GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Busted AC Condenser at 6500 miles

Sebastian H

I don’t use the AC very much but couple of months ago it was very hot and I had to. Turn the AC on and it was blowing hot air. I said no big deal , car still under warranty , dealer will take care of it. Called to make an appointment, dealer , sorry , no loaner for two weeks. I couldn’t drive like that in 100+ degrees. Took the car in , dealer calls me and tells me that the AC condenser has damage from debris/stone and it’s not covered under warranty. The cost to fix it $1000. I asked the service advisor if they can install something to prevent future damage and he said no with a smirk on his face , telling me it won’t happen again. I mean , I’ve had the car for almost two years only driving on the weekend. This could happen again anytime. I think this is a design flow and VW should pay for it. The condenser is exposed , you could fit a two by four in there. I opted for a new car because I didn’t wanna have any headache and now this happened. Has anyone else had this kind of problem before. I found some complaints but not to many. I was thinking of taking it up to VW corporate. Any suggestions/recommendation ?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
If it was a design flaw it would be happening to everyone. It happens to the odd car every now and again just like screens getting chipped.

You could take the bumper off and put some thin mesh wire to protect it but you then are stopping air flow to the radiators and they need that to do their job.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
A friend of mine with a golf R also had his AC condenser also have damage that wasn't covered under warranty.
Though he was running an aftermarket intercooler, and the thought there was the intercooler screw caused damage, or something along those lines.

Sebastian H

I did notice that MK7 GTI’s have some kind of protection in the form of a honeycomb grill on the lower part of the bumper. And so does the 2018 R

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I had the exact same thing happen to me on a Hyundai, and it cost me $800 to replace, on a car that was debatably not worth it...

I noticed on my GSW that there is no protection in front of the condenser.

After getting the condenser replaced on my Hyundai, I zip-tied black plastic gutter mesh behind the bumper opening. It looked 100% like something that would have come stock (you could barely notice it anyway), and did not block wind flow to the radiator, but it gave me piece of mind.

I will probably do this on my GSW.

This is the stuff I used: https://www.truevalue.com/mesh-gutt...ft?ctplacement=501486-43411605579&cid=gooshop

Last edited:

Vdub_enthusiast

Ready to race!
Just happened to me 2 weeks ago....bought a new condenser for 90 bucks on rock auto and installing this weekend. Take to my buddies shop to recharge and boom [emoji95] ac again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vdub_enthusiast

Ready to race!
Install a new receiver/dryer?

Didn’t install anything yet. Waiting until the weekend....but no I didn’t order that with the condenser. Thought about it and I’m just gonna send it lol if need be I will. What do you think?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Didn’t install anything yet. Waiting until the weekend....but no I didn’t order that with the condenser. Thought about it and I’m just gonna send it lol if need be I will. What do you think?

When you have a leak and all the refrigerant leaks out, moisture gets into the system. If your existing desiccant is overwhelmed you should get a new one. Ask your buddy what he normally does.