GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GolfWang's Boring Build Thread

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So, ever since I got my new (to me) transmission installed, I had the roc-euro bar removed and reinstalled the OEM pendulum mount + the APR Steel Dogbone Insert (previously I had the 034 insert installed).

At first, the insert created insanely uncomfortable vibrations at idle, in reverse, when coming to a stop, and rolling below 10mph with my foot off the brake. But that all settled down to perfectly acceptable levels within 500 miles.

Since it settled down, though, I noticed that it didn't really feel like the insert was doing anything. Still had tons of slop in the engine/trans. I figured that the amount of time I spent driving on a broken Roc-Euro bar (no middle bolt) had redirected excess stress to the 034 engine/trans mounts.

On saturday I had Michelin AS3+'s installed at Smith VW, and the APR pendulum mount as well. It made a marked improvement in the slop I felt, but I can say without a doubt that my 034 mounts are trashed due to my previous issues. I think I'm going BFI this time, after everything I've heard about them. Their mounts do look amazing.

The good news is that, this is the first time I've ever had truly GOOD tires on my car, and they are every bit as good as everyone says they are. Pretty annoyed it took me 5 years and 3 GTIs to make the move on legit performance tires. They're not only more comfortable than the plastic Sumitomos I had before, but they obviously outperform in every single way.

Besides the BFI mounts that I'll be getting asap, I'm pretty damn happy with my car now. I'm at 53K miles, and plan to get a carbon cleaning at 60K. I have the RS7 coils/plugs waiting for when I get that done, and at the same time I will be doing the Unitronic Sage 1+ ECU/DSG tunes. After that, i'll be saving up for Bilstein B-whatevers, the non-DCC performance struts/shocks. Probably pairing them with Driver Gear springs, or something with a similarly minimal drop. Maybe Emanuelle Designs. And a rear sway bar.

Then... I'd like to believe I will be done touching my car. Just enjoying it for hopefully another 100K+ miles, which is only ~3 years at the rate I drive. Then I'll be looking at a manual SEL Alltrack in GFG w/ Marrakesh interior

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
So, ever since I got my new (to me) transmission installed, I had the roc-euro bar removed and reinstalled the OEM pendulum mount + the APR Steel Dogbone Insert (previously I had the 034 insert installed).

At first, the insert created insanely uncomfortable vibrations at idle, in reverse, when coming to a stop, and rolling below 10mph with my foot off the brake. But that all settled down to perfectly acceptable levels within 500 miles.

Since it settled down, though, I noticed that it didn't really feel like the insert was doing anything. Still had tons of slop in the engine/trans. I figured that the amount of time I spent driving on a broken Roc-Euro bar (no middle bolt) had redirected excess stress to the 034 engine/trans mounts.

On saturday I had Michelin AS3+'s installed at Smith VW, and the APR pendulum mount as well. It made a marked improvement in the slop I felt, but I can say without a doubt that my 034 mounts are trashed due to my previous issues. I think I'm going BFI this time, after everything I've heard about them. Their mounts do look amazing.

The good news is that, this is the first time I've ever had truly GOOD tires on my car, and they are every bit as good as everyone says they are. Pretty annoyed it took me 5 years and 3 GTIs to make the move on legit performance tires. They're not only more comfortable than the plastic Sumitomos I had before, but they obviously outperform in every single way.

Besides the BFI mounts that I'll be getting asap, I'm pretty damn happy with my car now. I'm at 53K miles, and plan to get a carbon cleaning at 60K. I have the RS7 coils/plugs waiting for when I get that done, and at the same time I will be doing the Unitronic Sage 1+ ECU/DSG tunes. After that, i'll be saving up for Bilstein B-whatevers, the non-DCC performance struts/shocks. Probably pairing them with Driver Gear springs, or something with a similarly minimal drop. Maybe Emanuelle Designs. And a rear sway bar.

Then... I'd like to believe I will be done touching my car. Just enjoying it for hopefully another 100K+ miles, which is only ~3 years at the rate I drive. Then I'll be looking at a manual SEL Alltrack in GFG w/ Marrakesh interior
Glad things are working out sir and sounds like you habe a solid plan in place!!!!

I was going to go alltrack but needed more back seat space so ended up selling the mk7 two weeks ago and picked up a 2014 Forester XT which has been pretty awesome so far.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Glad things are working out sir and sounds like you habe a solid plan in place!!!!

I was going to go alltrack but needed more back seat space so ended up selling the mk7 two weeks ago and picked up a 2014 Forester XT which has been pretty awesome so far.

:( you defected? You went from a GTI to a Forester and you don't regret it? I'm sad.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
:( you defected? You went from a GTI to a Forester and you don't regret it? I'm sad.
Haha I did sir.

The forester fits the family needs.

I do miss the handling but in a strait line it is on par with a stock mk7 with a low 6 second 0 to 60 so that helps.

Hopefully be back down the road in like an mk9 golf R lol

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Haha I did sir.

The forester fits the family needs.

I do miss the handling but in a strait line it is on par with a stock mk7 with a low 6 second 0 to 60 so that helps.

Hopefully be back down the road in like an mk9 golf R lol

REally?? that's a surprise. Does it have a turbo/V6?

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
how is the apr pendulum and insert combo? according to apr with just those you don't need motor mounts, but I would do it either way to play it safe.

also have you checked the apr insert to see if it has any noticeable bending like other brands?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
how is the apr pendulum and insert combo? according to apr with just those you don't need motor mounts, but I would do it either way to play it safe.

also have you checked the apr insert to see if it has any noticeable bending like other brands?

1) The combo is fantastic. As OEM+ as it gets. Essentially no vibrations, minimal movement + better performance. Definitely recommended, granted you're not going Stage 2+ (at that rate, I'd probably suggest the HPA or ECS mount suites). I'm on totally stock power.

2) No bending. I checked it after a month of driving on a broken roc euro bar, which allowed massive movement, so if it didn't bend from that, it's not gonna bend.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
REally?? that's a surprise. Does it have a turbo/V6?
Yea Awd 2.0 turbo 4cyl that makes 250hp and 258 tq

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
1) The combo is fantastic. As OEM+ as it gets. Essentially no vibrations, minimal movement + better performance. Definitely recommended, granted you're not going Stage 2+ (at that rate, I'd probably suggest the HPA or ECS mount suites). I'm on totally stock power.

2) No bending. I checked it after a month of driving on a broken roc euro bar, which allowed massive movement, so if it didn't bend from that, it's not gonna bend.

why do you not think stage 2+ will hold? just curious?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
why do you not think stage 2+ will hold? just curious?

It’s just a softer, more OEM+ approach. More power, and you might want the more stiff options with a poly dogbone puck that replaces the OEM mount, and a pendulum bar that basically allows *no* movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
I thought the same about the insert, but apr runs just the pendulum mount and insert on all of their stage 3 cars with stock motor mounts. I felt a full puck replacement would be a more durable long term option as well.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I thought the same about the insert, but apr runs just the pendulum mount and insert on all of their stage 3 cars with stock motor mounts. I felt a full puck replacement would be a more durable long term option as well.

Hm. Very weird that APR hasn't released their own motor mounts yet. I don't really get it. Maybe the profit margins are lower on those, and by advertising for just the insert and the pendulum bar they're reducing R&D + overhead, while maximizing profits on the insert + bar combo. idk, i don't trust APR very much. I always say they're like the Apple of the VW/Audi world. And I certainly don't trust Apple lol

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Repost from VCDS thread, just because I think this deserves more discussion/visibility than it does.

So I did the "DSR off" (Driving Steering Recommendation) tweak the other day, and it is astoundingly better than it was before. Honestly, DSR makes the car drive like a bratty, ADHD child that requires constant micromanagement. I thought my suspension was messed up, since I had just gotten a new alignment and my car still pulled left and right all day every day, and the steering was just so damn busy. It really made the experience much less enjoyable day in and day out.

Now, with DSR off, my car drives the way its supposed to. It tracks straight and true, even with my hands off the steering wheel on bumpy roads it doesn't leave its trajectory much. At least, not NEARLY as much as it did with DSR on.

10/10 strongly recommended to everyone, regardless of whether you feel like your steering is busy or not. Worst case scenario, you turn DSR back on if you like it more on than off.

Reporting back.

Looks like either this or disabling the seatbelt warning caused a code in the brake system. code was U1122 or U112200. Could not clear it worth a damn. I know my brakes are fine. So I started to trace my steps. undid the DSR off, then the seatbelt and also undid my XDS setting from Standard to WEAK. Then I was able to delete the code and no issues.

Just in case anyone get this, code, you can start the troubleshoot.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So in the ongoing shitstorm that is my MK7 ownership, my car does NOT drive like it's on 18lb wheels with AS3+, and Stage 1 engine mounts + APR insert and pendulum bar. There's tons of drivetrain slop. And my car is still on stock power.

So as you may know my transmission failed earlier this year due to the Roc-Euro pendulum bar's bolts backing out, leading to enough flex to sheer the transmission housing where the bolts went in. I was not aware that I needed a new transmission for at least a month, but I had known that something went awry, since the stiffness I found after the initial install was no longer there.

Anyway, got a new DSG, and installed the APR insert and APR pendulum bar. Drove great at first.

But I'm now in the same situation. My car feels so loose, and I almost can't bear to even look underneath the car, in the fear that the same thing happened twice.

I'll make sure there's nothing blatantly wrong before continuing, but assuming the same issue hasn't happened twice, why might this be the case? I've read recently that the engine/trans mounts require alignment upon install, and i'm now wondering whether improper installation of the engine mounts led to the initial failure of my DSG, since they allowed too much movement which caused undue stress on the roc euro bar.

After all, the 034 mounts are the common denominator here, and it's possible they also experienced excess stress for the month or so I was driving with a sheered transmission housing lacking a mounting point to the dogbone./pendulum bar.

Another possibility is that I need to replace the OEM rubber in the dogbone mount. Is that possible, or not even worth it? Guh. questions.