GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rubbing (large dips)

carbonfold

Passed Driver's Ed
Setup: RSE10 18x8.5 ET45, Michelin PS A/S 3+ 235/40ZR18, Bilstein B12 Pro kit and fender screw mod.

I'm finding on large / deeper dips I'm getting rubbing on the driver's front. From everything I've read is that I should get zero rubbing with my setup... however I am. Should I fender roll?

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Could be the 235 tires and if they have a very square sidewall? I run the B12 kit with 225/45/18 Michelin Pilot SuperSports on 18x8 BBS CO ET44mm and get no rubbing in the front. No fender screw mod

carbonfold

Passed Driver's Ed
hmm... I know Michelin tires run big in general so maybe? I haven't gotten down and fully inspected for the contact point so I'm just assuming outer fender rub.

I'm only on day two of the new suspension.

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
i dont think you need a fender roll. if you look under, i believe it rubs where the bumper and fender meets ( location of screw) my previous setup was 18x8.5 et43 with 245/40 PS4S, i was rubbing so i thought a fender roll would solve it. nope i was still rubbing. my current setup is 18x8 et45 with 235/40 PS4S, i still rub on deep dips. im on coilovers.

carbonfold

Passed Driver's Ed
hmm... so we need to do the fender screw mod AND do a fender screw mod at the front location (or some form of it)? What did you do to solve your rubbing issue or have you yet?

edit:

I did do the fender screw mod toward the front section of the fender. I haven't looked yet but is there one right at the border of the fender and bumper?

i dont think you need a fender roll. if you look under, i believe it rubs where the bumper and fender meets ( location of screw) my previous setup was 18x8.5 et43 with 245/40 PS4S, i was rubbing so i thought a fender roll would solve it. nope i was still rubbing. my current setup is 18x8 et45 with 235/40 PS4S, i still rub on deep dips. im on coilovers.

Last edited:

carbonfold

Passed Driver's Ed
When I ran the same setup but on the Solo Werks S1 coil overs I got zero rubbing and it was a touch lower than this. Wonder if progressive (Solo Werks) vs linear (B12 Euro Eibach) springs has anything to with it when it is getting really compressed in the big dips? Granted, I went through two bad Solo Werks kits because the springs rates were all over the place and collapsing too much.

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
i havent solved it yet. i was gona work on it over the weekend but got busy with other stuff plus rain in forecast as well. yea i think the suspension too. mine are soft in my opinion (ST coilover)

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Did you remove the screw, the plastic fastener and bend the tab in?

ejones725

Passed Driver's Ed
Could you send a pic of your setup? Curious as to how square the tires fit and how close they are to the fender.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Tires definitely matter.

I was rubbing on big dips with an even less aggressive setup before I did the fender screw mod. 18x8 ET45 with Nokian zLine 235/40R18. No spacers. There is no way that should have rubbed, so the Nokian's must have been super square or something. I am on a minimal drop of about 1"/.8" F/R with Eibach Euros, just like yours except I have Koni shocks.

It look like I have plenty of room now with Michelin PS4S 235/45R18 on 17x8 ET45 wheels. While the Michilin tires are certainly not stretched, they have just a bit of that stretched look, a slight inward slope from the wheel to the top of the tire, compared to how square the Nokians sat on the wheels.

Edit: Looked at your pics. Your Michelin look like mine. Good rim protection and a bit of inward slope to the tread. You have some poke that I do not though, due to the wider wheels I am assuming.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
There is a bit of metal that sticks out where the fender meets the bumper, at about 10 'o clock. I've never had rubbing issues up top where the screw is, but on big dips where the suspension compresses hard and slow I would get some contact there. Take a dremel to that and round it out as best you can. Otherwise just make sure your tabs that the screws were in don't have the inserts still in them and are bent up and out of the way.

Also if you get an alignment and see that the front camber is uneven, the shop might be able to knock the subframe to even it out a bit and that can make the difference as well.