GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 tdi GT - cambelt -?

baldybouncer

Just had an email from my local dealer telling me my cambelt is due - I was under the impression mk7 golf 2.0tdi engines had 120K or more on the belts? Can anyone confirm when and if the belt does need changing?

vwman

Go Kart Champion
The schedule for the Mk7 2.0 TDI engine shows 130k miles or five years, whichever is first, for the cambelt change.

RC Mad

I couldn't get a straight answer out of either of the two local VW dealers (they are part of the same group) regarding the belt change interval on the 2.0 tdi engine. One said it was for life then changed that to 125k and the other said it was 130K when i finally got an answer out of them. I've now decided i don't trust the local VW dealers to work on my car. They are a part of the company that made the car so they should know when the belts need changing and should be able to find that information easily!

130k miles seems a bit to much to me so as a precaution I've just just had it done along with the waterpump at 110k miles. We took my wife's car in for a service at skoda so i asked them if they'd do it. One of the workshop bods had a look at the engine and said 3.5 hrs no problem :D he also queried why i was having done at 110k miles as that engine only needs a belt at 130k.

I booked the car in for the work with them that week, they are a friendly bunch over there and they take good car of my wife's skoda so why not :)

£485 all in, they did warn me that the coolant level may drop slightly, and that topping it off with water would be fine. The level did drop overnight, 250ml of water was enough to put the level where it should be.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I couldn't get a straight answer out of either of the two local VW dealers (they are part of the same group) regarding the belt change interval on the 2.0 tdi engine. One said it was for life then changed that to 125k and the other said it was 130K when i finally got an answer out of them. I've now decided i don't trust the local VW dealers to work on my car. They are a part of the company that made the car so they should know when the belts need changing and should be able to find that information easily!

130k miles seems a bit to much to me so as a precaution I've just just had it done along with the waterpump at 110k miles. We took my wife's car in for a service at skoda so i asked them if they'd do it. One of the workshop bods had a look at the engine and said 3.5 hrs no problem :D he also queried why i was having done at 110k miles as that engine only needs a belt at 130k.

I booked the car in for the work with them that week, they are a friendly bunch over there and they take good car of my wife's skoda so why not :)

£485 all in, they did warn me that the coolant level may drop slightly, and that topping it off with water would be fine. The level did drop overnight, 250ml of water was enough to put the level where it should be.

Maybe you could call Volkswagen directly, tell them what happened with the dealer etc and ask for a true answer..