GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High pitches wistle after startup

HikerDude90

Hey guys,

Hoping you can tell me if this is normal or I need to get it looked at. After a cold start, maybe 30 seconds - 1 minute, I hear a high pitched whistle just like in the video I linked. Only lasts for ~10 seconds and I never hear it again. Doesn’t do it on warm starts either, usually just if parked overnight for 12+ hours.

Outside
https://youtu.be/u50Na4Anop4

Inside
https://youtu.be/cwOSjxU_Re8

Any help, suggestions, or just “that’s normal it’s the fuel pump priming” would be appreciated. This is my first turbo car so I don’t know what is and isn’t normal for these.

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry for the terrible title spelling. Typing this out on my phone.

Last edited:

HikerDude90

That would be a good guess. Either way i'd definitely take it in and let them deal with it since its less than a year old.

Yeah that’s the plan at this point. It has a build date of 5/18 so it’s only a few months old and has 2500 miles. Problem is, I only get 1 chance at it. Once the car is turned on and the system is pressurized, I have to wait 12+ hours to hear it again. I’m hoping it’s as simple as a hose clamp and it’s slowly releasing pressure. I checked the water pump but it sounds more like it’s coming from the intercooler when it sucks in air.

I’ll be out of town so I probably won’t get it in to the dealership until beginning of October but I’ll update this post with whatever I find out.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Build date means nothing. Time starts from the day you buy it. Does the car do it every time? If it doesn't do it when you go to the dealer you'll probably need to leave it. The video won't help. Get you head in there and have someone start the car. If you can pinpoint the source it will help. What fault codes do you have?

HikerDude90

Build date means nothing. Time starts from the day you buy it. Does the car do it every time? If it doesn't do it when you go to the dealer you'll probably need to leave it. The video won't help. Get you head in there and have someone start the car. If you can pinpoint the source it will help. What fault codes do you have?

No fault codes. Sounds like it's coming from the intercooler (had the wife start it while I was looking under the hood). Maybe a loose hose?
I bought it 2 months ago (mid-July)

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Yeah that’s the plan at this point. It has a build date of 5/18 so it’s only a few months old and has 2500 miles. Problem is, I only get 1 chance at it. Once the car is turned on and the system is pressurized, I have to wait 12+ hours to hear it again. I’m hoping it’s as simple as a hose clamp and it’s slowly releasing pressure. I checked the water pump but it sounds more like it’s coming from the intercooler when it sucks in air.

I’ll be out of town so I probably won’t get it in to the dealership until beginning of October but I’ll update this post with whatever I find out.

No fault codes. Sounds like it's coming from the intercooler (had the wife start it while I was looking under the hood). Maybe a loose hose?
I bought it 2 months ago (mid-July)

If it was a loose hose clamp, it would always happen. Stop trying to guess, take it it. Guessing wont do anything. You aren't paying for the diag or the fix.

As already said it makes sense for it to be the SAI system, as cold starts are when it operates. You are likely hearing the air pump for the system or the whistling could be due to a hose for it having a little leak, or not being fully clipped in.