GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Yes. Two paragraphs discussed this in detail; from article:

"My first decision was “hacked” or “non-hacked”. I am performing the conversion to a 2015 SE, so I have the Fender system with the MIB1 amplifier under the seat. Since cost was a primary driver and I was unable to get MIB2 Infotainment headunit to work with MIB1 Amplifier, I reached out to companies that modify head units, requesting if I could send my MIB2 unit for conversion and tweak to work with MIB1 amp as a vendor stated they could do this in the first article referenced. I received three responses, all saying they only supply Navigation units. So I needed to go the non-hacked method, bite the bullet and buy an MIB2 amplifier and the key to add Carplay.

Costs: If you have a non-Fender system you can go MIB2 with larger screen and faster unit for approximately $400 plus cost for component protection (CP) removal. If you want App-Connect for CarPlay or Android then add $240 so you are at $640 plus CP removal. If you have the Fender System add another $380 for amplifier. I shopped it and with the Fender system my total parts cost was $870. However, still significantly cheaper than a hacked unit which is approximately $1,450 for head unit alone."

Additionally, you will get improved audio performance as discussed here:
MIB2 Amplifier Impressions (Pertains to Fender system only): I was quite pleased with the audio performance of the MIB1 amplifier used in the Fender System. With the MIB2 amplifier I immediately noticing some audio improvements particularly in the low end tightness. Everything seemed less muddied; still not perfect, but it is car audio and it is an improvement.

Apologies, I will admit to being lazy and only reading the first page... well that crushed my dreams of MIB2 for now, still too damn expensive just for app connect

zvonexp

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed Discovery Pro MIB2, cp removed, everything activated.. everything working ok except apple car play probably some coding with usb's..

USB with music working properly

When i plug iphone on iphone i see charging and it stops.. and like that in loop

On Media - Sources i have 2 USBs.. but i have only one installed

I installed new usb module which one we need for mirrorlink etc

Also coded and put usb and iphone functionality but still doesn't work

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Installed Discovery Pro MIB2, cp removed, everything activated.. everything working ok except apple car play probably some coding with usb's..

USB with music working properly

When i plug iphone on iphone i see charging and it stops.. and like that in loop

On Media - Sources i have 2 USBs.. but i have only one installed

I installed new usb module which one we need for mirrorlink etc

Also coded and put usb and iphone functionality but still doesn't work
Try various lightening cables. If you can, try a different iPhone. I had issues on the Android side with the phone I was using. I tried a different phone and it started to work, so there was something going on with my phone and nothing was wrong with the infotainment.

Sent from my XT1806 using Tapatalk

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Yeah, bought lighting cable for 2 dolars and working properly :d
I'm glad to hear. It seems Android auto/Carplay is very sensitive to the quality of the cable. On the Android side, the shorter the cable, the better.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

pwrbkdude

Jack just did my software reprogram and I now have CarPlay on my 2015 Golf R!

I purchased an MIB2 out of a 2016 Golf R - the brain, the display, the amp, and the usb connector - had the dealer remove CP (tho I think Jack could have done it for less) and then Jack did the software configuration. I am very happy!

amdaman

Hi

Great thread thanks.

I'm in New Zealand and I'm looking to upgrade my 5.8" Mib1 to MIB2.

I've already purchased the 8.0" screen and the fascia but before I purchase the Head unit I'd like to ask a few questions :

1. Can I get any mib2 unit if I've saved and noted the current mib1 settings in vdcs? There are so many different variants for mib2 some are cheap and some are more expensive on ebay.

2. If my car already has navigation when I get the dealer to remove CP will I still have navigation after without having to buy a FeC for navigation?

3. Will the dealer update my maps of I buy an overseas MIB2? Otherwise what is the process for this? I have seen official vw sd cards with European maps on for cheap. Do I just download the Australian and NZ version on there and use that or is it a dealer job?

The "hacked" units seem like the easiest of toon but the unit alone is $1.5k for one of these.

Thanks in advance

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Jack just did my software reprogram and I now have CarPlay on my 2015 Golf R!

I purchased an MIB2 out of a 2016 Golf R - the brain, the display, the amp, and the usb connector - had the dealer remove CP (tho I think Jack could have done it for less) and then Jack did the software configuration. I am very happy!

Congratulations! It is great when a plan works out.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Hi

Great thread thanks.

I'm in New Zealand and I'm looking to upgrade my 5.8" Mib1 to MIB2.

I've already purchased the 8.0" screen and the fascia but before I purchase the Head unit I'd like to ask a few questions :

1. Can I get any mib2 unit if I've saved and noted the current mib1 settings in vdcs? There are so many different variants for mib2 some are cheap and some are more expensive on ebay.

2. If my car already has navigation when I get the dealer to remove CP will I still have navigation after without having to buy a FeC for navigation?

3. Will the dealer update my maps of I buy an overseas MIB2? Otherwise what is the process for this? I have seen official vw sd cards with European maps on for cheap. Do I just download the Australian and NZ version on there and use that or is it a dealer job?

The "hacked" units seem like the easiest of toon but the unit alone is $1.5k for one of these.

Thanks in advance

I believe there is some information in this thread where there were compatibility problems with other head units. I can only verify that going from MIB1 5G0035844 with MIB2 3Q0035844 worked. You did not mention the part number of your current headunit.

I am hesitant to answer your second question as I don't know. There have been threads concerning problems putting in Navigation in 2015. Not sure if that is a North America thing or not. I thought there was something concerning is this thread.https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30577 That said, the FeC associated with your car's VIN have been paid for when you purchased car and my understanding is is can be put in again. Similar to if your headunit broke and was replaced the existing FeC would be reinstalled.

Maybe someone else can chime in on maps. There should be some threads concerning.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey, Does the MIB unit you bought ( 3Q0035844 ) have Apple Carplay and Android Auto?
Or maybe its possible to activate it on all MIB 2s?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
You can purchase an AppConnect FeC key + pin from your VW dealer and have it installed, assuming it's legitimate hardware.
Is it possible to purchase it from a dealer? and what about Driving modes? I was told the only way to get the Key is to purchase a kit online, the dealers cant give me Key.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Is it possible to purchase it from a dealer? and what about Driving modes? I was told the only way to get the Key is to purchase a kit online, the dealers cant give me Key.

You need 5G0054809 for the driving modes FeC, and 5G0054830A for AppConnect.

Your VW Parts Department should be able to order them for you.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
You need 5G0054809 for the driving modes FeC, and 5G0054830A for AppConnect.

Your VW Parts Department should be able to order them for you.
Oh so it is not possible to install a switch, wiring and just go to the dealers to activate? it has to come as a kit? guess i have to go to the Dealers Again[emoji849]