GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clean and condition leather?

Jdreg

Ready to race!
As an experiment I put some leather conditioner on the seats in 1 spot. Put it on real thick, and rubbed it in. Came back an hour later and it was still sitting on the coating applied to the leather. These seats are specifically designed to repel moisture, no conidioner will get through. It may clean it or make it smell good, but that’s it. The important part is to uv protect the seats.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
You need to clean the leather surfaces as they get oily from your skin, and dye is transferred from your jeans.

Just use 1Z Lederpflege on everything.

45,000mi later and my seats, armrest, and steering wheel still look new.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
My Walmart had some Chemical Guys. FYI.

I bought the CG leather quick detail from Walmrt on a whim and I really liked it. It smells like a leather shop, makes the leather nice and clean looking/feeling and lasts a long time. I'm sure theres better products out there but I'm very happy with this stuff

jxkim

Passed Driver's Ed
i believe since touching the steering wheel everyday for the past few weeks, it feels like real soft leather. i definitely plan on using lexol cleaner and conditioner on it. probably put 303 or 3m over it for uv

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I had amazing results with Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner in our '90 Cabby, different leather obviously, but I just wanted to say that the product really does a pretty great job despite some youtube reviews I've seen of it. There's one a-hole in particular who really doesn't like Lexol and just makes videos intentionally trashing it.

I used the Chemical Guys horsehair brush (only out of quick amazon availability and time crunch because I decided last minute to take the car to a show) and while it worked well for the job, I don't care for it as a product. Many hairs came out and I would not recommend or purchase a second one.

I've found the key to really breaking down grease/dirt/grime that was deposited was a spray down of warm water onto the seat then immediately hit the area with the Lexol cleaner and start scrubbing with the horse hair brush. Really get the lather up. Wipe clean/dry with microfiber.

Hit with the conditioner following the instructions on the bottle.

I had people asking me at the show when I had the seats redone, they haven't been, ever.
This was my result:

TTU14

I've had really good luck with Lexol on some old leather couches, but they weren't sealed leather.

For both our cars with sealed leather, I just wipe them down with Meguiar's gold class leather cleaner. On my GTI it doesn't do much except clean up the dust and smell good, but in my wife's Hyundai with tan leather, it does clean up jean stains and dog footprints pretty well.

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Does the CG stuff provide any UV protection? 303 is ok for the interior?

jxkim

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had really good luck with Lexol on some old leather couches, but they weren't sealed leather.

For both our cars with sealed leather, I just wipe them down with Meguiar's gold class leather cleaner. On my GTI it doesn't do much except clean up the dust and smell good, but in my wife's Hyundai with tan leather, it does clean up jean stains and dog footprints pretty well.

i've used lexol on my real leather shoes, having great results. but since the gti seats is sealed leather i figured would go another route after seeing this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKmJp1zuLh4

bought the yellow brush (could find on ebay or amazon for cheaper), i have ONR solution already, and after will use OPTIMUM PROTECTANT PLUS (LEATHER PROTECTANT) instead of 303.