GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Transmission Shifting Issue

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Not to be a pain here, but ... I mean ... I am kind of a noob here and I am afraid to touch things I dont know things about. What are the pros / cons of removing this thing. Maybe it's worth it for me just to leave it as is? lol.

Pros are more direct engagement of the clutch which will prolong the life of the clutch.

Cons are, in theory, it would create slightly more shock load on driveline components which would be absorbed by engine/trans mounts.

Only worth it to leave it as is if you want the symptoms to remain and/or get worse.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Not to be a pain here, but ... I mean ... I am kind of a noob here and I am afraid to touch things I dont know things about. What are the pros / cons of removing this thing. Maybe it's worth it for me just to leave it as is? lol.

I appreciate you guys helping me out!

you're driving a golf r which means you appreciate performance. As such, you'd be crazy not to do the CDV + return spring deletes. They're designed to minimize driveline shock caused by improper clutch actuation, and are realistically only beneficial to new manual drivers, and at that rate only for the first few months of them driving stick. Anyone who's been driving stick for at least 2/3 months would be better off without these nannies.

Every person who has owned manuals for most of their lives are appalled by the effects the Clutch Delay Valve and Return Spring have on the clutch operation of these cars. Whenever someone performs the deletes, their reported feelings about the differences are invariably "Now it feels like a clutch is SUPPOSED to!" Or, "I thought something was wrong with it before, now I KNOW there was!" lol

Here are the threads for the deletes, and how to perform them. If you're really that inexperienced, you'd be better off doing the CDV delete with a buddy who has at least bled a clutch before.

CDV delete: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14745

Clutch Spring delete: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21157

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
It does sound awfully close to what actually is happening based on my feel.

ECS has a nice kit with a well made CDV omission device + stainless steel hydraulic line as the top $ way to rid your car of the CDV. Simply gutting the OE part is the no part cost way. Removing the helper spring is really simple, requires removing the kick panel and a hook tool or pliers.

VW put all this junk in the car to make it easy for 95% of the people on the planet to drive the car. If you are here on this forum, you are likely the other 5% and don't want or need that "aid".

Remove those devices and you will be rewarded, trust us.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
ECS has a nice kit with a well made CDV omission device + stainless steel hydraulic line as the top $ way to rid your car of the CDV. Simply gutting the OE part is the no part cost way. Removing the helper spring is really simple, requires removing the kick panel and a hook tool or pliers.

VW put all this junk in the car to make it easy for 95% of the people on the planet to drive the car. If you are here on this forum, you are likely the other 5% and don't want or need that "aid".

Remove those devices and you will be rewarded, trust us.

IDK what a "kick panel is," but i didn't have to "remove" shit, besides the spring itself.

radoroc

Ready to race!
They shouldn't have put these dumb things in their flagship/enthusiast golf. They should have only used them in the regular golf and maybe gti.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
IDK what a "kick panel is," but i didn't have to "remove" shit, besides the spring itself.

Well, since you linked it, I think he meant this step:

"2. Unscrew T20 size torx screw from panel to left of clutch pedal that is near OBDII port. Pull panel forward to remove. This step gives clear view and easier access to spring."

mr_blasto

Passed Driver's Ed
RPM hang with the clutch in and throttle off is a byproduct of flywheel inertia. Slow uptake of the clutch pedal after a rapid depress is a byproduct of the CDV + over center clutch helper spring.

KLEEMANN1 nailed it. I can take my foot off the clutch fast enough while shifting that the clutch pedal loses contact with my foot (as could most people if they tried). When my foot isn't moving as fast, the CDV and spring make the clutch feel lighter than it otherwise would. While many people may prefer the feel of the clutch pedal after making these changes, they seem totally unrelated to what the OP is talking about, unless I am misunderstanding him.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Appreciate the honesty. Any volunteers in the Bay Area?

Sure, I'm in the East Bay in Pleasanton if you wanna shoot over the hills.

If you're driving in 3rd, then change to 4th, do the RPM's not go back down immediately even with the clutch depressed(rev hang)? OR, do the RPM's go back to that RPM you shifted from in 3rd/start to climb up once you've gotten into 4th gear then start giving it throttle?

If the latter, and you're not actually accelerating with your RPM's going higher, your clutch is toast. Does it only happen in higher gears like 3,4,5,6th, or does it happen in any gear?

You could always try putting it in 6th gear at really low RPM then flooring it. This, I guess, is a way some people diagnose their clutch being good or bad. Not sure how accurate it is though.

Last edited:

gtowngovernor

Ready to race!
Sure, I'm in the East Bay in Pleasanton if you wanna shoot over the hills.

If you're driving in 3rd, then change to 4th, do the RPM's not go back down immediately even with the clutch depressed(rev hang)? OR, do the RPM's go back to that RPM you shifted from in 3rd/start to climb up once you've gotten into 4th gear then start giving it throttle?

If the latter, and you're not actually accelerating with your RPM's going higher, your clutch is toast. Does it only happen in higher gears like 3,4,5,6th, or does it happen in any gear?

You could always try putting it in 6th gear at really low RPM then flooring it. This, I guess, is a way some people diagnose their clutch being good or bad. Not sure how accurate it is though.

Thanks! Yeah it would be the latter, I just have to give it a half a second to adjust. The power is there though for all other scenarios so I dont know if the clutch is toast. I have noticed this only between gears 3 - 4.

I will do the test today and get back to you guys. Appreciate you guys being so helpful!

As far as driving to Pleasanton, that sounds good. I'll PM you, if you're available anytime this weekend!

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! Yeah it would be the latter, I just have to give it a half a second to adjust. The power is there though for all other scenarios so I dont know if the clutch is toast. I have noticed this only between gears 3 - 4.

I will do the test today and get back to you guys. Appreciate you guys being so helpful!

As far as driving to Pleasanton, that sounds good. I'll PM you, if you're available anytime this weekend!

Yeah, I may be a little hungover Saturday morning from going to the Warriors game Friday night, but other than that, I'm good lol. :p

stevenj

.........When I am at a high RPM range like on 3rd gear (lets say ~5500) and I super-quickly shift up and press back on the gas (all very fast), somehow the transmission does not adjust the RPMs down (to lets say ~4000) and keeps the RPM where it was on the previous gear.....

I believe what you described is typical "feature" called rev hang, present in many recent car models. This website provides explanation with graphs and videos.

BTW, the clutch delay valve (CDV) slows down the return action of the clutch, making it easier for people not good at driving manuals to prevent accidental stalling on take-offs. Its removal will give the clutch a more direct feel but it will not cure the rev hang. Its removal could expose the driveline to more severe shocks if you keep dumping the clutch repeatedly, but nobody does it on purpose unless they are drag racing. The over-centre spring just reduces the force required to hold the clutch pedal down (e.g when waiting at traffic lights with gear engaged).

Last edited: