GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me choose!

Engineer90

Ready to race!
I finally did it, I dropped my GTI on APR springs and I love the results! However I wanna get new shoes. I've never been fond of the Austins that come stock. But because of NJ roads, I bent one (got it fixed) and got another one that's a little bent you can feel it in high speeds. I either wanna keep 18" wheels or go with 17" and get bigger sidewall tires. After researching thoroughly in VWVortex and GolfMK7, seems likes 245/40/18 and 18x8.5 et45 wheels with screw mod doesn't rub with VWR springs (1" drop). Perfect fit. My GTI is a 2-door carbon steel gray.

These are the combos I would like to do:

18"
Neuspeed RSE10 18x8.5 et 45 bronze
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-neuspee...dnUjaQ3XrQ3KVI5-YKuWEu2a4YX03FvQaApReEALw_wcB

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 245/40/18
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...8DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

17"
MSW Type 85 17x8 et45 (get them painted the same matte bronze as the Neuspeeds)
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...GTI+2-Door&autoYear=2016&autoModClar=Standard

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 245/45/17
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...7DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Engineer90

Ready to race!
I like both of those wheels honestly.

If you live in an area with shitty roads I'd avoid DWS tires. They are notorious for having soft sidewalls. Go with something stiffer unless you like damaging wheels all the time.

Same those two wheels are beautiful! I love the bronze wheels.

What other tire has stiffer sidewall with the same performance? I like the DWS06 because I had them in my old car and now my wife has those tires and are pretty good in snow and rain. And they are comfortable no bubbles in hard hits yet.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Neuspeed. I can't stand wagon wheel style wheels. Look like crap on a truck and worse on a car. Looked great 100 years ago but you had no choice.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Neuspeed and Michelin A/S 3+ in 225/40

225/40 has a tread width of 8.1", which is perfect fitment on 18x8.5" wheels.

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
My DWS 06 (which are different tires than the old DWS) were fine for over 40k driving on the worst rated roads in the country, so YMMV when it comes to them having a soft side walls. I have them mounted on pretty cheap rims and no bends or cracks. Only one screw in all that time as well.

The Michelin A/S 3+ are great and rated slightly above the DWS 06. Like most or all AS tires, they do not perform as well as winter tires in the snow, but are still really good.

Last edited:

Engineer90

Ready to race!
The Michelin A/S 3+ are great and rated slightly above the DWS. Like most or all AS tires, they do not perform as well as winter tires in the snow, but are still really good.

The DWS06, imo do ok in snow. I have the crappy OEM Potenzas on my GTI and they do horrible in the snow and even light rain. The DWS06s on my wife's car got her home from work safely and no slipping when there was about 8" of snow on the ground. Obviously they are not winter tires, but will do ok. It doesn't snow enough here in NJ to justify buying a separate winter set. That's why I want something that will perform like the DWS06

Last edited:

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I'd go with 245, fits perfect and not rubbing when dropped 1" and screw mod from what I read

"Perfect" fit is a tire that is 0.5" narrower than the wheel.

Michelin A/S 3+:
The 245/40 is 8.3" , the 235/40 is 8.2" across, and the 225/40 is 8.1" across.

225/40 is the better fit here for 18x8.5, with a mild stretch that optimizes handling and performance.

My Continental DW Sports are 7.6" across on a 18x8" wheel, and it definitely looks and feels "perfect" in terms of agility, handling, and aesthetic.

Engineer90

Ready to race!
"Perfect" fit is a tire that is 0.5" narrower than the wheel.

Michelin A/S 3+:
The 245/40 is 8.3" , the 235/40 is 8.2" across, and the 225/40 is 8.1" across.

225/40 is the better fit here for 18x8.5, with a mild stretch that optimizes handling and performance.

My Continental DW Sports are 7.6" across on a 18x8" wheel, and it definitely looks and feels "perfect" in terms of agility, handling, and aesthetic.

Oh yeah I fully agree with you, “perfect” for handling is what you described. However, aesthetically, I disagree. The OEM 225/40 and 7.5 wheel is a little too stretched imo, even though it’s not a lot of stretch.

The 245/40 is aesthetically better and definitely more sidewall than the 225/40, but the 245/45 is more practical for the crappy NJ roads. Those 18” RSE10s in bronze are perfection tho...

btw, I was looking at the Michelins, the AS3+ got real good reviews. Even better than the DWS06. I might be steering that way now

Damn, everything is a tough choice with wheel and tire combo

Last edited:

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Oh yeah I fully agree with you, “perfect” for handling is what you described. However, aesthetically, I disagree. The OEM 225/40 and 7.5 wheel is a little too stretched imo, even though it’s not a lot of stretch.

The 245/40 is aesthetically better and definitely more sidewall than the 225/40, but the 245/45 is more practical for the crappy NJ roads. Those 18” RSE10s in bronze are perfection tho...

btw, I was looking at the Michelins, the AS3+ got real good reviews. Even better than the DWS06. I might be steering that way now

Damn, everything is a tough choice with wheel and tire combo

Hm. I had 235/40/18 on 18x8 and it seemed pretty meaty but flush. I guess it depends on the tiremaker. I know the width varies by brand