GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best highway gas mileage GTI? R?

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Averaged 36 mpg on a 22 mile highway drive from Boston to Norwood this afternoon. Traffic was relatively light but experienced some stop and go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
Just drove Monday night from Greenville S.C.To Charleston to snap my daughter from the jaws of Florence. No real traffic,drove the 400 mile round trip in 6 hrs.. avg.speed 78_-80 mph. Got 26.6 actual mpg. Car reported 27.8. That's as close as I ever get. It's usually about 4mpg optimistic. Greenville is in the foothills, 900 to 1200 ft. So it's not a flat trip. I'm not complaining.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
On a 1200 mile roadtrip during the brutal heatwave on the east coast, with tons of WOT, traffic and little cruise control-Also in Sport the entire trip-I averaged just under 37mpg. I havent taken any significant trips since then, but Im still impressed at how well it did for how often I was on it.

Mk7_leo

Stock 2018 Gti 6 mile Highway drive everyday, light traffic, and I drive it a bit hard 24mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Germarican

Hello,

Not sure what to tell you here, but it's definitely possible. I did a series of tests with my cargo box and trailer over a 200-mile loop, which had a stop or two. In short, I saw this:

We also did an 1800-mile round family trip for Thanksgiving last year. We had the cargo box mounted and around 800 lbs of passengers, luggage, food, and an electric cooler. We averaged ~29 mpg, which included some city driving and a 35-mpg tank on the way home (down from the mountains?).

Finally, there's the 26 mpg that I usually get when hauling this 1000-lb load (these photos were taken yesterday):

Everything I report is hand-calculated, not cluster readout BS. I, too, am skeptical of high MPG reports if the user's only source of info is the cluster.

BTW, I'm APR Stage 2.

Scott
What hitch do you use?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

H

Huntermike

I’m right there with you. These guys drive beyond slow and are in “blue” ideal range to accomplish this. Try to stay in blue range on your car. Basically u put car in auto and accelerate like an egg is under the gas pedal anything more then super slow throttle input and the egg will smash behind the pedal [emoji23][emoji23]

There is no mystery to gas mileage except super boring driving. If I wanted that I would have gotten a tdi not a GTI. FWIW I seem to be getting better gas mileage since adding my burger tune.

Is there no way to display true averages mileage? Everything I can find is “since start?”
The egg under the gas pedal is a myth. Gasoline engines are most efficient when operating at WOT in the highest brake specific fuel consumption range. It's where the engine uses the least fuel for a given torque output. Typically large throttle openings at lower RPM. BUT, you need to keep a FI engine in closed-loop operation. When you go open-loop it dumps a ton more fuel. Look at this example...between 1800-2600rpm and 6.5-9.5bar is the sweet spot.

Average mileage can be displayed on the dash or the gauge cluster. If you cycle your gauge and it shows "since start", just press the OK button and it will cycle between "since start", "since refuel", and "extended". On the center display just press car and show vehicle information and there will be right and left soft keys to cycle through the same. My car is 6% optimistic.

Reboot

Passed Driver's Ed
Seriously this whole thread is ridiculous, you guys bought a high performance car and you're driving it like a Prius. The whole thing is look at look at me look at me how much of a douchebag I am while I am driving 30mph under the speed limit screwing up traffic for everybody else and causing accidents in the process. If you want to drive like an idiot then please buy a Prius instead so we all know to avoid you. This hyper-miling involves driving techniques which are downright insane and dangerous like driving 2ft from a bumper of a big rig just because someone gets their jolies out of seeing a high MPG and bragging about it on the Internet. Here is a newsflash you're not saving planet Earth with your driving but you sure will kill someone in the process while you're drafting that big rig and causing it to crash while it takes out a dozen cars. Hope those gas savings are worth it.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What?

Seriously this whole thread is ridiculous, you guys bought a high performance car and you're driving it like a Prius. The whole thing is look at look at me look at me how much of a douchebag I am while I am driving 30mph under the speed limit screwing up traffic for everybody else and causing accidents in the process.

"High performance car?" That's FUNNY! It's a GTI, not a RS8. And I'm pretty sure NO ONE has mentioned hypermiling or driving dangerously slow anywhere in this thread. If you're thinking about the 45-mph "average" speeds on the display, that's an easy explanation:

In my own examples, where I state that I usually drive between 70-75 mph during my commute, what I don't say is that my first 3/4-mile is in a 25-mph zone, the next 2.5 miles is in a 45-mph zone (with possible stops at controlled intersections) and then my last three miles has a stop as well as driving 10-15 mph in a parking area. All of that really kills the average speed, probably knocking mine down to 45-50 mph (not sure... haven't looked).

So get off your high horse about us driving our "high performance cars" like a Prius. BTW, have you seen the Prius drivers in major cities? There are two types: Hypermilers and total assholes. I see more the latter in my commute, but still find it annoying to get stuck behind ANYONE driving "5-over" in the left lane. Also, I like the balance between performance and economy with our cars. I suspect the OP and others feel the same; hence, the logical question and discussion about fuel economy from our "high performance cars." :rolleyes:

Scott

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk