GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

8055WAGEN'S 2017 GSW DSG 4MOTION IS38

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Hi Guys
I've been soaking up the knowledge from the GOLFMK7 forums, and wanted to post up a record of the work I've been doing on my 2017 GSW DSG 4Motion.

I bought new in June 2018, had to drive a couple states away to pick it up.

Unfortunately on the drive home, something on the highway caused a rear driver's blowout. Tore up the rear bumper a bit. This fast tracked the first parts order.

New car, new wheels, everything was going great. Even did a little surgery on the intake.

Until Friday the 13th. And I'm not kidding, Friday, July 13th, and the black VW took a beating.

On my way home from work, I was rear ended. 2172 miles in, and it looked like this:

After numerous back and forth visits with the body shop, it was finally all sorted.

At this point I hadn't been able to drive the car for five weeks. This led to some late night shopping, and soon I had an IS20, JB4, 034 RSB, BBE Downpipe, and an eBay intercooler.

Alrighty, time to get some parts on.
This is where all the forum knowledge became super helpful.
After a long day, a late night, and only a handful of trips to the parts store, it was all in.

Well, almost everything. Didn't have time to install the intercooler.
I'll let you know how it goes in the future.

Currently going back and forth with George at BMS to dial in the tune on the JB4, it's been great working with him so far.

Thanks Guys
8055WAGEN

Last edited:

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Did not realized there was a DSG GSW, would have probably gone that route instead

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
You need an R front end to complete the 'R variant' replica! :D
Maybe some R Replica headlights and grille in the future. Bumper isn't in the stars right now.

Did not realized there was a DSG GSW, would have probably gone that route instead
Yeah the 4Motion has a DSG option, not available on the FWD USDM, not sure about other areas.

Lookin good!! Are you running 245/40-17?

225/45-17. Maybe should have gone for the 245 :/

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
From the order sheet

17X8 MOTEGI RACING MR131 TRAKLITE BRONZE
225/45R-17 FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500 XL

Sidewalls are pretty vertical, I've been happy with them so far.
Car still understeers a bit when you push it, hopefully that'll be fixed with some shocks and an alignment in the future

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Installed my intercooler over the weekend. Took about five hours, and only a couple surprises.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
What issues did you run into?

The intercooler is an eBay special, and I had two problems with fitment.

The first issue was with the side-lug intercooler mounts, the lugs on the intercooler protuded too far from the cooler, keeping it from sitting correctly in the core support. This is a well documented issue on these intercoolers. I cheated a bit by clearancing the core support instead of cutting down the intercooler. The rubber mounting brackets allowed for enough play for everything to fit together.

The other issue was unexpected and I haven't seen documented. The tabs that clip the top of the radiator into the intercooler were about 0.040" too thick to fit into the slots on the intercooler. I filed them down until they just barely fit through, then everything went together nicely.

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of these two issues, but the below should help explain.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Ran at US131 today, first time ever on a drag strip for me.

380 DA

13.33 sec @ 103.8 mph

Weighed in at 3510lb

Didn't quite keep up with the Hellcat in the right lane.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Hadn't posted this from my last run of the season at US131
I did cheat a little and remove the passenger / rear seats, but I'm pretty proud of getting into the 12s.

Some parts starting to roll in for work while it's in hibernation.

Bilstein B8s and Eibach kit E10-79-010-02-22

I have parts for a 312mm Brake Swap on order as well.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Some parts starting to roll in for work while it's in hibernation.

Bilstein B8s and Eibach kit E10-79-010-02-22

Are B8’s shipping again or did you have an order in waiting? Congrats on the 12s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Are B8’s shipping again or did you have an order in waiting? Congrats on the 12s.

Thanks Man! Not everywhere has them. Ordered them over the last couple weeks.
Originally ordered rears from THMotorsports as they were listed in stock, cancelled later due to no stock. ECS Had the rears in stock.

Fronts I bought on eBay from two different sellers.

Do you have any JB4 logs to share from your car?

My JB4 logs aren't very organized historically, but these are the latest I had running before I ran the 12.7 . Ran the 12.7 on the first run of the day, went downhill from there.