claim would they honor their warranty?

food for thought... :)

adam1991

Banned
Snake oil.

How much did they charge you for that?

VW dealer advises and sells non-VW powertrain components as part of regular service. VW denies powertrain warranty claim. VW dealer tells you to pound sand.

Film at 11.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Hi All,

My dealer offered it to me and after reading quickly online I agreed to have it put in. I've been on it since first oil change and then roughly every 7k miles after that. I am on stage II if that matter since the car was new pretty much :p

Apparently they offer their own engine warranty, and I was wondering what would happen if VW declined a claim would they honor their warranty?

It's snake oil sold by dealerships to pad profits.

VW says NOT to use any engine additives not sold by them directly.

You're recommended to drain the oil, and pray that it doesn't gum up your engine. Your powertrain warranty is gone most likely.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I wouldn't go to the extreme and say the warranty is gone as it probably hasn't been in there long enough to cause any damage.

Additionally, he is stage 2 tuned with a stage 3 clutch, his warranty has been long gone.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Complete snake oil. A lot of dealers have started to use BG or similar products to pad their service profits as the amount of regular maintenance most cars require has steadily declined.

But, just how snake oil is this product? Back when I worked at a Honda dealership, the BG rep that came in to give the presentation (when we started selling it) was actually wearing a bolo tie. Honest to god.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Snake oil.

How much did they charge you for that?

VW dealer advises and sells non-VW powertrain components as part of regular service. VW denies powertrain warranty claim. VW dealer tells you to pound sand.

Film at 11.

lol, I think $15
I do think the BG product is good. Anyway I have 30k miles now, and I do plan to keep on using it. Especially for tune cars I think it offers better protection.
Why are you against it?

adam1991

Banned
VW didn't design the car around it.

With tires, that's no big deal. But oil is the lifeblood of the engine. They carefully crafted it. You're messing with it.

With tires, that's no big deal. We're talking about oil.

$15? Next time, think of that line from Vegas Vacation: "You don't know when to quit, do ya Griswold? Here's an idea: Why don't you give me half the money you were gonna bet? Then, we'll go out back, I'll kick you in the nuts, and we'll call it a day!" Give him ten bucks, you're better off by five bucks, and everyone's happy.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Never trust the dealership to have your best interests in mind.

This seems pretty suspicious, not like a full on scam, but definitely up selling a regular oil change to get extra loot. And since you have to keep using it to claim any kind of coverage, they get to ring that cash register every time you stop in for a change.

They probably got sold this stuff somehow and now they gots to sell it to you.

SRoads

Ready to race!
BG MOA and Liqui Moly Ceratec/MOS2 are the only additives that actually do something....all be a very little reduction in wear (2-3 PPM average to 5 PPM change in Fe) over a 7500mi oil change interval from my payed for oil analysis.

Those 2-3 wont hurt...but the don't really help much either.

BG MOA is most Calcium in the neighborhood for 1200PPM and Ceratec/MOS2 are mostly Molybdenum in the 600/200 PPM respectively.

If you use really crappy oil, then yes they would do more...but just pay for a quality oil in the first place, you'll be fine.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
VW didn't design the car around it.

With tires, that's no big deal. But oil is the lifeblood of the engine. They carefully crafted it. You're messing with it.

With tires, that's no big deal. We're talking about oil.

$15? Next time, think of that line from Vegas Vacation: "You don't know when to quit, do ya Griswold? Here's an idea: Why don't you give me half the money you were gonna bet? Then, we'll go out back, I'll kick you in the nuts, and we'll call it a day!" Give him ten bucks, you're better off by five bucks, and everyone's happy.

adam i am shocked you are still around when are they going to ban you.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
It's not gonna harm your car, it won't get your warranty denied. You can buy it for cheaper from indie shops normally. Everyone one has their own opinions and there is nothing wrong with that. The important thing is you understand they are just opinions, but sounds like you get that already.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
No additives needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 421

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Hi All,

BG makes some quality products (mostly the BK44 fuel treatment), but fairly sure this is NOT necessary for you to use. Not one bit. Think of all the millions of cars out there that have been maintained well and go for several hundred thousand miles and NEVER use a product like this. But, if you are into it - go for it. I'd rather use some Marvel Mystery oil though...

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Marvell Mystery oil not only has a cool name it smells nice.

OP, no harm done if it makes you sleep better spend the $15. Doubtful it does anything that is quantifiable