GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash Cam Hardwire tips – MK7 2017 GTI

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Just so i'm understanding correctly.. Re the A Pillar if pop the top off i get to it without removing it? Do i just pull it on the top? I don't want to remove the whole thing.

When you say it gives you access to the headliner, if i wants to run a cable for my rear facing dash cam, could i fish the wire in the headliner from the top of the A-Pillar to the back of the car? That would make my install 100x easier and quicker.

Appreciate all the information posted here.

Edit: Found a good post for removing the A Pillar that doesn't have its images removed. https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-a-pillar-trim-removal/

Still wondering if it a straight shot from the top of the a pillar to the rear of the car via the headliner?

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Its a shame most cameras dont have the 12 to 5 volt reduction inside the camera . I hate having the bulky 12 volt plug kit inside the dash. I would have loved to just splice the positive wire directly into the add-a-fuse and my elec-chicken skills aren't nearly good enough to make my own smaller voltage reducer to fit inline with the wire.

I didn't take the time to research this, but are there any switching 5 Volt sources on the fuse panel?

No but in leu of what I did with the 12V cig plug, you can get one of these kits instead. Wish I had known about them at the time but I'm not going to re-do the whole thing now.

https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Hard...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=dash+cam+hardwire&psc=1

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Just so i'm understanding correctly.. Re the A Pillar if pop the top off i get to it without removing it? Do i just pull it on the top? I don't want to remove the whole thing.

When you say it gives you access to the headliner, if i wants to run a cable for my rear facing dash cam, could i fish the wire in the headliner from the top of the A-Pillar to the back of the car? That would make my install 100x easier and quicker.

Appreciate all the information posted here.

Edit: Found a good post for removing the A Pillar that doesn't have its images removed. https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-a-pillar-trim-removal/

Still wondering if it a straight shot from the top of the a pillar to the rear of the car via the headliner?

Just pull the top of the a-pillar with some force, it will pop out to a certain distance.

I haven't run anything to the back of the car so I can't say.

In terms of images being removed, the images in the DIY I linked in the big red sentence at the beginning of the OP for the A pillar are fine... http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=480175

Bakili

Ready to race!
Hi
I got snooper dvr 5 hd cam and installed it seems to be fine. Only noticed everytime stop starts kicks in, camera enters into parking mode. I am not sure which fuse slot i used (dont remember now), but i know i did test it with multimeter and i had power on with ignition on. I know it was empty slot without any fuse. Which fuse slot would you advise to use for camera with parking mode.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Hi
I got snooper dvr 5 hd cam and installed it seems to be fine. Only noticed everytime stop starts kicks in, camera enters into parking mode. I am not sure which fuse slot i used (dont remember now), but i know i did test it with multimeter and i had power on with ignition on. I know it was empty slot without any fuse. Which fuse slot would you advise to use for camera with parking mode.
Thanks

I’m not familiar with stop start on the MK7 and how the power within the car is affected. I would suggest you get the car into stopped mode and test with the multimeter.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Hi
Thanks

It registers a voltage drop as it thinks the ignition is turned off when the engine stops and the alternator stops pumping juice into the system so goes into parking mode. Some without a capacitor also stop recording with the voltage drop from the starter cranking the engine over.

Disable Stop/Start and you never have that problem.

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
Is there a reason why you wouldn't use unused fuses for these accessories?

I am hardwiring a radar detector and dash cam (with switch and always on power) and trying to figure out how I'll tackle the fuse box situation.

The kit I purchased comes with fuse taps.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Is there a reason why you wouldn't use unused fuses for these accessories?

I am hardwiring a radar detector and dash cam (with switch and always on power) and trying to figure out how I'll tackle the fuse box situation.

The kit I purchased comes with fuse taps.

Most of the unused fuses were not switched, rather they were constant power. I didn’t want this. Some of the other empty slots I could not fit the add a fuse into.

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
Most of the unused fuses were not switched, rather they were constant power. I didn’t want this. Some of the other empty slots I could not fit the add a fuse into.

Ah I see, I’ll need 1 constant and 2 switched in my case. So assuming the bundle I purchased comes with many sized fuse taps, I’ll probably be able to find 2 empty switched fuses to use?

When using the fuse taps in this scenario, would I place the fuse in the bottom position, leaving the top empty? (with the fuse tap wire going up).

jackalope

Ready to race!
There are two fuses you can use. In ERWIN for the Alltrack made in Mexico they are listed as unused, but I found them in the fuse diagram for the R which is made in Germany.

Fuse 28 is for the towing module which we don't get in America. It's always on and the stock fuse for that one is 20 amps or 25 amps depending on the year. I put a 10 amp fuse on my fuse tap and used it to power a USB phone charger and 12V splitter

Fuse 38 is another towing control module. I don't know why there are two.

Fuse 52 was apparently used for the engine sound generator control module aka Soundaktor in 2013 and is on with the engine. In later years it became unused. The fuse for that one is listed as 10 amps.

I don't know that much about vehicle electrical systems, so I don't know if a fuse that was in previous model years rated for 10 amps can still handle a 10 amp load, or if it should be used at all. Tap fuse sockets at your own risk!

https://i.imgur.com/rxUSLZQ.jpg

Last edited:

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
There are two fuses you can use. In ERWIN for the Alltrack made in Mexico they are listed as unused, but I found them in the fuse diagram for the R which is made in Germany.

Fuse 28 is for the towing module which we don't get in America. It's always on and the stock fuse for that one is 20 amps or 25 amps depending on the year. I put a 10 amp fuse on my fuse tap and used it to power a USB phone charger and 12V splitter

Fuse 38 is another towing control module. I don't know why there are two.

Fuse 52 was apparently used for the engine sound generator control module aka Soundaktor in 2013 and is on with the engine. In later years it became unused. The fuse for that one is listed as 10 amps.

I don't know that much about vehicle electrical systems, so I don't know if a fuse that was in previous model years rated for 10 amps can still handle a 10 amp load, or if it should be used at all. Tap fuse sockets at your own risk!

https://i.imgur.com/rxUSLZQ.jpg

I’m of the belief if you use a fuse tap device with 2 slots it doesn’t really matter which fuse slot you tap..

Haboob

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it less than ideal to wiretap to the mirror? I have an Autobahn, but I haven't been able to find anything that shows me where/what to tap into there.

I'm holding off on using my radar detector and purchasing a dash cam for this reason. I'd rather not have to run wires around the car if I don't have to.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Is it less than ideal to wiretap to the mirror? I have an Autobahn, but I haven't been able to find anything that shows me where/what to tap into there.

I'm holding off on using my radar detector and purchasing a dash cam for this reason. I'd rather not have to run wires around the car if I don't have to.

Yeah some people have tried from what I’ve seen in random threats that I have come across but the consensus is that power up there is not steady enough and there’s not many wires were areas to tap into in the first place.

The good news is that running wires in this car is really not difficult at all. You could probably have everything done in under an hour.

Snitt

Ready to race!
Thank you for this how-to! I installed a Rexing V1 with their $10 hard-wire kit using this guide. The only thing I wasn't expecting was the terrible 3M mounting tape for the camera to the windshield that Rexing included with the camera. In the hot and humid Ohio weather, the mount started sliding and leaving a gooey black snail trail down my windshield. After a few days of it falling off, I ordered some 30lb Gorilla mounting tape, and it's been fine ever since.