GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bäsemödel: 1.8 TSi Project

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
thanks devwin! go pats!

glad you like the car! Its been a fun car to own and modify. Seat swap was really easy. I got them at a car show/swap meet here in PA. I did not go thinking I would find any mk7 parts, nor was I looking for anything. I especially did not expect to leave with new seats... Here is a thread i did on the install process:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52380

I'll get some pics of the seats here soon...

Splitter coming off on the highway sounds serious! What was it "secured" with?

Also, the Indy 500s are amazing...

Callumvw2001

GTI skirts

So today's big project was to install these GTI skirts!

I ordered them from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172135084034?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They came from californian but were made in taiwan. The quality is probably 7/10. They're nice construction and only one small tab broke while I was opening them up.

They arrived clipped together with the hardware in a separate bag. I unclicked them and did a test fit. I took some pictures of the GTI skirts to see where they landed on the car and used that as my reference.

Installation was a 4/10 in difficulty.

Because I'm fairly OCD, i wanted to get things lined up perfect. I had a roll of gaffer tape so I used that as a straight edge and also used a silver sharpie to mark where I wanted to drill the pilot holes for the screws. I also made small dots on the receiver of the skirt to show where the heads of the screws would land. If you dont do this, you'll likely end up with the skirts installed too far back or forward. I taped the receiver up on the car and dotted out where I wanted the screws to land.

The tape on the car also served to prevent tear-out when drilling the hole. There are 12 holes to drill plus one self tapping screw in the center. I didnt drill a pilot for that one.

Once I made the marks, I drilled and 1/8th in pilot hole. First one was scary! No going back! Left side took a bit longer as I did that one first. Second side took half the time. If you set up a straight edge of some kind to get yourself a guide line you'll be much better off.

Once the screws are in, you can slide the receiving side on to the heads of the screws. I tightened them down once everything was in place. Once the receivers were installed, I clicked in the skirt itself.

Fitment was 7/10. I'm happy with the look they add and for $100 I think the fitment is pretty good. A lot depends on how you mocked it up and drilled the screws. If your rockers are perfect and have no dings or bulges you'll be in good shape. Mine had a small one on the front passenger side which prevented the receiver from sitting completely flush. Only noticeable if youre on the hunt for it.

Overhall, happy with how it came out! Interested to see how they will hold up!
Hi, have you had any troubles with them yet? Any rust or paint flaking?
Thanks!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone its been a real long time... my hobby attention has, over the years, found its way towards other things so modding efforts have given way to more maintenance efforts... car has been, until this week, great and is about to hit 140k... I just had to take it in for the water pump and thermo housing issue that seems to have been a common one... at least it will be taken care of and (hopefully) wont fail in the future!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Unacceptable... more mods please! This is one of my favorite builds/journals on here, everything done the right way and with great attention to detail.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
ah that's very kind thank you! its been a really fun process and I have learned a ton and met so many cool people...

I will say, I am getting some pretty horrendous peeling of my helix lights and front bumper... it doesn't look great at all... not a thing I want to spend money on but as soon as I find a good condition TR golf (or maybe even R) bumper, id like to jump on it...

I also started googling MIB2 swaps this week as id really like to add CarPlay

Wolphe

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 TSi
Encouraging that you're still at it with the mods & improvements! My very own bäsemödel (S) is at about 136k mi, and I just had to perform the water pump/thermo housing service as well. At least it was caught before failure — and the powertrain still appears quite reliable. Any other long-term mechanical issues you've seen, or are keeping an eye on?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Encouraging that you're still at it with the mods & improvements! My very own bäsemödel (S) is at about 136k mi, and I just had to perform the water pump/thermo housing service as well. At least it was caught before failure — and the powertrain still appears quite reliable. Any other long-term mechanical issues you've seen, or are keeping an eye on?
So far so good on my car! Water pump and then had to replace the turbo due to wastegate failure (around 80k) and I have had two different water ingress issues in the trunk and passenger door... other than that, no other issues. I need to do LCAs at some point soon... its all maintenance stuff at this point...

Best to you on your build!