GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland Folks, what gas do you run?

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Hey all,

Just wondering what gas do my neighbors here in the Chicagoland area run? I exclusively run Shell V-Power Nitro+. I just filled up on some Exxon Mobil Supreme+ 93, and the car is running smooth. Too early to compare to Shell, but definitely a top tier gas. What do you run?:rolleyes:

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Shell or Mobil here as much as I can. When I'm on road trips (frequently on the interstate between here and Ohio) I use the Sunoco at the Indiana/Ohio rest stops.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Shell, Mobil or BP. No crap gas from Shitgo or other lower tier suppliers, unless it's a last resort and that only rarely happens on road trips.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Shell, Mobil or BP. No crap gas from Shitgo or other lower tier suppliers, unless it's a last resort and that only rarely happens on road trips.

I used BP for the majority of the cars life until I filled up one day and had catastrophic problems due to the fuel being 75% water. For the past year I've been feeding her nothing but V Power;)

A lot of people have told me that Shell is more than likely the best that you can get due to its cleaning detergents and other additives. I have read on the Mobil website that their Supreme+ Premium fuel is sometimes blended/sold as 91 oct in some US parts.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
Typically Costco. But I've used Speedway or other "non top tier" stations on a rare occasion and haven't noticed any issues. When I had my Focus ST, my Accessport had a monitor setting for the "Octane Adjustment Ratio" which would essentially let me know if the fuel was lower quality. Never had a problem regardless of where I filled up.

From my research, Top Tier Fuels typically just have more detergents, and the base fuel for most every station comes from the same refineries in the local area. Effective marketing helps consumers believe there is a vast difference, but I've not noticed a difference in the way either my Focus ST Stage 1 or GTI Stage 1 ran on any of the different 93 octane fuels around my area.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Typically Costco. But I've used Speedway or other "non top tier" stations on a rare occasion and haven't noticed any issues. When I had my Focus ST, my Accessport had a monitor setting for the "Octane Adjustment Ratio" which would essentially let me know if the fuel was lower quality. Never had a problem regardless of where I filled up.

From my research, Top Tier Fuels typically just have more detergents, and the base fuel for most every station comes from the same refineries in the local area. Effective marketing helps consumers believe there is a vast difference, but I've not noticed a difference in the way either my Focus ST Stage 1 or GTI Stage 1 ran on any of the different 93 octane fuels around my area.

Just curious, what does a gallon of Costco premium cost these days? The closest Shell to me is usually $3.99/gallon.