GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carpet Pulling Up While Vacuuming

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Hello Gang,

Like the title says, the carpet in my R is pulling up in spots where I touch it with the end of the vacuum hose attachment. This is on my personal shop vac I use in my garage. This happened badly on my previous car as well.

The carpet seems to be very high quality so I'm a little surprised. Anyone have any specific attachments or techniques you can recommend that prevents this from happening? I've only vacuumed the car one time so far, but would like to prevent disturbing the carpet with future cleanings if possible.

Thanks in advance.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hello Gang,

Like the title says, the carpet in my R is pulling up in spots where I touch it with the end of the vacuum hose attachment. This is on my personal shop vac I use in my garage. This happened badly on my previous car as well.

The carpet seems to be very high quality so I'm a little surprised. Anyone have any specific attachments or techniques you can recommend that prevents this from happening? I've only vacuumed the car one time so far, but would like to prevent disturbing the carpet with future cleanings if possible.

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean "pulling up?" The carpet and backing are lifting up from the metal underneath? This isn't an issue since the carpet isn't adhered to the sheet metal. Do you mean the fibers are coming out of the backing? Since this is the second car that you've had this happen on, sounds like your vacuuming technique may be the problem.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
What do you mean "pulling up?" The carpet and backing are lifting up from the metal underneath? This isn't an issue since the carpet isn't adhered to the sheet metal. Do you mean the fibers are coming out of the backing? Since this is the second car that you've had this happen on, sounds like your vacuuming technique may be the problem.
The fibers are pulling up and away from the base layer of the carpet leaving puffy spots. I've been cleaning cars my whole life and never had this issue till my last 2 cars. Not sure why.

This is why I asked if there are any attachments or techniques to prevent pulling the carpet up. I'm just using a basic shop vac with an angled attachment like I always have. I figure an attachment with bristles would just agitate the carpet even more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk