GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top tier fuel a cleaning additives

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The other difference is non-top tier stations may not move as much fuel, meaning moisture and varnish and poorer quality stock, which results is poor engine performance in the short term and potential problems in the long term.

There are no mom and pop stations that don't move volumes of fuel these days. They can't survive due to the supply costs of running a gas station. If someone isn't buying your gas you are out of business pretty quick. So old stock isn't an issue.

Also moisture and supposed contamination is filtered out before it hits your tank by multi million dollar devices installed in all gas stations. If old fuel was as widespread enough to make a difference between "Top Tier" and "normal" gas it would make the news and that hasn't been the case.

Top tier is nothing more than paying into a consortium just to get a marketing badge to make your fuel seem better than the rest.

Please don't quote Consumer (paid off by big business) reports they are not credible.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
This has been posted a dozen times, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaBngvsPrc

Notice the difference in BP premium and Shell premium?

Wonder why that is....

Let's not also forget a decade or two ago, BMW was replacing engines at 30k due to the crappy sulphuric fuel eating away at cylinder wall linings.

European fuel tests do not translate to USA fuel tests. They use different formulations than we do so this test has nothing to do with the talk at hand.

Also fuel has changed in the past decade or two. We didn't have as much corn and water as we do now.

Again show me facts and show me what additives that Top Tier fuel has that another fuel doesn't. I need percentages and parts per million of these additives. How much goes into one gallon.

I need facts and figures because right now Top Tier is just a paid endorsement.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
European fuel tests do not translate to USA fuel tests. They use different formulations than we do so this test has nothing to do with the talk at hand.

Also fuel has changed in the past decade or two. We didn't have as much corn and water as we do now.

Again show me facts and show me what additives that Top Tier fuel has that another fuel doesn't. I need percentages and parts per million of these additives. How much goes into one gallon.

I need facts and figures because right now Top Tier is just a paid endorsement.

You're asking for company IP, which you won't find.

Not so much different formulations, as the base product (petrol) has slightly less sulphur.
The add packs are going to be virtually the same, aside from slight changes to account to emissions.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Not so much different formulations, as the base product (petrol) has slightly less sulphur.
The add packs are going to be virtually the same, aside from slight changes to account to emissions.

It can't be than much different and be as different as you just said. It's either they use the same gas as us, which they don't and won't, or it's completely different, which it is.

Euro fuel test don't count.

As for the additives there's nothing proprietary about fuel additives. If an independent lab can test them they can formulate the additives and percentages. But like has been said before, not just be me, there is no lab results to back up the paid endorsement of "Top Tier".

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
It can't be than much different and be as different as you just said. It's either they use the same gas as us, which they don't and won't, or it's completely different, which it is.

Euro fuel test don't count.

As for the additives there's nothing proprietary about fuel additives. If an independent lab can test them they can formulate the additives and percentages. But like has been said before, not just be me, there is no lab results to back up the paid endorsement of "Top Tier".

You and I are both speculating.

If you want to shit on everything, write to Shell and ask yourself.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use Shell/Exxon 93 and you can stick with NoName 87.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGBBY5-bves

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

You're asking people to do the work for you. Can you show me facts, percentages, and parts per million to show that the gas is the same? I understand that you are coming in on the opposite side of the argument, but that doesn't mean you can't attempt to find data supporting your side and just spit objections.

As I mentioned earlier, I buy Top Tier because it's close to home and priced to match neighboring stations, so why not?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
So when I point out you are wrong I'm shitting on everything. Nice theory.

Volks - I think the best thing for you to do at this point is supply us with studies proving that top tier gas is bogus. That will definitely shut everyone up.

There are plenty of links explaining how beneficial it is - so prove everyone wrong by posting proof that it's bullshit, and I'm sure everyone will thank you for setting them straight.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Again, those railing against top tier fuels are clueless. Did anyone actually read the link posted back a few pages?

This:

This (top tier) gasoline meets the detergent standards
developed by seven automotive companies. All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" (LAC). LAC is also known as the minimum detergent treat rate, recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the United States and in Canada, the Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB). Those vehicles that have experienced engine deposit related concerns may especially benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

General Motors, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Audi and Mercedes-Benz developed the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards and support the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline by recommending it in their vehicle Owner Manuals. All seven corporations recognize the benefits to the vehicle, the environment, and the consumer.

So tell me again how the oil companies are marketing snake oil?

Also, everyone is free to use whatever fuel they like, based on facts or fantasy. If you follow other recommendations in your owner's manual, I don't see why this manufacturer recommendation should be ignored.

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
All big name stations replace their filters on a regular basis.

Baloney. There's a Shell station around here that flows like molasses. A Chevron station near where I used to live with the same problem. They are both independently-owned franchises who happen to sell "big name" brands. Nobody at Shell or Chevron is policing how often these nimrods are changing filters.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
So when I point out you are wrong I'm shitting on everything. Nice theory.

No, but I don't really like nitwits with an acerbic tone who think everything in life is a scam when it comes to basic things.

Write to the oil companies yourself and find out that their secret sauce is little more than salt & pepper.

But let's go with your theory that Shell/Exxon/BP/etc. have fuels that only work in certain markets and can't be used else where.
I'm sure their stockholders appreciate that they spent millions on products they can only sell in specific locales.

cezar

Passed Driver's Ed
ITT a bunch of folks who don't know what EGR is.

Do y'all actually know anything about cars?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
ITT a bunch of folks who don't know what EGR is.

Do y'all actually know anything about cars?

Exhaust Gas Recirculation? What does that have to do with fuel cleaning addititves?

Last edited: