GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires?

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3%2B+(W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated)&partnum=24YR8PSAS3PLXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

You should fit the tire to be 0.5" narrower than your wheel, for optimum handling performance. This pre-loads the sidewall and gives you better agility.

Too wide a tire will compromise steering feel and handling.

The 225/40-18 is a perfect fit for 18x8.5, as the reported Tread Width is 8.1".
This is ideal fitment, and will look perfect from the sides.

Match TireRack's tread width spec to be ~0,5" narrower than your wheel, if possible.

The car came with 225's on 7.5" wide rims... sidewalls are pretty square, no ballooning now. Dunno, would prefer some meat I suppose but I'll keep your suggestions for consideration.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Not to thread jack, but I'll be in the market for tires soon. Car came with cheap ass all seasons. Where I live, it never snows, rarely rains and the roads are pretty much perfect everywhere. I've got the suspension right where I want it and may go stage 2 at some point. The current tires are the weak link by some margin.

Whats a good performance street tire option for this car (taking into account the mods I've done) that's got a reasonable(ish) price? I'm new to both a fwd platform and not having to worry about weather / bad roads.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Not to thread jack, but I'll be in the market for tires soon. Car came with cheap ass all seasons. Where I live, it never snows, rarely rains and the roads are pretty much perfect everywhere. I've got the suspension right where I want it and may go stage 2 at some point. The current tires are the weak link by some margin.

Whats a good performance street tire option for this car (taking into account the mods I've done) that's got a reasonable(ish) price? I'm new to both a fwd platform and not having to worry about weather / bad roads.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Hands down one of the best summer tires out there. They should do very well in Las Vegas :cool:

If you are on a budget the older Pilot Super Sports are great as well (actually what I've been running on my car).
Another good budget option is the Continental extreme contact sport tires. They are in line with the PSS for traction

Last edited:

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
I just got a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and I absolutely love them. I do have a set of Blizzacks for winter. Unfortunately living in New England doesn't really allow for a summer tire but the Michelins are a good compromise for the other seasons.

gdub1

Go buy a Buick. Nice. My wife has a 2012 Nissan 370Z with the sport package. I can tell you that no other car (not truck) has more engine cabin noise then this Z. The car is fun to drive but the noise is beyond stupid. Sorry for the off topic.

tondraj

Go buy a Buick. Nice. My wife has a 2012 Nissan 370Z with the sport package. I can tell you that no other car (not truck) has more engine cabin noise then this Z. The car is fun to drive but the noise is beyond stupid. Sorry for the off topic.

Ha! This is so true - I sold my 2011 Z when I bought my '18 R and yes, the road noise is very real in that Z. The Golf R is nice and quiet relatively speaking. :cool:

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Replaced my conti extreme contact sports with a set of the A/S3+ in factory size, on factory nogaro wheels.

I'm happy with them for the most part. They feel a lot heavier, as they should because they are.

Acceleration from a stop, I actually get traction now. I assume because the new tires are a lot heavier and won't spin as easily....

But traction does seem good at stage2 for me.

Wet traction is also great in the Portland weather we have.

They do run wide like most Michelin tires. A little bit of bulge on the sidewall, but it's only noticeable next to other brands in 225 size.

We'll see how they hold up after getting my EQT Turbo in...

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Still cheaper on tirerack though.

For 245/40R18, they're both the same price before the $70 discount.

$759.98 for 4.

So after discount, Sam's Club $70 cheaper. $659.88.
You have to login to see discount.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Up to $100 rebate just started on Tire Rack for these guys, good from 11/14 - 12/14, so if you're considering pulling the trigger on new tires now may be a good time.

I'm considering picking these up but I can't decide if I want an AS or summer tire. Where I live it gets down to about 30 in the winter but we don't get snow. I want the performance of a summer tire but don't want to have to worry about any cracking for cold weather or grip issues on colder days. The GTI is my daily and only car, and I don't have the space for a summer/winter setup, so whatever tire I get will be the only thing I run.

For those who run summer tires all year round, have you had any issues related to cold weather?

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
You will have problems with summer tires in that degree range for sure.

I have the AS3+ and on previous cars always had summer tires and the AS3+ are tough to break loose. They’re a virtual summer tire.

My strong recommendation is for the all season AS3+ and that comes from experience.