GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI 0w40 or 5w40 ?

mk8

Debating if i should use 0w40 or 5w40... Here are my top two choice after all the reading from this forum.

1.castrol edge professional 0w40
2.liqui moly 5w40

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
has to state "approved to VW 502 00"...doesn't matter the "w" rating....thats just a secondary personal choice....

"0w" is better if you park car outside in freezing cold winters...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Castrol website states Edge is premium fully synthetic, for CRZA engines they recommend
Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4

That because over here we are on the flexible service which requires a different spec oil..to VW 504 00..

if you are fixed service you require oil to VW spec 502 00....it has been this way for the last 16yrs at least...

you can alter at any time from flexible to fixed...just VW designated certain countries as one or other depending on fuel quality, climatic conditions etc...

I have altered mine from flexible VW504 00 approved oil at 5w30 ...to VW502 00 fixed service approved oil at 0w40 ...& both are Castrol edge & recommended for my engine...

Patagonian

Passed Driver's Ed
That because over here we are on the flexible service which requires a different spec oil..to VW 504 00..

if you are fixed service you require oil to VW spec 502 00....it has been this way for the last 16yrs at least...

you can alter at any time from flexible to fixed...just VW designated certain countries as one or other depending on fuel quality, climatic conditions etc...

I have altered mine from flexible VW504 00 approved oil at 5w30 ...to VW502 00 fixed service approved oil at 0w40 ...& both are Castrol edge & recommended for my engine...

I deliberately used the US Castrol site because us Brits are in the minority on this forum ?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I deliberately used the US Castrol site because us Brits are in the minority on this forum ��

& you didn't read & understand the Castrol website...

for all engine versions of the MK7 Golf listed on the USA site they recommend three different oil types...

The list is down the left side under the heading "recommended engine oils".

Edge 0w30 A3/B4 (VW approved to 502 00 & 505 00)
Edge 0w40 A3/B4 (VW approved to 502 00 & 505 00)
Edge 5w30 C3 (VW approved to 502 00 & 505 00 & 505 01)

Just because the top of the list oil is shown, does not mean that's the only recommendation...

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the ecological disaster in our Gulf, bro.

Not just BP's fault..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

""Numerous investigations explored the causes of the explosion and record-setting spill. The U.S. government September 2011 report pointed to defective cement on the well, faulting mostly BP, but also rig operator Transocean and contractor Halliburton.[22][23] Earlier in 2011, a White House commission likewise blamed BP and its partners for a series of cost-cutting decisions and an inadequate safety system, but also concluded that the spill resulted from "systemic" root causes and "absent significant reform in both industry practices and government policies, might well recur".[24] """

Mind you your lot are fracking your counties land to pieces & polluting your own drinking water etc....& unfortunately the energy companies driven by "your" ideas are over here trying to do the same...You country pollutes a huge amount more than we do...those pickup etc ..Christ if you lot had to pay our pump prices for petrol & diesel you would have a civil war...the right to burn fuel with impunity...

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...:cool:

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I just throw in Mobil1 0w-40 "European Formula" from Costco. 25 bucks for 6 quarts, works fine for me.