GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Member need advise.

Matt97

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Everyone. Very glad to join this forum. I am wondering if someone can give me some advise on few things. I have just ordered a Golf SE NAV last week. I am still waiting to confirm the build week. So I still have chance to add some stuff. I am now kinda struggling to decide whether to opt for LED Headlights or not since it's quite a expensive option. I never own any car that has LED Headlights before. So I am wondering if anyone can share some experience about using it in real life. I ever heard people talked about LED(or HID) lights not quite useful at foggy, snowy or heavy rain situation.
I am also thinking about upgrade to 17inch wheel. But wondering if this is a good idea for the SE NAV since it doesn't come with sports suspension. Would it be very rough on the ride for a 17 on a SE Nav.
Any advise will be really appreciated.

baldybouncer

Hi Everyone. Very glad to join this forum. I am wondering if someone can give me some advise on few things. I have just ordered a Golf SE NAV last week. I am still waiting to confirm the build week. So I still have chance to add some stuff. I am now kinda struggling to decide whether to opt for LED Headlights or not since it's quite a expensive option. I never own any car that has LED Headlights before. So I am wondering if anyone can share some experience about using it in real life. I ever heard people talked about LED(or HID) lights not quite useful at foggy, snowy or heavy rain situation.
I am also thinking about upgrade to 17inch wheel. But wondering if this is a good idea for the SE NAV since it doesn't come with sports suspension. Would it be very rough on the ride for a 17 on a SE Nav.

I would recommend you cancel the order - the cars are poorly designed and made - mine has been full of issues!

VW customer service are shocking - My cars suspension is rattling like a london taxi... and they refuse to fix it...

marvin1

Ready to race!
I would recommend you cancel the order - the cars are poorly designed and made - mine has been full of issues!

VW customer service are shocking - My cars suspension is rattling like a london taxi... and they refuse to fix it...

Well that's not much help to the OP is it? Just because you have been unfortunate in your purchase doesn't mean that everyone else has, does it?
To date I have had no problems with my new Golf Match 1.4TSI Edition bought last July.
Do you know that forums are the worst place to come for advice as they are often off-putting as people with problems tend to be the majority posting on them.

marvin1

Ready to race!

I find the suspension quite firm already on my quite ordinary speccd car and certainly would not put larger wheels in it, personally, unless you like a hard unforgiving ride.
I cannot answer for the other things you ask and frankly don't believe in over tarting up a particular model one choses, unless you are going to keep it a long time.

Matt97

Passed Driver's Ed

um.....that sounds interesting. I thought VW is a reliable brand except that diesel gate. But I supposed your car still under warranty. They suppose to fix any problem for you.

LG3MK7

Ready to race!
Quite the response there lol.
17 inch wheels should be fine they still have a large sidewall on the tires so that shouldn't be an issue at all. As far as LED headlights, wish I had them. If you enjoy looking at your car get them, changes the look of the car. If you just have the car to get from A to B then stick with the halogens. Headlight won't help with fog much, but some guy invented fog lights so that will take care of that issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Matt97

Passed Driver's Ed
Quite the response there lol.
17 inch wheels should be fine they still have a large sidewall on the tires so that shouldn't be an issue at all. As far as LED headlights, wish I had them. If you enjoy looking at your car get them, changes the look of the car. If you just have the car to get from A to B then stick with the halogens. Headlight won't help with fog much, but some guy invented fog lights so that will take care of that issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Hi, Thanks a lot for reply. I think I will go for a 17 wheel but maybe leave LED lights alone.
Here I got a random question..I am wondering how many people opt for active info display? Is it really worth the money or it's just a expensive toy?

marvin1

Ready to race!
Hi, Thanks a lot for reply. I think I will go for a 17 wheel but maybe leave LED lights alone.
Here I got a random question..I am wondering how many people opt for active info display? Is it really worth the money or it's just a expensive toy?

Oh I have just realised you of course have ordered a Golf MK7.5!! Active display is a nice toy but the gesture control, from the videos I have watched is a load of crap. I'd go for the display over oversized wheels any day as silly big wheels with rubber bands on them, for tyres, is my béte noir.;)

baldybouncer

My 3 year old 2.0tdi GT has had the following since I have ownded it :

New touch screen - was in 4 times before they replaced
New carpets - the insulation was not fastened to the floor correctly so it cut through the carpet in multiple places
fuel cap lock - failed - replaced
Rear shocks - replaced due to knocking - not solved the noise
It has been in 4 times for the squeaking suspension - still not resolved
Front shock is leaking ...

VW used to be well made - they have cut corners on the new golf and the difference is showing.

I have owned vw cars for 25 years - still have a touran we bought new and is 10 years old and has given less trouble than this car!

My main issue is the way that VW treat you when you find an issue - the dealers are useless

I would not recommend one to anyone at the moment

Matt97

Passed Driver's Ed
My 3 year old 2.0tdi GT has had the following since I have ownded it :

New touch screen - was in 4 times before they replaced
New carpets - the insulation was not fastened to the floor correctly so it cut through the carpet in multiple places
fuel cap lock - failed - replaced
Rear shocks - replaced due to knocking - not solved the noise
It has been in 4 times for the squeaking suspension - still not resolved
Front shock is leaking ...

VW used to be well made - they have cut corners on the new golf and the difference is showing.

I have owned vw cars for 25 years - still have a touran we bought new and is 10 years old and has given less trouble than this car!

My main issue is the way that VW treat you when you find an issue - the dealers are useless

I would not recommend one to anyone at the moment

Sorry to hear that. But tell you what I own a Vauxhall Astra and I got major failure on the gear box just few month after warranty is expired. The car was only doing around 42K miles at the time. However Vauxhall refused to contribute anything toward the repair. I end up paying £2400 for a rebuild. I hope VW is better than that.

keeton

Passed Driver's Ed
iv just orderd a gtd i drive a astra gtc one of the worst cars iv had blind spots all over the car im looking forward to getting the golf . id go for as many options as your budget lets you iv gone for pro nav and audio upgrade also got the 19" pretoria already

Avanti

Go Kart Champion

What's the price difference on the one you have ordered and one with 17" wheels and led lights as standard?
With lights it's not a one horse race, they all have their pro's n cons in functionality.

Matt97

Passed Driver's Ed
What's the price difference on the one you have ordered and one with 17" wheels and led lights as standard?
With lights it's not a one horse race, they all have their pro's n cons in functionality.

I think that would be GTD. Since I choose DSG box. So a cheapest GTD would be £29295 before adding any options. So even after some discount. This would be still a lot over my budget. But I think I will leave LED lights alone since the standard one isn't all that ugly.....just LED one definitely looks much cooler though.

Matt97

Passed Driver's Ed
iv just orderd a gtd i drive a astra gtc one of the worst cars iv had blind spots all over the car im looking forward to getting the golf . id go for as many options as your budget lets you iv gone for pro nav and audio upgrade also got the 19" pretoria already

Astra GTC is one of a good looking car. But ever since I had problem with that gear box. I am no longer buying anything from Vauxhall. They are cheaper for a reason I suppose.

I did go for as many options as I can within my budget. I opt for active info display, 17 inch wheel, rear view camera, 2zone climate, winter pack, fog light, keyless entry, tinted windows. I think I should be quite enjoy in it for a while....

Just one question. the LED fog lights, for some reason I was trying to add this with LED headlights. However it won't allow me. Does that mean the LED headlights come with fog light as a pack?

baldybouncer

Astra GTC is one of a good looking car. But ever since I had problem with that gear box. I am no longer buying anything from Vauxhall. They are cheaper for a reason I suppose.

I did go for as many options as I can within my budget. I opt for active info display, 17 inch wheel, rear view camera, 2zone climate, winter pack, fog light, keyless entry, tinted windows. I think I should be quite enjoy in it for a while....

Just one question. the LED fog lights, for some reason I was trying to add this with LED headlights. However it won't allow me. Does that mean the LED headlights come with fog light as a pack?

Have you tried using carwow website - put the car options you want in and dealers bid you on their best price - I have seen savings of over £4k