GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have experience with Powerstop pads/rotors?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Im looking to upgrade to the GTI 312mm brakes this winter and I was going to use Powerstop pads, specifically the Z16 pads, as well as rotors. Anyone have experience with using them? They seem to be well reviewed for other vehicles but i havent found any first hand accounts with the Mk7 platform...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
subsequent bump... based upon research, looking to go wit their blank rotors and Z23 pads...

TTU14

Sorry, no experience on MK7s, but I put a Z36 kit on my Ram before I sold it and it was great. Put another Z36 kit on my brothers Jeep, and a Z23 kit on my other brothers Maxima. Those two are still going strong. All three were an upgrade over stock, they're quiet and low dust.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
So I was just going to post my results with the Z26 pads for the fronts, $43 on rock auto and Z23 pads for the rear. Originally had to replace my OEM pads after frying them on a local short road course with heavy braking due to very tight turns, more like a glorified autox. I bought Porsche 986 calipers for the front but didn't have the funds to order the adapters and track specific pads for f/r as well as a daily rotor/pad combo.

So I ordered the Z26/Z23 pad combo 2 weeks ago as I had a track day this past Saturday, though knowing ahead of time that they aren't really a track pad by any means but just OE+ that are quiet and low on dust. For everyday driving it seems like they are great, I flushed my brake fluid with Motul 600 at the same time. They were quiet and produced way less dust in the 2 weeks, about 500 miles, than the OEM pads would've in 2 days. The bite was good and pedal felt great.

Not so much on the track. 2nd lap in, I already smelt brakes and got nervous as even my OEM pads didn't give out till last session. 3rd lap in, I had a very scary "oh shit" moment, the pedal dropped and there was a lot of fade/ no braking. It continued like that for the rest of the day, I wasn't thrilled, but it did force me to learn to brake less/harder and take the long sweepers at higher speeds, which was good for me. Still sucked ass when having to brake hard for tight hair pins, 180*'s and after the straight a way. When I got home, the front pads were destroyed. Un even wear, and chunks missing. The rear were actually not bad at all, a light sanding took off the metal transfer.

So in short, these Powerstops are good for a daily, spirited drive around some twisties. I wouldn't take them to a HPDE event, or any windy road that would have repeated/heavy braking consecutively.

Time to stash some funds over winter for the Apikol adapters, new 312mm rotors, and pads (which I haven't decided on yet). Looks like the rears are fine, so I wont bother getting bigger brakes there, was initially thinking PP rears. I have RS3 air ducts on the way, and will remove the dust shields on F/R and take it from there next season.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, I was literally going to make a post about this. Ill try and upload the front pad picks from my phone.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
Finally figured out to how to rescale images

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 505
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 511
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 484

drrck

Go Kart Champion
I've got the PP and run those for my DD pad, but I have been running DS2500 for my HPDE pad for the last 3 years. I recently went IS38 and may have to step up to real race pad as they are at the edge of their heat range as it is.

Those are surely not suited to track duty, the binder melted and that's when you lost all pedal feel. I'm sure you had plenty of streaking on your rotors.

As far as rotors go, I'm using cheap blanks from Rock Auto and they have been great.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
this is what I was looking to find out... if the powerstop z26 would stand up to a spirited afternoon drive...

not looking to go to autocross level but it would be nice to go closer to that level on the continuum than just regular DD pads...