GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k mile DSG flush

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
$400 is on the high side I'd say.

On average it should be around $350, though I paid $288 at the dealer.

Depends on the area honestly. Dealers out in florida do it cheap as hell, while dealers in chicago are trying to charge 5-600 for it. Insane mark up for what it is.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Nah, it's human nature to complain.

If you want to deal with a particular dealership you trust, not in the OP's case since he left his dash cam running, you need to be willing to pay what they charge.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Time-wise it seems about right. Shops have the tools and experience to do it quickly. Last one I did took just under 2 hours start to finish and that was R/R battery and tray for top fill method. Paid ~$175 for fluid and filter, so $400 a bit on the high side IMO.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Time-wise it seems about right. Shops have the tools and experience to do it quickly. Last one I did took just under 2 hours start to finish and that was R/R battery and tray for top fill method. Paid ~$175 for fluid and filter, so $400 a bit on the high side IMO.

Don't you need to R&R the battery and tray to get to the filter anyway?

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
5 quarts of Amsoil DCT fluis was around $90 when I did mine, filter was like $20-25 if I remember correctly.

Uh, it's highly recommended to use Pentosin fluid as it's OE.

Even Liqui Moly isn't 100% recommended by certain VW techs.

Scamsoil is asking for trouble here, IMO.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Don't you need to R&R the battery and tray to get to the filter anyway?

Yes. Was trying to give an idea of what comes apart and the time it takes, rather than just a simple drop fluid and spin in a filter scenario.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
R&I*

And yes you do.

R&R is the correct term in the industry. Remove and Reinstall. You aren't installing a new battery and tray, but rather reinstalling the parts you removed. At least for the West Coast. Every tech I have met from the Midwest and East coast through training classes, and a conference in DC, call it R&R as well though.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
R&R is the correct term in the industry. Remove and Reinstall. You aren't installing a new battery and tray, but rather reinstalling the parts you removed. At least for the West Coast. Every tech I have met from the Midwest and East coast through training classes, and a conference in DC, call it R&R as well though.

Estimating systems call R&I Remove and Install(Reusing the old part), R&R is Remove and Replace (If the part is bad and you're putting a new part on). But what do I know, been on both the tech and adjusting side for 15+ years.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Estimating systems call R&I Remove and Install(Reusing the old part), R&R is Remove and Replace (If the part is bad and you're putting a new part on). But what do I know, been on both the tech and adjusting side for 15+ years.

Never met someone with an estimating system for mechanical repairs, that's pretty cool. Oh wait adjusting, yeah I'm sure insurance companies have that, dealerships as well I assume. My labor estimating site calls everything R&R. When it calls for R&I, they call it remove and inspect... So looks like its all tomatoes and potatoes in the end. You were the first person I've seen to use the term here, while everyone else uses R&R. Just seems a strange semantic thing to correct.

Last edited:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I have an appointment next Friday to get the DSG service done on my GSW TDI, as well as Phase 2 of the DieselGate fix.

$310 at Smith VW in Delaware, and they're a legit shop that doesn't F up or pull shenanigans. I drive past a closer VW dealer to go to them.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Never met someone with an estimating system for mechanical repairs, that's pretty cool. Oh wait adjusting, yeah I'm sure insurance companies have that, dealerships as well I assume. My labor estimating site calls everything R&R. When it calls for R&I, they call it remove and inspect... So looks like its all tomatoes and potatoes in the end. You were the first person I've seen to use the term here, while everyone else uses R&R. Just seems a strange semantic thing to correct.
I think you just like arguing with people because you're bored. As seen from your other posts, rather intolerant...even when you're wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm thinking semantics too, at least when talking car parts. According to Bing they're interchangeable for that purpose.

re·place
[rəˈplās]

VERB
take the place of.
"Ian's smile was replaced by a frown"
provide or find a substitute for (something that is broken, old, or inoperative).
"the light bulb needs replacing"
synonyms:
substitute · exchange · change · give in place of · [more]
fill the role of (someone or something) with a substitute.
"the government dismissed 3,000 of its customs inspectors, replacing them with new recruits"
synonyms:
take the place of · succeed · be a replacement for · [more]
put (something) back in a previous place or position.
"he drained his glass and replaced it on the bar"
synonyms:
put back · return · return to its place · restore

in·stall
[inˈstôl]

VERB
place or fix (equipment or machinery) in position ready for use.
"we're planning to install a new shower"
synonyms:
put · position · place · put in place · set in place · fix · fit · locate · [more]
load (software) into a computer.
"you may want to install a new version of the program"
place (someone) in a new position of authority, especially with ceremony.
"he was installed as music director at the Cathedral of St. Barbara in Cracow"
synonyms:
swear in · induct · instate · inaugurate · invest · institute · introduce · [more]
establish (someone) in a new place, condition, or role.
"Ashley installed herself behind her table"
synonyms:
ensconce · establish · position · settle · seat · lodge · plant · [more]