GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

port/direct injection

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder how many of you guys didn't realize like me ,that they where purchasing a 7.5 245 gti with direct injection and not port/direct injection. I never realized that vw had reverted back to d/I post WLPT.. I've been with VAG since the late seventies so I should have seen it coming. I'm to old to start doing decokes.:mad:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
It’s been discussed at length by Golf R owners over on VWROC.com forum - discussed much less on golfgtiforum.co.uk, although it’s been mentioned. With quite a few owners leasing or PCP-ing, I dare say these owners aren’t too bothered as it’ll be the second or third owners that’ll have the potential issues associated with carbon build up.

Interestingly, the 2.0 litre EA888 engine in the current model Polo GTI retained dual (port/direct) injection, post-WLTP.

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
If it solved the valve carbon problem I wonder why they didn't leave well alone, as long as it complied with w l p t regs. must be cheaper sticking a GPF on. Strangely enough I looked at a polo gti at Lincoln, very nice it looked too .

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If it solved the valve carbon problem I wonder why they didn't leave well alone, as long as it complied with w l p t regs. must be cheaper sticking a GPF on. Strangely enough I looked at a polo gti at Lincoln, very nice it looked too .

Because DI gets better fuel mileage and most people don't drive enough miles to worry about carbon build up.

rajb

My 335i N54 uses DI and already done one lot of walnut blasting but tbh there are a lot of the guys on the BMW groups that haven't bothered and hitting bigger miles with no issues. I do wonder how quickly it builds up after being done though as to know if it actually was worth it.

rajb

I read somewhere that there will be a port kit available sometime soon. How much was your walnut cleaning ?

A mate and I bought the kit between us and did it ourselves. Most places charge around £250-£300 for the N54, so not sure what the cost would be on the GTI.

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
Gobspacked never realized it was as cheap as that....why so cheap. I think ours is a perfect candidate. I would have expected a grand plus inc programming, and cheaper that a de/coke. My last dozen or so cars have been diesel so I'm a little out a touch.