GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brisk Silvers

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I switched mine out as I'm starting to tune for e50 and I've had the plugs in for a while. Better safe than sorry. Cheap insurance.

Rsleyum

Passed Driver's Ed
Just an update after approx 7500 km on ER10S spark plugs ...the gap increased from 0.024” to 0.0375” which is quite a lot for short period of time ...I guess I have to gap it no more than 10K interval

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssuper6

The new Brisk er12s plugs have been installed. Like others have mentioned, my idle is now smoother. I don't know why colder plugs would do this, but these did.

Here are the NGK plugs that came from the factory. Plugs 1-4 in order from left to right. They actually look pretty good, other than plug 4.

Here is the plug from cylinder 4. Note the oil on my hand and threads

Here is a picture looking through the valve cover and head down to the piston. Note the oil. Sorry part of picture is out of focus. It also looked like there may have been a bit of oil on top of piston.

What did you end up doing? My 4th spark plug looked the EXACT SAME when I replaced them last night after 33k mi.... did you go to the dealer?

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
On my R I have had light coating of oil as well on cylinder 4 pretty much since I first changed plugs. No issues and doesn't seem to be getting worse either. My guess is a seal or gasket.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
And how do you gather this info? They transfer heat just fine and I'm 150hp over stock with my IS38.

I assume you mean you are fine with stock heat range plugs?

You could be 250 over stock and be fine...provided conditions are optimal. The issue arrives once you stay on the throttle long enough, your stock heat range plug turns into a glow plug. You then will experience pre-detonation.

It's all in the conditions the vehicle is driven in.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The new Brisk er12s plugs have been installed. Like others have mentioned, my idle is now smoother. I don't know why colder plugs would do this, but these did.

Here are the NGK plugs that came from the factory. Plugs 1-4 in order from left to right. They actually look pretty good, other than plug 4.

Here is the plug from cylinder 4. Note the oil on my hand and threads

Here is a picture looking through the valve cover and head down to the piston. Note the oil. Sorry part of picture is out of focus. It also looked like there may have been a bit of oil on top of piston.

I have the same issue, cylinder 4 with the oil. I contacted my friend, who is the head mechanic at the VW dealership by me and one of the best on the East Coast, and showed him the plug and asked about the oil. He said it's either the valve cover or cam cage seal but NOT the head gasket. I then asked should I be worried and was told due to the amount, no.

Alpha61

Passed Driver's Ed
just bought my first set and waiting for it to dry up so i can get them installed.

Alpha61

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow! So far after my 40 mile commute home you can tell some small differences. In the photos are the what I believe are stock spark plugs from almost 50k miles. Have had the slight idle issue where it looks stable according to the tach but can be felt thru the car. Also on wot there is a little bit better combustion and from the butt dyno seems to resonate to at least some more performance, albeit a little bit.

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Wow! So far after my 40 mile commute home you can tell some small differences. In the photos are the what I believe are stock spark plugs from almost 50k miles.

You will want to pay closer attention to the Brisks than you did the factory plugs. Pull them at 8k to regap and run to 15k or just run to 10k and change. I do the latter.

Silver erodes quickly.

Alpha61

Passed Driver's Ed
Duly noted as per reading this whole thread for the last week or two. How do the factory plugs look with that amount of mileage on them?

Alpha61

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, ~80/day, around 80-90mph (traffic permitting)

Last edited:

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Just installed 6th set of er12s with 10k mile intervals. Gap increased to .036 from .026. Was running perfectly fine even at that gap but it was time to swap.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Just installed 6th set of er12s with 10k mile intervals. Gap increased to .036 from .026. Was running perfectly fine even at that gap but it was time to swap.
Mine usually go fro. .020 to .024/5 in 5k miles

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk