GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hidden/fake exhausts on new cars...why?

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I just had a thought today and was wondering, why on earth are manufactures going the route of fake/hidden exhausts? I know hidden exhausts was a common thing years ago, especially on tdi's with turn down exhausts, but this cut out of an exhaust in the bumper is really lame... just look at mercedes, they all have the same crappy fake exhaust cutout... then you have even worse, like audi, who don't even have a cut out, but literally a fake looking exhaust... Even the Mk7.5 golf has fake looking exhausts, which is a real shame. What is up with this? Every manufacture seems to be following this trend...

First 2 are mercedes

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Because people care only about the exterior looks and not the real substance [emoji6]

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
What's even more superfluous is having them on electric cars:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Just like early and some current all electric cars still have the front grill for looks, the same thing is happening on the rear with exhaust. Tesla is the only car company that has just removed most of the front grill. I think they are holding on to the older look some as it take consumers a while to get used to the thought of buying something that does not look right. In time front grill and tail pipes and opening will go away.

I for one do not like the Tesla front. I would rather have less painted surfaces on the front of the car. To much surface area for stone chips. Maybe they just need to add aero nose cones that we can replace when worn or damaged.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Doesn't bother me, not like fake air ducts. I mean, they do no harm, and actually look better than the real pipes usually. Is it kind of dumb? Yeah, but of all the things to be worried about on today's cars, this doesn't strike me as a strong contender.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Probably due to costs too

But look at it this way, your faux exhaust tips will never have carbon buildup...just sayin'

It is stupid though, I prefer functional

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I agree costs are probably a factor, but an sq5 with fake exhaust? Surely if the s4 and s5 could keep the quad exhausts, so could the sq5 if it were just cost... That's just one example, but what can you do

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
You want fake and not functional, I give you the entire late 1970s-early 1980s run of American so-called performance cars....

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Probably due to costs too

Also manufacturing.

There should be minimal gap between exhaust tip and bumper to get a perfect look and fit. As a result the manufacturing tolerance should have to be really low and OEMs do not want to spend money on this.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You want fake and not functional, I give you the entire late 1970s-early 1980s run of American so-called performance cars....

LOL. I had a 1978 Trans Am T/A 6.6 with a single exhaust pipe and fake quad tail pipes. Now I have a 2016 R with the same thing.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
It is annoying and I hate the look especially on AMG's. But it does flow well with the bumper. My E350 is like that and it looks weird if you look closely but at a glance it's fine imo.

And people think quad or double exhaust automatically means faster car. I love the lock of quad and dual exhausts but there's some cars out there that really shouldn't have them I think.