ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Wow, I didn't expect the timing difference to be quite that much. 3-4 degrees is a lot, and about 1psi of boost.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
It's closer to 5 degrees after 5k RPM! The APR 87 tune is definitely not the right base tune to stack on top of if you want to run E fuel.

Our boost curves are very similar if we account for the altitude differences. It looks like APR just lowers the timing ceiling. It's probably the safest way of doing things and still making good power.

Wow, I didn't expect the timing difference to be quite that much. 3-4 degrees is a lot, and about 1psi of boost.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It's closer to 5 degrees after 5k RPM! The APR 87 tune is definitely not the right base tune to stack on top of if you want to run E fuel.

Our boost curves are very similar if we account for the altitude differences. It looks like APR just lowers the timing ceiling. It's probably the safest way of doing things and still making good power.

That timing is way off a stock curve. I guess they are covering their ass for cylinder pressure and the chance of detonation.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Anyone have issues with oil temp not showing up in Bluetooth app for
Jb4?
Have everything updated to latest version and nothing.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i too cant see oil temp... but i read thats not abnormal given what info is sent from the car's sensors to the JB4.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Do you have a log of your car with a totally stock setup?

This Was when I was just starting to learn the jb4. Probably had more boost left in it , but it shows what stock timing is for reference. every couple of degrees is easily 1+ psi of boost under power. So take that as you will. I also have some with downpipe and 3 gallons of ethanol that are in my logs. I haven't added anything to data zap in a long time
https://datazap.me/u/jcranwell/185t-165psi?log=0&data=1-4-5-6-11-14-18-19-25-26-27-28

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Very cool. I wish we could dyno our cars back to back and see which which works better. If we use your theory of 2 degrees is 1 psi of boost, our settings at around 5000 RPM are pretty similar if we convert your added timing in to "boost" numbers. At 5000 RPM we are both at around 20 PSI boost equivalent. I'm sure it's really shaky science, but interesting.

I'm going to kick it up another PSI after peak, and another few PSI near redline and see what happens.

This Was when I was just starting to learn the jb4. Probably had more boost left in it , but it shows what stock timing is for reference. every couple of degrees is easily 1+ psi of boost under power. So take that as you will. I also have some with downpipe and 3 gallons of ethanol that are in my logs. I haven't added anything to data zap in a long time
https://datazap.me/u/jcranwell/185t-165psi?log=0&data=1-4-5-6-11-14-18-19-25-26-27-28

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Very cool. I wish we could dyno our cars back to back and see which which works better. If we use your theory of 2 degrees is 1 psi of boost, our settings at around 5000 RPM are pretty similar if we convert your added timing in to "boost" numbers. At 5000 RPM we are both at around 20 PSI boost equivalent. I'm sure it's really shaky science, but interesting.

I'm going to kick it up another PSI after peak, and another few PSI near redline and see what happens.

I knew that when I ran the downpipe and ethanol, I was right around an APR stage 2 car or quicker. I ran a bunch of cars to see where I stood. Without the ethanol, the jb4 only is not at flash tune levels. Well it could be at Uni flash tune levels no problem. LOL