GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aluminum Filter Housing

wlfpck

Ready to race!
There are aftermarket filter housing that replaces the existing factory oil filter housing and DSG filter housing with aluminum, finned filter housings.

Anyone have any feedback on these finned, replacement housing?

The various ones available claim it helps dissipate heat better. Anyone have actual data to support/validate this? Looking at the construction... it makes sense that it would help... but with how small it is, I'm not quite sure how much it would help.

Just trying to figure out if this is a worthwhile upgrade for something more than just aesthetics.

adam1991

Banned
"gee, Mr. Wlfpck, we'd love to help you--but your aftermarket oil filter housing was cause and effect for A, B, and C, and therefore we cannot cover your powertrain failure under the new car factory warranty."

Call me paranoid. Me, I don't show off my car at shows--so I don't care what it looks like under the hood.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
If heat is your concern there are some dedicated aftermarket oil coolers worth looking into. Then again, you're probably better off investing the money into an upgraded intercooler, since unless your tracking the car oil temps really shouldn't be much of an issue.

As others have said, it's really just for the looks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wlfpck

Ready to race!
That's what I figured... It was kind of bothering me that something that small and with no forced convection would provide significant cooling... but... figured I'd ask to make sure I wasn't crazy.

As for the DSG cooler, issue is that cooling options are pretty expensive. I wrote up that DSG upgrade post before and pretty much a low pressure side cooler would need a pump and requires tapping the transmission fluid pan.

High pressure side really only has 1 manufacturer that has something available to replace the stock cooler... but that's expensive. In the off chance that someone was going to come back and say that the aluminum DSG housing provided a 5 degree drop in the middle of summer in Arizona... I was going to consider it when I hit 40K. But again... with the location and no forced convection... I was a bit skeptical on the cooling effects.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I'm surprised no one mentioned the factory plastic housings warp and crack all the time... at least once you start getting up there in mileage.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
To me, unless you have a fan blowing fresh air directly onto this - it's pointless. I don't know where the DSG one is, but the engine filter housing - I picture a metal one just absorbing all the heat from the engine bay rather than performing any cooling benefit.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I'm surprised no one mentioned the factory plastic housings warp and crack all the time... at least once you start getting up there in mileage.
+1...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
my experience...DO NOT DO IT...I tried to installed the CTS turbo billet oil housing twice...both times caused the arm in the housing to snap in half and caused a huge oil pressure issue and what not. I wouldn't do it again or even recommend it to anyone. Headache more than anything

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
All the time?

I've replaced quite a few. Normally after they have been recently serviced, as the toque spec is even enough to crack the housing if it is brittle enough. Talking small cracks you can't see that well, that end up leaking due to the pressure running through it.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Been running the CTS B-Cool filter housing for over 10k zero problems. I highly doubt it does much for cooling but it is more robust than the plastic OEM housing. Looks pretty slick too.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
I have the USP housing and forget I have it. Been to the dealer for service and was not even a "thing."

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
For whatever it's worth none of my mods have ever impacted warranty work I've had done at the dealer. Had a bad headlight and battery replaced, dealer never even mentioned the mods.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk