GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner here, oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Actually Blackstone told me I can go to 15k miles per oil change.. I've ran amsoil in 3 cars and did only 1 year 25k changes all those cars went 250,000 to 300,000 miles with no engine issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

knollMk7

Ready to race!
I was informed at some time in the past, that there is no documented example of an engine failing due to not changing the oil at any mileage.

Engine failure due to sludge, or not maintaining proper oil level, or some kind of blockage (like a clogged filter) yes, but just failure to change oil, no.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
um....owner's manual?

10K or 1 year, whichever comes first.

10K is perfectly fine. Really.

Can you just make an account called "Owners manual" and make all your posts "<---" haha. I'll do the same but make my username "use the search function".

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
I was informed at some time in the past, that there is no documented example of an engine failing due to not changing the oil at any mileage.

Engine failure due to sludge, or not maintaining proper oil level, or some kind of blockage (like a clogged filter) yes, but just failure to change oil, no.

Uhh, well, oil sludges if you don't change it at a normal interval so.....

I change mine every 7k, usually with Castrol or M1. I do it myself, an oil change costs me under $30 that way, and I actually enjoy doing it so, ehh. My car doesn't burn a drop of oil and I check it regularly. With these cars, it's so easy to change the oil with the filter on top and nothing covered by an undertray, it's actually more time effective for me to do it myself than have someone else do it for me.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Op do whatever you want. You can go to 10k without issues but if it makes you more comfortable then do it at 6k or 4k or 1k it doesnt matter. I do mine at 7 or 8k usually. In my other car that uses conventional i always do it at 3500 even though the bottle says I can go 8k

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

But sludge can result from not changing the oil. I personally seen a new car where the camshaft lobes were gone. It had right around 30,000 miles. Dealer wouldn't cover it so she had my friend replace it. A woman owned it who didn't know any better. I happened to be at his shop that day and he showed it to me.

TroyI

Ready to race!
I can't believe people actually wait until 10K to change oil.
You don't need to shower every day, but we do b/c it keeps you fine tuned.... Change the oil every 5K. It's SOOO friggin' easy to do in the garage.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
Uhh, well, oil sludges if you don't change it at a normal interval so.....

I change mine every 7k, usually with Castrol or M1. I do it myself, an oil change costs me under $30 that way, and I actually enjoy doing it so, ehh. My car doesn't burn a drop of oil and I check it regularly. With these cars, it's so easy to change the oil with the filter on top and nothing covered by an undertray, it's actually more time effective for me to do it myself than have someone else do it for me.

Agreed.

OP: here is the rundown of your OCI options (other than mileage, 1 year is the maximum duration if mileage isn't met):

1. 10,000 miles: "By the book" per VWoA schedule and maximum OCI to maintain powertrain warranty.
  2. 5-7,500 miles: A lot of people here fall in this category. Semi-conservative, but you're not hurting anything by doing it a bit early.
  3. 3,000 miles: Old habits die hard, huh? Some will consider it wasteful (time, money, environment), but who are we to judge? It's your car...
  4. >10,000 miles: You are out of warranty and have done a UOA and have been advised you can go longer and you feel comfortable doing so.
  5. <3,000 miles: Who hurt you? :p

robmarktoo

Ready to race!

Well that is just ridiculous. How do you think all the things you just described happen? BY NOT CHANGING THE OIL!

Status
Not open for further replies.