GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will I regret getting 8 vs 8.5?

JD-1

Ready to race!
I'm looking to buy wheels and while its not a lot more money I don't know how badly I need 8.5. 8.5 is obviously more flush but other than that am I going to notice more traction? My car is APR Plus tuned, and I hardly break loose, I can do it but rarely. On launch there is some wheel hop but I'm also terrible at launching and don't think I'd care much either way.

Are there any other side effects like reduced mpg?

For note I already ordered 235/40/18 indy 500 tires since they had a stellar sale on amazon.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
8 inch are lighter so they would have slightly better MPG, I wouldn't fret that 0.5".

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I'm looking to buy wheels and while its not a lot more money I don't know how badly I need 8.5. 8.5 is obviously more flush but other than that am I going to notice more traction? My car is APR Plus tuned, and I hardly break loose, I can do it but rarely. On launch there is some wheel hop but I'm also terrible at launching and don't think I'd care much either way.

For note I already ordered 235/40/18 indy 500 tires since they had a stellar sale on amazon.

Traction has nothing to do with wheel or tire width. It's all compound. If you already have the tire you want, the width won't make a difference. 235 on an 8.5" wheel will have a lot more stretch than an 8" wheel and the tire won't protect your wheel as much.

FYI, I run a 245/40/17 on 8" wheel...

Photo credit goes to David Gillen at a recent track event.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

Indy 500s run narrow, they will look great on 8". Here is Indy 235/40 on 8.5.

Attachments

• IMG_7376.JPG
    IMG_7376.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 365