GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Oil catch for mk7.5 R?

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
I’ve been looking for a catch can this will work on my 2018 Golf R. I wanted the VMR oil catch can, but ECS says it won’t work on my R. I also have my window washer fluid in the spot where the catch can would go. Any recommendations?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve been looking for a catch can this will work on my 2018 Golf R. I wanted the VMR oil catch can, but ECS says it won’t work on my R. I also have my window washer fluid in the spot where the catch can would go. Any recommendations?

I would suggest spending the money elsewhere, unless you intend to aggressively track the car at catch can is a waste of money

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
I would suggest spending the money elsewhere, unless you intend to aggressively track the car at catch can is a waste of money

I don’t think a catch can is a waste at all. I do like to drive spiritedly from time to time. I have a catch can on all my cars and they all work and collect oil.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I don’t think a catch can is a waste at all. I do like to drive spiritedly from time to time. I have a catch can on all my cars and they all work and collect oil.

Not with the redesign of the EA888 Gen. 3 PCV system they don't. Spiritedly is far from tracking the car. All PCV systems work and are designed differently. Depending on your other cars they might have terrible factory designed systems and a catch can is actually useful.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Not with the redesign of the EA888 Gen. 3 PCV system they don't. Spiritedly is far from tracking the car.

Well yeah spirited is different than tracking. I will take it to the track eventually. I just know from previous experiences with a catch can they do work.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Well yeah spirited is different than tracking. I will take it to the track eventually. I just know from previous experiences with a catch can they do work.

On different engines. This is not those engines. I'm sure much older engines is your experience. Or BMW engines, those have terrible PCV systems.

Edit: first link on google USP Golf R Catch Can Requires washer fluid res delete, which I guess answers your question.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
On different engines. This is not those engines. I'm sure much older engines is your experience. Or BMW engines, those have terrible PCV systems.

Edit: first link on google USP Golf R Catch Can Requires washer fluid res delete, which I guess answers your question.

That didn’t pop up as my first search lol. That looks like a good kit.
I’ve seen videos on YouTube of people with mk7 R’s and GTI’s and their catch can collects oil. They don’t even track their car or at least not often. The catch cans for these cars a lot more expensive than the ones I’ve bought before haha

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Most of the video's I've seen show no oil, even after 10k miles of hard driving. Some people on youtube will simply dump oil in the can before filming (the magic of editing) to make it seem like their purchase was worth it.

If you aren't burning oil, there is no issue a catch can will help. If you are burning oil, there is likely another issue and a catch can simply masks that issue. I personally would spend the money on something to give you an actual performance boost.

All that said it is your car, so if you do buy one feel free to post your experience.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve had catch cans on prior cars as well, my lack of explanation as to why it’s not a good use of funds for the mk7 have been covered for the most part.

2015 ford focus se hatchback 0 60

Regardless of IF a mk7 catch can captures some oil or not you will without a doubt still have carbon deposits on the intake valves.

Spray W/M, drive at redline constantly, add a catch can or five. Regardless you will still get carbon build up, which would be a selling point for any of those things if it actually worked, but it doesn’t.

Just a side effect of DI engines, which yes have come a long way, but not enough to stop the dreaded build up

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Most of the video's I've seen show no oil, even after 10k miles of hard driving. Some people on youtube will simply dump oil in the can before filming (the magic of editing) to make it seem like their purchase was worth it.

If you aren't burning oil, there is no issue a catch can will help. If you are burning oil, there is likely another issue and a catch can simply masks that issue. I personally would spend the money on something to give you an actual performance boost.

All that said it is your car, so if you do buy one feel free to post your experience.

Most likely will get one and see how it goes. Still have some performance mods on the way

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
I’ve had catch cans on prior cars as well, my lack of explanation as to why it’s not a good use of funds for the mk7 have been covered for the most part.

2015 ford focus se hatchback 0 60

Regardless of IF a mk7 catch can captures some oil or not you will without a doubt still have carbon deposits on the intake valves.

Spray W/M, drive at redline constantly, add a catch can or five. Regardless you will still get carbon build up, which would be a selling point for any of those things if it actually worked, but it doesn’t.

Just a side effect of DI engines, which yes have come a long way, but not enough to stop the dreaded build up

Yeah, it won’t completely stop the build up of carbon, but it does help reduce it. The cost is just a lot of money. That’s the only factor that would have me holding off on one lol

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Mishimoto Testing

"After over a 1000 miles of testing, our can was basically bone dry, with only the smell of oil and fuel vapor present. The last thing we want to do is create a product for you that doesn't provide any benefit. The MK7 has a very efficient system on its own, and we tip our hats off to Volkswagen for their design."

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Mishimoto Testing

"After over a 1000 miles of testing, our can was basically bone dry, with only the smell of oil and fuel vapor present. The last thing we want to do is create a product for you that doesn't provide any benefit. The MK7 has a very efficient system on its own, and we tip our hats off to Volkswagen for their design."

Great link. I think the appeal of a catch can is engine bay bling and to be able to say "I have a catch can so I'm with the other turbo guys now". Our cars are great without a catch can so +1 on all who are saying the money is better spent elsewhere. Keep in mind ECS (and most others) makes useless and overpriced products all the time because they know people will buy them. Mishimoto has a great reputation in the tuner communities.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
You can literally use a $30 eBay catch can. The fittings, lines, baffle material and mounting location are more important.
I've ordered gas oil AN lines to use a catch can I had from previous car.
Mounting it low off the passenger side engine mount. Strictly to reduce EGR carbon

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!

There's a thread on here somewhere of Mitsumoto's efforts to design a catch-can for the MK7, and finding that it's entirely pointless.