GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Freehold VW

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
I've searched through the Tri-state forums for them but didn't see them mentioned

Who has experience with them? I know they're an APR tuner, so I doubt they're gonna void a warranty, but hey, figure I'd ask right?

Anyone got anything to say about them?

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
I don't have any experience with them specifically but after purchasing a used GTI and doing some digging into my car I came to find out it was tuned at a VW dealer (Smith VW in DE) who was an APR tuner. I'd emailed their performance guy and he said they make everyone sign a waiver acknowledging their modifying the ECU. So they won't just void your warranty on the spot but they're going to cover their ass and make you sign something I'd assume.

If you're worried about the warranty, I'd look into the JB1/4 that can be removed.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I've dealt heavily with Smith VW in Delaware.

They will try to help you out any way they can if there's an issue with your car.
I had an issue with my transmission PRIOR to doing a tune. I had a CAI and an exhaust on my car that Smith did not install.
They did a host of suspension upgrades for me and worked with VW of America on my transmission warranty. They went so far as to ask me to bring in my stock intake in case the local VW rep would come in to actually look at my car. If he did come in, they would have re-installed the stock intake so that VW wouldn't bitch about my car being modified. In the end, I got the transmission replaced under warranty - while the had the new transmission on the bench, they installed a Peloquin LSD and I had a Sachs performance clutch installed to save me a ton of labor costs :D

In the end, it all depends on what's wrong with your car and how much the dealer (APR and VW) is willing to work with you if there's a problem.
Yes, APR makes you sign the document that you're aware of what you're doing. It has nothing to do with the retailer of the tune.

I can't recommend Smith VW enough. Plus, there's no tax in Delaware.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Coming from a dealer's perspective (former service advisor, ask me anything) there are two schools of thought. Some dealers refuse to warranty anything if they see even one modification to a car, because they're idiots. One service manager I worked with refused to approve a warranty replacement for a catalytic converter, based on the fact that the car had a cat-back exhaust. This mentality is basically the old way of doing business, with a little "try and F the customer out every possible cent" thrown in for good measure.

The other approach is usually found at dealers that are also selling performance parts; they'll make you aware that modifying your car may affect your warranty, and will still perform warranty repairs for unrelated items, but if something they sold you (or even installed) caused a failure that they can't cover, well, you knew the risks going in. Naturally I preferred the second approach. It would be nice if VW struck some sort of arrangement with APR like BMW has with Dinan, where practically every dealer sells Dinan parts and there's never any conflicts when it comes to warranty repairs. Or, they should do it the way Ford Motorsports does, and offer warranty-backed parts and tunes through their dealer network. In both of those cases, they're selling a car that they know people are going to want to enhance, so why not give them an option that's A) has less uncertainty and B) brings in some additional profit?

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
Coming from a dealer's perspective (former service advisor, ask me anything) there are two schools of thought. Some dealers refuse to warranty anything if they see even one modification to a car, because they're idiots. One service manager I worked with refused to approve a warranty replacement for a catalytic converter, based on the fact that the car had a cat-back exhaust. This mentality is basically the old way of doing business, with a little "try and F the customer out every possible cent" thrown in for good measure.

Doubt he's still around and doubt I'll ever have to worry about doing business with him as well, what a prick

The other approach is usually found at dealers that are also selling performance parts; they'll make you aware that modifying your car may affect your warranty, and will still perform warranty repairs for unrelated items, but if something they sold you (or even installed) caused a failure that they can't cover, well, you knew the risks going in. Naturally I preferred the second approach. It would be nice if VW struck some sort of arrangement with APR like BMW has with Dinan, where practically every dealer sells Dinan parts and there's never any conflicts when it comes to warranty repairs. Or, they should do it the way Ford Motorsports does, and offer warranty-backed parts and tunes through their dealer network. In both of those cases, they're selling a car that they know people are going to want to enhance, so why not give them an option that's A) has less uncertainty and B) brings in some additional profit?

You'd think they'd go partners with APR like BMW did, it would probably help with Sales since everyone here wouldn't be posting a "Does this void my warranty" thread

Wonder why they're holding out, maybe they got something else better in the works...

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!

So, any word on whats going on with them?

I know they're outta business once again, but they in the process of moving into the Nissan lot, or?

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie

So, any word on whats going on with them?

I know they're outta business once again, but they in the process of moving into the Nissan lot, or?

Its a shame. They're out of business again. I worked at the BMW dealership across the road so I would go there a lot for parts for my GTIs. Very very helpful and friendly.

About a week before they completely closed up my gti got a water pump leak, and the advisor came out and told me straight up it was and should be covered, just that they weren't taking appointments anymore. Asked him why they were closing and it turns out its because they weren't making enough profit. Asked him how, because my dealership seemed busy and well, the DCH BMW was making a killing apparently. Guess they were too close to all the other dealers.

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
Island Motorsports in Pt Pleasant is an APR dealer.

They did the resonators on my A4's FI catback (It was much louder then)

They're good, I'll msg them for a quote on going IS20 with supporting mods

Edit: Just sent them a msg, lets see what they'll quote me

Its a shame. They're out of business again. I worked at the BMW dealership across the road so I would go there a lot for parts for my GTIs. Very very helpful and friendly.

About a week before they completely closed up my gti got a water pump leak, and the advisor came out and told me straight up it was and should be covered, just that they weren't taking appointments anymore. Asked him why they were closing and it turns out its because they weren't making enough profit. Asked him how, because my dealership seemed busy and well, the DCH BMW was making a killing apparently. Guess they were too close to all the other dealers.

And I heard from my friend who use to work at Freehold Nissan they were moving into the pre-owned part of their dealership

What a shame, feel bad for Najat, I wanted to get a Golf R from her someday