GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
- MAP catted and resonated DP
- CSS muffler

MagnaFlow 10416 replacement for the OEM resonator.

Added some low tone and got rid of any drone. Just keep in mind my DP is resonated too.

Still above 2800rpm - 3500rpm the CSS muffler is somewhat noisy / rattle / vibrations (fault is the internal design of the CSS muffler I think).
DSG farts are nice and loud if you want to :)
Still quiet enough to be a DD and not annoying at all if you drive on the interstate 60-80mph. It just get loud if you step on it!

Hockey

Ready to race!
I currently just have a muffler delete but am now thinking of replacing the resonator. Currently the car has a bit of drone in the high RPM's and downshifts. I like the volume I'm getting over stock setup except for the tiny bit of drone.

Question is, should I replace my resonator with a larger one or add something? My goal is to eliminate all/most drone but keep the volume I have.

Stronggside

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm a bit new to the MK7 game but..

I had a APR DP and Magnaflow CBE on my mk6 and it sounded glorious.

I've been hearing people complaining about a DP with stock CBE on the mk7s.

IS this true? HMM

Twist1

Autocross Newbie

IS this true? HMM

I have the exact same set up on the mk7 and it is even more glorious than before. Some would call it droney though but it sounds amazing from outside.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Has anyone added a 17930 and left the stock resonator in place?

Also after doing some digging I was able to find this 2.5 22" resonator, what do you think, Jake?
https://www.amazon.com/MBRP-R1016-Overall-Stainless-Resonator/dp/B000OAZCW2

Nope and nope. Just a vibrant 17950 or 17930

I currently just have a muffler delete but am now thinking of replacing the resonator. Currently the car has a bit of drone in the high RPM's and downshifts. I like the volume I'm getting over stock setup except for the tiny bit of drone.

Question is, should I replace my resonator with a larger one or add something? My goal is to eliminate all/most drone but keep the volume I have.[/QUOTE

Replace stock with vibrant 17950. I sell a bolt on version if you’re interested. It’ll deepen the tone, kill drone, and slightly lower volume but there’s no getting around that

IS this true? HMM

Downpipe will always require a resonator upgrade regardless of which CBE you have on a mk7.

Supposedly the only exception to this rule is IE and AWE downpipes that use the factory cat location very close to the turbo

I have the exact same set up on the mk7 and it is even more glorious than before. Some would call it droney though but it sounds amazing from outside.

Inside on the highway it’s too much for most people.

A very similar example with be a awe track with a downpipe. Great (loud) aggressive sound but at the cost of drone

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!

IS this true? HMM

I have the apr catted dp with the stock cbe and I actually am disappointed with it. I think it is too quiet. I am looking to make it louder, but I used to daily drive a car with 4inch exhaust.

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
It’s the same one as the mk7. I got mine from siliconehoses on eBay and it fit just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a link?

Hockey

Ready to race!
Replace stock with vibrant 17950. I sell a bolt on version if you’re interested. It’ll deepen the tone, kill drone, and slightly lower volume but there’s no getting around that

Ok thanks, I really just want it to be slightly louder than stock but to also have some burbles and crackles/DSG pops.

Anyone have a video with muffler delete and Vibrant 17950?

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Nope and nope. Just a vibrant 17950 or 17930

Question is, should I replace my resonator with a larger one or add something? My goal is to eliminate all/most drone but keep the volume I have.[/QUOTE

Downpipe will always require a resonator upgrade regardless of which CBE you have on a mk7.

Supposedly the only exception to this rule is IE and AWE downpipes that use the factory cat location very close to the turbo

Inside on the highway it’s too much for most people.

A very similar example with be a awe track with a downpipe. Great (loud) aggressive sound but at the cost of drone
My current thinking is IE DP, Vibrant 17930, XX, CSS muffler to get the sound I want. What would you recommend in place of XX to lower volume just a tiny bit, would the Vibrant 1141 res do anything to muffle sound more?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My current thinking is IE DP, Vibrant 17930, XX, CSS muffler to get the sound I want. What would you recommend in place of XX to lower volume just a tiny bit, would the Vibrant 1141 res do anything to muffle sound more?

Slightly, you can put it in the spot next to the fuel tank. Also, add a hanger there too you already have the side mounted to the subframe for other MQB cars

Note that it’ll be a small muffler in that location. This will NOT help with drone for any one getting crazy ideas lol

MatthewMateo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Slightly, you can put it in the spot next to the fuel tank. Also, add a hanger there too you already have the side mounted to the subframe for other MQB cars

Note that it’ll be a small muffler in that location. This will NOT help with drone for any one getting crazy ideas lol

This is about what I’m considering as well. CSS with downpipe, I don’t want drone, but I also don’t want it to be too loud. Ideally, the sound of just the CSS, but with the added power from the downpipe. Would you recommend this same move?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This is about what I’m considering as well. CSS with downpipe, I don’t want drone, but I also don’t want it to be too loud. Ideally, the sound of just the CSS, but with the added power from the downpipe. Would you recommend this same move?

No, Vibrant 17950 to replace the factory resonator (I build a bolt on piece or you can cut/weld & install yourself if you have the means

If that’s too loud put the stock muffler back on as that combo (catted downpipe + upgraded resonator on the factory CBE) is perfect for those looking for better sound without a big increase in volume. I literally just finished installing that exactly on a car from NYC so he’ll probably be posting a review in the next few days

If you don’t already have the CSS muffler I’d hold off as it’s very loud paired with anything but the stock downpipe