GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Feeling sick from new car smell (2018 GTI SE)

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Can you describe the smell a bit?

Hard to describe but its just typical break-in smell. If i had to describe it, it would be a combination of plastics/rubber/metals heating up. The smell is lessening now but still present even after 4k miles.

sar316

Passed Driver's Ed
Carbon monoxide? Unlikely... but for both of you to get headaches, that's really strange. I've had mine for 2 months and the new car/leather smell is wonderful. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
relax...not like the Germans have any history

although I think it smells I doubt it is real harmfull

You just won the Internet today. LOL

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
The "new car smell" is actually slightly toxic. It's the breakdown of materials used in the interior like plastics and leather or pretty much everything inside any car. That being said, it is a pleasant smell to me and I didn't have any problems with my 2017 GTI SE. Hell I miss the smell.

Mk7gtifl

Ready to race!
I bought a new Elantra Sport for my wife and bought a bottle of Ozium New Car Scent and sprayed every night to take out the new car smell, it really made sense ?

bionicfemur

I’m glad to see a post about this. I just hit 2k miles and have noticed the same thing. Slight burning/chemically smell after a few minutes of warmup. If I use circulate it isn’t nearly as bad. It’s made me feel sick more than once and my wife’s commented on it too.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Even dust stinks when it gets hot.

As for the interior, leave the windows open if you can without making it stink worse. The air is clean where I live (now), but if I leave the windows down, even in the garage, I'm sure to get all kinds of critters. Everything from small and large spiders to lizards and snakes. Even if I leave the windows up I get an occasional spider that manages to sneak in.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I’m glad to see a post about this. I just hit 2k miles and have noticed the same thing. Slight burning/chemically smell after a few minutes of warmup. If I use circulate it isn’t nearly as bad. It’s made me feel sick more than once and my wife’s commented on it too.

Your re-circ comment is consistent with my earlier suggestion.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Unless you AND your wife are hyperallergic I would doubt it’s normal outgassing of plastics, leather, etc. aka ‘new car smell’. Let the dealer take a look and diagnose.

Reboot

Passed Driver's Ed
Just enjoy the toxic fumes it's only temporary and once it's gone its gone forever and you'll miss it. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But on a serious note if you and your wife are that sensitive you might consider allergy testing to find your triggers and never build a new house because if you think the new car smell is toxic both of you might pass out.